Gas mileage so far

Mattyp1214

Well-Known Member
First Name
Matt
Joined
Oct 27, 2017
Messages
827
Reaction score
597
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Anyone have info on gas mileage they have been getting so far? I am about 16 with a mix of driving in a rubicon. Not getting the 20mpg on window sticker. I assume that is based off sport model?
I’m breaking the car in too so it’s not like I’m driving hard or anything either.
What are you guys getting??
Advertisement

 

robplumm

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2017
Messages
141
Reaction score
74
Location
Newport News, VA
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Yeah...they use the very base model with the smallest tires for the mpg tests...and that applies to the whole line. The Rubi will get less by a decent amount.

16 range is what I get in my '12 JKUR around town usually. Easy on the hwy (70-75) is in the 17-18 range. That's a stock, manual JKUR.

So you're probably about right. I would think your hwy will be improved over the JKUR more than anything.
 

vilacr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2018
Messages
108
Reaction score
31
Location
Alabama
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
I'm getting about 18.5 mainly in the city. I have a Sahara JLU
 

BeeLDub

Well-Known Member
First Name
Brandon
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
219
Reaction score
313
Location
Eastern PA
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Anyone have info on gas mileage they have been getting so far? I am about 16 with a mix of driving in a rubicon. Not getting the 20mpg on window sticker. I assume that is based off sport model?
I’m breaking the car in too so it’s not like I’m driving hard or anything either.
What are you guys getting??
way to go...
kittenandgun.jpg
 

alphalife9

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Nov 6, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
183
Location
Rio Rancho, NM
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
It seems deceptive to market the JLUR at 23 HWY unless it's true or not far from it. My guess is that the MPG numbers are within some margin of error to apply to all trims. At least I hope so. Different gearing, significantly different size tires, different aerodynamics based on increased ground clearance.. I think these are technically and functionally different enough to require a separate certification but maybe not?
 

JHJLUR

Well-Known Member
First Name
Justin
Joined
Dec 27, 2017
Messages
516
Reaction score
567
Location
SE PA
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Once the Jeep breaks in things will get better, keep in mind the TFL jeep and others reviewed had plenty of miles on them... with that said, Rubi will never be as good as the sport in terms of MPG stock for stock.
 

se7en

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
378
Reaction score
442
Location
Knoxville, TN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU w/ Sky One-Touch
I was just about to post this same thread.

I'm getting around 18.3 right now, with a mix of back roads (45-50 MPH) for 70% of the tank and highway (65 MPH) for the remaining 30%. Now, I'm still on my first tank from the dealer, so we will see how it is once broken in...and using premium brand gas. I am a little bummed because I thought I'd get the 20 as mentioned.

I watched a video about the JL from the TFLnow guys (see video below) where they reviewed a Sahara. They mentioned that they got over 400 miles on a tank, putting them somewhere in the 20 MPG category. I won't get that...at least not yet. I'm looking somewhere just over 350 miles. Like @Mattyp1214 said, I'm still in the break-in period and am taking it easy.

 

The_Phew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2017
Messages
428
Reaction score
699
Location
USA
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
At current gas prices with the ~10k miles/year I drive, the difference between 18mpg and 20mpg amounts to about 35 cents a day. You'll save that on depreciation alone if you select a Rubicon over a Sahara.

Range per tank is more important to me, and that extra 25-50 miles or so you probably get from a Sahara or Sport can have a meaningful impact. I wish Jeep offered an OEM extended-range fuel tank like Ford, Porsche, and some other manufacturers (~35 gallons).
 

alphalife9

Well-Known Member
First Name
David
Joined
Nov 6, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
183
Location
Rio Rancho, NM
Vehicle(s)
Z51 C6, Sting Gray JLUR
At current gas prices with the ~10k miles/year I drive, the difference between 18mpg and 20mpg amounts to about 35 cents a day. You'll save that on depreciation alone if you select a Rubicon over a Sahara.

Range per tank is more important to me, and that extra 25-50 miles or so you probably get from a Sahara or Sport can have a meaningful impact. I wish Jeep offered an OEM extended-range fuel tank like Ford, Porsche, and some other manufacturers (~35 gallons).
Same. I think the JL's tank holds 1 gallon less than the JK's. Hopefully, the aftermarket offers some seamless solutions like they've done with the JK.
 

jroman

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jorge
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
733
Reaction score
1,042
Location
Chicago, IL
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
1
Currently averaging 15 mpg with mostly city driving and a bit of high way. I use regular gas from Costco but because of the winter, the heater is on for the majority of the time + auto-start. Took me $45 to fill her up last week.
 

offcamber

Well-Known Member
First Name
Bob
Joined
Aug 7, 2017
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
1,279
Location
Dallas, TX
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Wow I get 16 in my JKU with 35" tires and 4.88 gears.
 

guarnibl

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2017
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
1,660
Location
Scottsdale
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
4.4 mpg on the JK, hand calculated, beating on it. Then again, it has a supercharged LS7. Ha. If you take 'er easy you'll get 9-10.

But seriously, I would only expect a 1-2 mpg increase over the stock JK with the new JL, assuming most of that is city driving. High way driving I doubt it's much better... EPA tests are a joke and not real world at all.
 

Smarrtazz

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trina
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
31,194
Reaction score
144,113
Location
Fl
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I was just about to post this same thread.

I'm getting around 18.3 right now, with a mix of back roads (45-50 MPH) for 70% of the tank and highway (65 MPH) for the remaining 30%. Now, I'm still on my first tank from the dealer, so we will see how it is once broken in...and using premium brand gas. I am a little bummed because I thought I'd get the 20 as mentioned.

I watched a video about the JL from the TFLnow guys (see video below) where they reviewed a Sahara. They mentioned that they got over 400 miles on a tank, putting them somewhere in the 20 MPG category. I won't get that...at least not yet. I'm looking somewhere just over 350 miles. Like @Mattyp1214 said, I'm still in the break-in period and am taking it easy.

Haha.. I was going to mention that video.
 

Smarrtazz

Well-Known Member
First Name
Trina
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
31,194
Reaction score
144,113
Location
Fl
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Currently averaging 15 mpg with mostly city driving and a bit of high way. I use regular gas from Costco but because of the winter, the heater is on for the majority of the time + auto-start. Took me $45 to fill her up last week.
Which gas are you using?
 

captainjack

Well-Known Member
First Name
Carol
Joined
Dec 6, 2017
Messages
56
Reaction score
34
Location
bethesda, md
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I have over 700 miles in my JL Sport S. I have averaged 20.9. I put rubicon hard rock wheels on that are a bit heavier than the stock Sport wheels and have the Dana 44 in the back because of the limited slip differential. Also using regular gas.

jl with hard rock rims.jpg
 
Advertisement

Freeland Jeep
 
Advertisement
Top