Gas mileage so far

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
Yes. The Duellers are mild rolling-resistance AT tyres, the KMs have much higher resistance (which is typical for MTs). The JK Rubi KM tire combo (tyre+rim) are also slightly heavier too.

As for the rating, especially in the JK where you had 3 axle ratios, 3 trim weight classes, 2 different tops (3 in the JL), multiples tyre options (all before Special Editions), certifying for all combos is unrealistic.
095C9620-968F-4AD3-B315-3D0BC05C8D11.gif
Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
That's the inl
Are you guys doing a manual calculation from the pump as well? How far is the trip computer off from the manual calculation?
That's the only way to do it, using the computer gives you real time. I'll know in the Am. This is my second filling coming, the first one I thought I reset the trip but didn't..

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
And let's all be honest, we don't buy these things for milage. On a side note maybe @The Grape Ape can chime in, but my first fill up was prior to coming home from about 70 miles away from my home, all highway with a 70 mph speed limit. I was keeping it around 71/72 and used some cruise control. Upon checking the computer on the way home I noticed I was averaging 19 mpgs. I did fill up the first tank with mid grade. I drive some highway everyday to work and have not seen 19mpg since..... Could that have anything to do with the gas I used? @thegrapeape

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And let's all be honest, we don't buy these things for milage. On a side note maybe @The Grape Ape can chime in, but my first fill up was prior to coming home from about 70 miles away from my home, all highway with a 70 mph speed limit. I was keeping it around 71/72 and used some cruise control. Upon checking the computer on the way home I noticed I was averaging 19 mpgs. I did fill up the first tank with mid grade. I drive some highway everyday to work and have not seen 19mpg since..... Could that have anything to do with the gas I used? @thegrapeape
Which grade should we use?

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
If you’re using a gas/ethanol blend it’s going to have a negative effect on mileage. Around here 10% blend is everywhere and pure 100% gas harder to find. It’ll account for a couple of miles per gallon difference. What are you using?
You also can't be sure how much corn they are pumping. A dealer close to me had complaints of poor fuel mileage, people were buying fuel at the same station. They went and tested their fuel and found they were pumping 22% ethanol

Sponsored

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
@Dynomite1371 , your fuel economy will change based on the grade/octane, and also ethanol content (in addition to other things like altitude changes, wind reistance, road grade, ambient temp, etc) but fuel wise, higher octane should get you a small.. very small boost in MPG, but ethanol will rob you of even more efficiency.
While real world might not change significantly, the calculations of the engine computer and resultant EVIC avg/estimate might change the calculations. I know that one many vehicles I’ve owned and rented changing the Octane fuel will recalibrate the DTE without driver intervention, so the comouters are definitely taking it into account if they can sense the difference.

Again I think the impact would be over-estimated by the system and real-world would likely be closer among the various octane levels.

Also beware of cheaper winter fuel additives from cheap stations, all winter gas greatly impact fuel economy despite having the same octane rating, I don’t trust the cheap station to not take shortcuts. I tend to go with my top fuel choices in the winter, and don’t care as much in the summer.

giangvann

First Name
Giang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Sahara Anvil Soft Top
As for the rating, especially in the JK where you had 3 axle ratios, 3 trim weight classes, 2 different tops (3 in the JL), multiples tyre options (all before Special Editions), certifying for all combos is unrealistic.
And let's all be honest, we don't buy these things for milage.
After I had posted, I thought about it for a second and remembered how many special editions there were. While you're right it is a little unrealistic, it's all about informed decisions. And yeah, we're not buying these things for gas mileage, but it's nice to know how bad it really is. I'll say, the gas mileage estimates with the Duelers on my Sahara were pretty spot on. I didn't expect changing the tires would hurt it that badly. I'm still happy with my Wrangler... though that JL is look nice!

Also, I did a quick search and found this:

https://www.jeep.com/jeep-capabilities/fuel-efficiency.html

It lists mileage per trim package and pretty much lists the same for all. It's a little misleading/false if anything. Though there is a "2" that covers them... Actual mileage may vary. Haha. I'll shut up before someone throws rocks at me.

Sponsored

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Dynomite1371 , your fuel economy will change based on the grade/octane, and also ethanol content (in addition to other things like altitude changes, wind reistance, road grade, ambient temp, etc) but fuel wise, higher octane should get you a small.. very small boost in MPG, but ethanol will rob you of even more efficiency.
While real world might not change significantly, the calculations of the engine computer and resultant EVIC avg/estimate might change the calculations. I know that one many vehicles I’ve owned and rented changing the Octane fuel will recalibrate the DTE without driver intervention, so the comouters are definitely taking it into account if they can sense the difference.

Again I think the impact would be over-estimated by the system and real-world would likely be closer among the various octane levels.

Also beware of cheaper winter fuel additives from cheap stations, all winter gas greatly impact fuel economy despite having the same octane rating, I don’t trust the cheap station to not take shortcuts. I tend to go with my top fuel choices in the winter, and don’t care as much in the summer.
So, the lower grade is good as long as you choose a reputable station?

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Only have 80 miles on the clock but this is what I saw on a Rubicon 4dr. No idea what gas the dealer put in the tank.

1) In town ~15 MPG
2) On the freeway ~62 MPH, without cruise control ~17 MPG
3) On the freeway 62 MPH, with cruise control ~21 MPG

I come from a Miata (and other cars with low drag coefficient) which is very easy to keep at a constant speed. I found it very hard to do the same in the JL. Not sure if I just need to get used to that floaty-truck feel or if being a big box makes it harder. Either way, I bet I just need some practice.
Sponsored