Going in 4WD over 45 mph

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
There's a rather huge difference between driving in a snowstorm and driving on snow-covered roads. There's also a huge difference between keeping up with traffic and driving well.

I've been in plenty of driving situations when it was snowing and the roads were wet. In that case, the road condition is the control factor, not the form of precipitation.

'Keeping up with traffic' means you're letting other drivers of unknown skill dictate how you drive. Oh, that's so wrong in so many ways.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
He said highway. Out on a flat smooth dirt road in the middle of nowhere is one thing. On an interstate is another. Even if there is no one around you. Visibility in a snow storm is not good enough to drive 70mph safely. As I mentioned before, youtube is full of videos that start out with people driving Subarus at 80mph in snowstorms with no one around them and end with a massive pileup and many dead.

Lets not confuse what the OP said by injecting all these different scenarios. We can play the "what if" game all day long, but this isn't the thread for that.
Clearly you’ve not driven on a Nevada interstate, flat, straight, visibility for miles, often nobody around, and yet still snow covered. When the snow is accompanied by fog or falling heavily, you need to slow down. I’ve been in numerous scenarios where cruising along at freeway speed isn’t the doomsday scenario so many made it out to be in this thread.

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
I should add this is a 2021 JLU Rubicon to differentiate between different AWD/4WD systems.
The 2021 JLUR is available with Selec-Trac full-time 4WD as an option - if you got option, you are fine going as fast as you want in "4 Auto" - 4 Hi, in which your transfer case is locked (so no center diff), is another story

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Selec-trac will save jeep

Sponsored

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s my engineering two cents worth. 4WD HI is for slippery road surfaces. Sharp turns and dry pavement is NOT recommended. I’ve run 4WD HI on light snow/ice covered roads at reasonable speeds (50+ MPH) for the conditions in all the Jeeps I’ve owned over the past 30 years, keep in mind you never need to turn your wheel over 2deg on highways therefore all wheels and driveline should turn the same. Set all the speeds arguments aside as all of this is covered in your owners manual.

Jrney

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Newbie question. It's recommended to go into 4WD less than 45mph. What if I'm going 70 and hit a snow storm? Must I slow down on the interstate?
SHIFTING into 4WD above 45 mph is not a good idea. DRIVING above 45 in 4WD is fine. I've been doing it for over 45 years to help myself stay pointed straight when conditions are bad. My '77 FJ40 could go all the way around once before I realized it if I wasn't in 4WD!
That said, driving at 70 mph in a snowstorm might just get you a Darwin Award. 4WD will get you going, but slowing and stopping are no different from any other vehicle. Around here most of the vehicles in the ditch are 4WD, driven there by people that felt invincible.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Clearly you’ve not driven on a Nevada interstate, flat, straight, visibility for miles, often nobody around, and yet still snow covered. When the snow is accompanied by fog or falling heavily, you need to slow down. I’ve been in numerous scenarios where cruising along at freeway speed isn’t the doomsday scenario so many made it out to be in this thread.
Lets not confuse what the OP said by injecting all these different scenarios. We can play the "what if" game all day long, but this isn't the thread for that.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
I don’t recall was OP’s last name Zebco?

With the 8 speed auto can I down shift into reverse, in 4WD going 70 mph in a snow cover parking lot in the middle of a snow storm in a 8 month old JL and not worry about warranty issues?

Last edited:

Equator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2021
Ok, when in 2WD, is the Jeep front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? If it is rear wheel drive, putting it in 4WD might give you better steering and directional control since at least one of the wheels is trying to pull you in the direction you want to go.

Sponsored

Ahre

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ordered Mar 14, 2020
Occupation
Retired
Just answer his question! YES or NO!
Shifting into 4H below 45 mph is a RECOMMENDATION.
He's trying to establish a maximum speed for shifting into 4H without causing mechanical damage. Stop Judging!

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid
Ok, when in 2WD, is the Jeep front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? If it is rear wheel drive, putting it in 4WD might give you better steering and directional control since at least one of the wheels is trying to pull you in the direction you want to go.
It's rear wheel drive in 2WD

Equator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2021
Thanks, I always assumed that but figured I should double-check. New Jeep owner, sorry for stupid question. If conditions are sloppy / slushy / rainy, putting it in 4WD might help your steering, even at speed a bit over 45, and maybe keep the back end from whipping around if just in RWD. Just addressing the "why over 45 in 4WD" questions.

Ahre

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Ordered Mar 14, 2020
Occupation
Retired
That isn’t the question OP asked. He asked about shifting into 4wd, and whether or not he needs to slow down to less than 45mph to shift into 4wd. The answer is yes, you must slow down.
If you must or are required to slow down to 45 mph, why is it stated in he manual as a recommendation?