First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX35, Smart Car, 23 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired
Looking at ordering, what is the feeling of All time 4WD? is it a good thing or not why?
Sponsored

ALK

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler
Sure it's a good thing, especially if you live somewhere where the pavement tends to be slick, like snow or rain that's where this system is really useful.
It's not a AWD system like Subaru but it's still worth the $700, I ordered mine with it.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

To be clear, it's not "full time 4WD". It's automatic 4WD.

The drivetrain will be in 2WD unless/until it detects slippage, then it will automatically engage 4WD.

It's not the same thing as AWD.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
You good with CV joints/boots?

Jeep Wrangler JL Full time 4 wheel drive. 1652897033558
Whats the issue with CV’s and boots? Is there a common issue with them failing or is it yet another case of “something else that COULD go wrong” but is not a widespread issue?

Sponsored

DenaliDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Moab
You have the normal wear and tear of the CV boot just like on most cars and trucks these days. Eventually, the boot is likely to tear and need replaced. Also, some claim that a CV joint is not as robust to off-road use as the U-joint of a full-time 4WD system. So, that can come down to how much and to what extreme you intend to use it off-road. Not to say that a CV joint won't hold up to some serious off-roading. Mine has done quite a bit so far. But, it seems the general consensus is that a u-joint is more suitable to lots of hard-core rock crawling, etc.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Whats the issue with CV’s and boots? Is there a common issue with them failing or is it yet another case of “something else that COULD go wrong” but is not a widespread issue?
Nah, no serious concerns. The CV boots are subject to being torn on trail debris, so if you frequently go off-road, that’s a consideration. Otherwise, people who have the system seem to like it. I just think it’s important for buyers to understand that there are mechanical differences at the axles.

Partswiz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door
So the select-trac 4WDAuto transfer case option will have CV joints at front and not u-joints 🤔
Did not know that, Thanks for the info.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I haven’t had any issue with mine and it has come in very handy dealing with PA winters. Set and forget.

As a side note I do not use it when going off-road. For those situations I commit to 4Hi and 4Lo.

As a parting comment it’s a great tool if drive your Jeep on the street in areas that get slick and sloppy weather. Especially if your Florida born and raised wife borrows your Jeep in those conditions.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
Ad far as strength - the 392 front axles have the CV joints.

Sponsored

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
Other vehicles I've had with CV joints, the joints were fine but the boots gave me issues. I had them come apart in cold weather due to the rubber not being flexible enough, granted this was in AK with temps -40 to -50. I've also torn boots with debris getting hung up around the CV joint area. To replace a boot correctly the axle has to be removed. I avoid CV joints.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
You have the normal wear and tear of the CV boot just like on most cars and trucks these days. Eventually, the boot is likely to tear and need replaced. Also, some claim that a CV joint is not as robust to off-road use as the U-joint of a full-time 4WD system. So, that can come down to how much and to what extreme you intend to use it off-road. Not to say that a CV joint won't hold up to some serious off-roading. Mine has done quite a bit so far. But, it seems the general consensus is that a u-joint is more suitable to lots of hard-core rock crawling, etc.
A lot of people pay $$$ for RCV axles.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
To be clear, it's not "full time 4WD". It's automatic 4WD.

The drivetrain will be in 2WD unless/until it detects slippage, then it will automatically engage 4WD.

It's not the same thing as AWD.
Not exactly

it’s much closer to awd.

the primary difference between traditional 4wd and awd is the center differential. 4wd locks the front and rear driveshaft together. Awd uses a differential of some sort so that the front and rear can rotate at different speeds, which is why 4wd systems bind if you try to turn on drive payment.

with auto 4wd, you are not just engaging and disengaging a traditional 4wd system. There is what is effectively a clutch based center differential being used that send a variable amount of power to the front axle. The awd bmw m5 uses a similar system.

I find it to be better than most “awd” systems, even on subaru’s.

Some trying to refute this claim “but awd uses computers and brakes to send power to certain wheels”
That is not what makes a vehicle “awd” by definition. An “awd” vehicle could have opens diffs front, center, and rear.

There are modern pickups that have extremely similar systems, they just stopped calling it auto4wd when it’s engaged because it’s misleading. It really is “awd” and that’s what they display on the dash when you engage it.

it’s a great system IMO, it tends to be more useful if you have a lot of power and frequent wet roads. It is incredibly useful if you live in a climate where you are frequently transitioning from slippery surfaces to dry surfaces.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
You have the normal wear and tear of the CV boot just like on most cars and trucks these days.
Well to be fair, it wouldn’t be normal wear and tear because you wouldn’t be sending power to the front tires nearly as much as most vehicles that have cv joints.

most vehicles with cv joints are fwd or front bias awd systems and most of the power they are using is getting sent through those cv joints every single day.

the wrangler and rwd bias awd cars will have much less daily stress on them (well except off roading)

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
A lot of people pay $$$ for RCV axles.
RCVs are built to be durable and the boot isn't nearly as fragile or exposed as the OEM one.

Have fun going through thick brush with the OEM CV looking the way it does. I'll take a U joint any day that isn't going to tear and seize up when I drive through rough or brush covered terrain. The joint itself I'm sure is plenty strong but the boot isn't, and nor is the joint without grease.
Sponsored