Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the middle of installing the DV+ and a Mishimoto intercooler pipe. Should I or shouldn't I use the optional piston spring. The GFB instructions say that using the piston spring is like "sport" mode, improving throttle response but may pop a P2261 fault code.

What are your thoughts? Thank you very much!

Jeep Wrangler JL Go Fast Bits DV+ install question 16702705507505200322684463199477
Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I installed the optional piston spring. Only 20ish miles driven so far, but no check engine light. It definitely feels more responsive, than with the factory intercooler pipe and blow off valve. Mishimoto intake should arrive in a couple days, so that will go on before the week is out.

One thing worth mentioning, is make sure you have long enough hardware before rendering the Jeep inoperable. The 3 bolts that come with the Go Fast Bits DV+ are not long enough to attach it to the Mishimoto intercooler pipe.

Fortunately, I had my brother floating around and was able to send him up for hardware. 2.25" long stainless bolts got everything back together.

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 2.0 Sport S Granite
I've had the optional spring for over 2yrs now, no codes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the stock intake/exhaust/intercooler pipe?
I've actually been sitting on the dv+ for a couple of months, figuring it was best to wait until getting a Mishimoto intercooler pipe and install both at the same time. The Mishimoto intake was backordered and is due to arrive in the next day or so. I opted for the dry filter because I work in a very dusty yard and the oiled filter would be mud in short order.

As far as exhaust, I installed the Borla Touring Climber cat-back a couple of years ago. I primarily did that for the added ground clearance, but immediately noticed that the engine felt more free revving and less restricted. That started me down the path of looking into ways to help the engine breathe better, and possibly add more oomph without compromising longevity.

I ended up installing the optional piston spring in the dv+.

I know you weren't asking me, but I'm interested in hearing any thoughts none the less. Thanks.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I've actually been sitting on the dv+ for a couple of months, figuring it was best to wait until getting a Mishimoto intercooler pipe and install both at the same time. The Mishimoto intake was backordered and is due to arrive in the next day or so. I opted for the dry filter because I work in a very dusty yard and the oiled filter would be mud in short order.

As far as exhaust, I installed the Borla Touring Climber cat-back a couple of years ago. I primarily did that for the added ground clearance, but immediately noticed that the engine felt more free revving and less restricted. That started me down the path of looking into ways to help the engine breathe better, and possibly add more oomph without compromising longevity.

I ended up installing the optional piston spring in the dv+.

I know you weren't asking me, but I'm interested in hearing any thoughts none the less. Thanks.
I recently installed a Banks dry filter intake. Mishimoto's lack of CARB EO makes it not legal in my area, and I'd rather not have to uninstall/reinstall every emission inspection... especially since it's immediately visible under the hood. The intake makes a little more noise, but honestly I can barely hear it at normal driving conditions. I do like the induction noise when getting on the throttle hard, but the low throttle/high-boost situations do sound kind of "windy". I was also looking for an intake without any Helmholtz chambers, and I think this was the only one. The only things I don't like are the plexiglass window (due to the BANKS branding) which I will be changing to a powder coated plate, and the lack of support above the radiator (which the OEM & Mishimoto have).

No other power mods at this time, but I have been thinking about the Turbosmarts plumb-back diverter valve, Mishimoto intercooler pipe, and some 3" exhaust either from AFE or this not-yet released Banks exhaust... waiting on some reviews, as this might be too loud. I'm not really a fan of disassembling the stock diverter valve to get the DV+ to work, and would end up buying a second OEM valve as a spare anyway... and at that point I'm pretty close cost-wise to the Turbosmart valve. No idea if there's any performance benefits of one vs. the other though.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed a Banks dry filter intake. Mishimoto's lack of CARB EO makes it not legal in my area, and I'd rather not have to uninstall/reinstall every emission inspection... especially since it's immediately visible under the hood. The intake makes a little more noise, but honestly I can barely hear it at normal driving conditions. I do like the induction noise when getting on the throttle hard, but the low throttle/high-boost situations do sound kind of "windy". I was also looking for an intake without any Helmholtz chambers, and I think this was the only one. The only things I don't like are the plexiglass window (due to the BANKS branding) which I will be changing to a powder coated plate, and the lack of support above the radiator (which the OEM & Mishimoto have).

No other power mods at this time, but I have been thinking about the Turbosmarts plumb-back diverter valve, Mishimoto intercooler pipe, and some 3" exhaust either from AFE or this not-yet released Banks exhaust... waiting on some reviews, as this might be too loud. I'm not really a fan of disassembling the stock diverter valve to get the DV+ to work, and would end up buying a second OEM valve as a spare anyway... and at that point I'm pretty close cost-wise to the Turbosmart valve. No idea if there's any performance benefits of one vs. the other though.
I'd have to go back and read the r&d articles that Mishimoto put out on their intake, but I thought I remember reading that the original design eliminated the helmholtz chambers. What they found was a drop in low and mid range torque, so they ended up including them in the final design. Again, I'd have to go back to verify that.

As far as the carb eo compliance, here's a screenshot of the product page...
Jeep Wrangler JL Go Fast Bits DV+ install question Screenshot_20221207-144408_Chrome

One of the install videos I recently watched ended with the installer attaching the included CARB EO decal on the top of the filter housing.

I'm pretty sure that the only benefit of the dv+ over others, like the Turbosmart, is cost. Like you mentioned, retaining the factory solenoid is the main difference. I must admit that I wasn't crazy about gutting the piston and its integrated skirt from the factory valve. It's very fragile plastic and instantly broke into pieces. I spent the whole time hoping that it would work out in the end, because there was no turning back.

One comforting thing that's very worth mentioning to you, is that the Mishimoto intercooler pipe was specifically designed for either the factory or the Turbosmart valve. That will save you from my 2nd uh oh moment, which was not having long enough hardware on hand to install the dv+.

I'm still toying with the idea of a tune that would fully exploit the potential torque increase from these bolt ons. The Eurocompolsion cloned ecu and stock ecu package has grabbed my attention.

Thanks for your responses. Very much appreciated!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'd have to go back and read the r&d articles that Mishimoto put out on their intake, but I thought I remember reading that the original design eliminated the helmholtz chambers. What they found was a drop in low and mid range torque, so they ended up including them in the final design. Again, I'd have to go back to verify that.

As far as the carb eo compliance, here's a screenshot of the product page...
Jeep Wrangler JL Go Fast Bits DV+ install question Screenshot_20221207-144408_Chrome

One of the install videos I recently watched ended with the installer attaching the included CARB EO decal on the top of the filter housing.

I'm pretty sure that the only benefit of the dv+ over others, like the Turbosmart, is cost. Like you mentioned, retaining the factory solenoid is the main difference. I must admit that I wasn't crazy about gutting the piston and its integrated skirt from the factory valve. It's very fragile plastic and instantly broke into pieces. I spent the whole time hoping that it would work out in the end, because there was no turning back.

One comforting thing that's very worth mentioning to you, is that the Mishimoto intercooler pipe was specifically designed for either the factory or the Turbosmart valve. That will save you from my 2nd uh oh moment, which was not having long enough hardware on hand to install the dv+.

I'm still toying with the idea of a tune that would fully exploit the potential torque increase from these bolt ons. The Eurocompolsion cloned ecu and stock ecu package has grabbed my attention.

Thanks for your responses. Very much appreciated!
I guess Mishimoto does have a CARB EO now... not sure how I missed that. I hate to sound like a Banks fanboy, but I do like that all their products are CARB approved... As I've gotten older I've learned it's just easier to comply with the laws.

I'm pretty sure Mishimoto is calling their Helmholtz chambers "dyno-tested resonators". They can be seen as the growths off the side of the tube. I also noticed that they re-use the lower half of the box & turbo coupler, whereas the Banks replaces the entire box & attaches closer to the turbo... I actually like the Mishimoto style better as it modifies less and reuses more OEM parts. In theory the Banks should be better for performance, but in reality I doubt we'll ever see a noticeable difference with the tuning available.

mmai-jlp-18_1.jpg

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess Mishimoto does have a CARB EO now... not sure how I missed that. I hate to sound like a Banks fanboy, but I do like that all their products are CARB approved... As I've gotten older I've learned it's just easier to comply with the laws.

I'm pretty sure Mishimoto is calling their Helmholtz chambers "dyno-tested resonators". They can be seen as the growths off the side of the tube. I also noticed that they re-use the lower half of the box & turbo coupler, whereas the Banks replaces the entire box & attaches closer to the turbo... I actually like the Mishimoto style better as it modifies less and reuses more OEM parts. In theory the Banks should be better for performance, but in reality I doubt we'll ever see a noticeable difference with the tuning available.

Jeep Wrangler JL Go Fast Bits DV+ install question mmai-jlp-18_1
Oh, don't take me the wrong way. I'm not at all trying to sway you in any particular direction, just wanted to mention that mishimoto's intake is carb eo certified to both open up your options and to keep it in the running for other like-minded people.

NY is also a carb state, so I also try to stay within certain parameters. My jeep has been modified far enough beyond certain lawful technicalities, like bumper and headlamp heights and tire poke and whatnot, but I refrain from pushing it when it comes to engine stuff and window tint.

Yeah, one of the things that drew me to Mishimoto's intake was it not decreasing the Jeeps ability of forcing water. The only additional opening to the filter housing is right on top of the outboard end of the lid. Also, it does replace the rubber turbo coupler with their reinforced silicone version. It shows that piece in the pic you posted, unless I'm confused about the part in question. I also notice that the pic doesn't show the bullet aluminum manifold that bolts to the lid, which accommodates the egr hosing.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Also, it does replace the rubber turbo coupler with their reinforced silicone version. It shows that piece in the pic you posted, unless I'm confused about the part in question.
They're different... compare these videos (hopefully they start at the correct time).

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I actually had the Turbosmart PB first and it was great until it wasn't. I started having issues in which the engine felt choked (no acceleration). I uninstalled it, went stock and tested - no issues. Went back to the TS and it came back. I messaged TurboSmart and got a refund. I wasn't the only one. Great customer service but the product wasn't reliable enough for me. The DV+ has been flawless for me so far.

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They're different... compare these videos (hopefully they start at the correct time).

Oh yeah, different in deed. And yes, they both started at the perfect spot. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I actually had the Turbosmart PB first and it was great until it wasn't. I started having issues in which the engine felt choked (no acceleration). I uninstalled it, went stock and tested - no issues. Went back to the TS and it came back. I messaged TurboSmart and got a refund. I wasn't the only one. Great customer service but the product wasn't reliable enough for me. The DV+ has been flawless for me so far.
Interesting... I definitely value reliability higher than anything else.

Are you using the extra spring in the DV+?

Avar928

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting... I definitely value reliability higher than anything else.

Are you using the extra spring in the DV+?
Yep. No issues. I wanted to like TurboSmart. I know a lot of other customers had positive experiences. Maybe mine was from a bad batch but the DV+ has been great so far.
Sponsored