Gas mileage so far

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Anyone have info on gas mileage they have been getting so far? I am about 16 with a mix of driving in a rubicon. Not getting the 20mpg on window sticker. I assume that is based off sport model?
I’m breaking the car in too so it’s not like I’m driving hard or anything either.
What are you guys getting??
Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Yeah...they use the very base model with the smallest tires for the mpg tests...and that applies to the whole line. The Rubi will get less by a decent amount.

16 range is what I get in my '12 JKUR around town usually. Easy on the hwy (70-75) is in the 17-18 range. That's a stock, manual JKUR.

So you're probably about right. I would think your hwy will be improved over the JKUR more than anything.

vilacr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I'm getting about 18.5 mainly in the city. I have a Sahara JLU

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Anyone have info on gas mileage they have been getting so far? I am about 16 with a mix of driving in a rubicon. Not getting the 20mpg on window sticker. I assume that is based off sport model?
I’m breaking the car in too so it’s not like I’m driving hard or anything either.
What are you guys getting??
way to go...
kittenandgun.jpg

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
It seems deceptive to market the JLUR at 23 HWY unless it's true or not far from it. My guess is that the MPG numbers are within some margin of error to apply to all trims. At least I hope so. Different gearing, significantly different size tires, different aerodynamics based on increased ground clearance.. I think these are technically and functionally different enough to require a separate certification but maybe not?

Sponsored

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Once the Jeep breaks in things will get better, keep in mind the TFL jeep and others reviewed had plenty of miles on them... with that said, Rubi will never be as good as the sport in terms of MPG stock for stock.

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
I was just about to post this same thread.

I'm getting around 18.3 right now, with a mix of back roads (45-50 MPH) for 70% of the tank and highway (65 MPH) for the remaining 30%. Now, I'm still on my first tank from the dealer, so we will see how it is once broken in...and using premium brand gas. I am a little bummed because I thought I'd get the 20 as mentioned.

I watched a video about the JL from the TFLnow guys (see video below) where they reviewed a Sahara. They mentioned that they got over 400 miles on a tank, putting them somewhere in the 20 MPG category. I won't get that...at least not yet. I'm looking somewhere just over 350 miles. Like @Mattyp1214 said, I'm still in the break-in period and am taking it easy.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
At current gas prices with the ~10k miles/year I drive, the difference between 18mpg and 20mpg amounts to about 35 cents a day. You'll save that on depreciation alone if you select a Rubicon over a Sahara.

Range per tank is more important to me, and that extra 25-50 miles or so you probably get from a Sahara or Sport can have a meaningful impact. I wish Jeep offered an OEM extended-range fuel tank like Ford, Porsche, and some other manufacturers (~35 gallons).

alphalife9

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
At current gas prices with the ~10k miles/year I drive, the difference between 18mpg and 20mpg amounts to about 35 cents a day. You'll save that on depreciation alone if you select a Rubicon over a Sahara.

Range per tank is more important to me, and that extra 25-50 miles or so you probably get from a Sahara or Sport can have a meaningful impact. I wish Jeep offered an OEM extended-range fuel tank like Ford, Porsche, and some other manufacturers (~35 gallons).
Same. I think the JL's tank holds 1 gallon less than the JK's. Hopefully, the aftermarket offers some seamless solutions like they've done with the JK.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Currently averaging 15 mpg with mostly city driving and a bit of high way. I use regular gas from Costco but because of the winter, the heater is on for the majority of the time + auto-start. Took me $45 to fill her up last week.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Wow I get 16 in my JKU with 35" tires and 4.88 gears.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
4.4 mpg on the JK, hand calculated, beating on it. Then again, it has a supercharged LS7. Ha. If you take 'er easy you'll get 9-10.

But seriously, I would only expect a 1-2 mpg increase over the stock JK with the new JL, assuming most of that is city driving. High way driving I doubt it's much better... EPA tests are a joke and not real world at all.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I was just about to post this same thread.

I'm getting around 18.3 right now, with a mix of back roads (45-50 MPH) for 70% of the tank and highway (65 MPH) for the remaining 30%. Now, I'm still on my first tank from the dealer, so we will see how it is once broken in...and using premium brand gas. I am a little bummed because I thought I'd get the 20 as mentioned.

I watched a video about the JL from the TFLnow guys (see video below) where they reviewed a Sahara. They mentioned that they got over 400 miles on a tank, putting them somewhere in the 20 MPG category. I won't get that...at least not yet. I'm looking somewhere just over 350 miles. Like @Mattyp1214 said, I'm still in the break-in period and am taking it easy.

Haha.. I was going to mention that video.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Currently averaging 15 mpg with mostly city driving and a bit of high way. I use regular gas from Costco but because of the winter, the heater is on for the majority of the time + auto-start. Took me $45 to fill her up last week.
Which gas are you using?

captainjack

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I have over 700 miles in my JL Sport S. I have averaged 20.9. I put rubicon hard rock wheels on that are a bit heavier than the stock Sport wheels and have the Dana 44 in the back because of the limited slip differential. Also using regular gas.

jl with hard rock rims.jpg
Sponsored