alukban

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport & 2003 TJ Rubicon
6E101EAE-C2E1-40D4-A642-7D1CC08A7F41.jpeg

For my Sport model with manual door locks, I had a key made and then cut out the NFC chip (near field communications) and imbedded + glued it into the new key body (and wrapped it in orange duct tape).

I now only have to carry a regular key around like I am used to from my old jeep.
Sponsored

rockyg05

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wragler
this is to the earlier thread? I FINALLY got my fob open.

what kind of tool (exactly) do I use to open the 4 torx screws?

rockyg05

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wragler
I found the tool when I went back & looked (it was a t6 torx), but NOT after I went out an bought a t8 torx and it didn't work

MikeLewisMusic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon 2 Door, 2.0l Turbo/Automatic
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Daaaah .... I think you are missing the point of having a fob holster.

Regardless of fob size, the fob in a holster can be attached to a belt loop or clipped to the belt.

No more fob in the pocket.

For guys/gals that have proximity, you attach the fob to your belt and geeeez, you pretty much forget it is there.

I have/use a belt clip holster.

I did not buy and start using the holster cause the fob was too big but rather, just for the reason I mentioned.

I want to hang it and forget it. Don't want a fob, in my pocket, period.

I agree with the above, even though I don't have proximity entry. The key fob holster with the belt clip is one of the best accessories I have purchased for this Jeep...even without the proximity option on my Jeep. This key fob has tremendous range (about twice that of my GMC pickup, even when it has brand new batteries in it)...and doors unlock with a simple tap to my hip. The holster gets the fob out of my pocket and makes it perfectly accessible--in fact, I wouldn't want it any smaller for wearing in the holster on the belt (probably the only place on the forum that is stated!).

I had proximity entry on previous vehicles, and it was okay...but I find the holstered fob to be a better fit for my personal use....and certainly less expensive than the proximity entry option.

YMMV

Sponsored

rockyg05

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wragler
I bought a torx set on ebay, but it hasn't come yet :(

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
For those buying the AJT Design, fob offering......with the fob they ship, they provide a T-6 Torx driver to remove the board from the stock fob and an Allen wrench to use when fastening their fob case together with the hardware they provide.

rockyg05

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wragler
my torx kit showed up (finally) and I have a key under my hood now...after I have locked my key (and fob) in my car a few times

rockyg05

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wragler
is there an online place I can get a duplicate key (NOT fob) for my 2018 jeep? I am thinking of snail mailing in my duplicate key and getting the NEW duplicate snail mailed to me?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
When I get my Jeep I may machine the button down to flush. If I can. Or just machine a new smaller button.
I thought this was genius when I first read it a few weeks ago and finally had time to try today....it won't easily work 'cause the button isn't solid (I was hoping to just face it down).

Also the amount of engineering put into this fob is impressive but also makes me feel Jeep has no excuses for any design shortcomings in the JL if they had this much time to over-engineer a fob. The button would not be easily replicated as it has three "wings" of varying size and placement.

I'm not saying it's not possible, and if one had a machining center they could crank out shorter versions and sell 'em....but I'm fully manual and it would be WAY more time than I had allotted for this little (well, it was supposed to be little) project today.

I elected to just reassemble with the spring inop and that's fine by me....I've only had my JL a few months but never once used the actual key so I don't think convenient access to it is a priority for me

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Oh also is it really a T6? This was what I determined on my own solely because a T7 wouldn't fit but a T6 is VERY sloppy....did Mopar try to use a propietary or oddball fastener here?

I think I had one head start to round upon reassembly -- I didn't try too hard to figure out if it was fully rounded 'cause it was good enough so I left well enough alone

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
Extreme metal drummer/ large cat wrangler / gun modder
Anyone know a good source for springs? I don’t mind the spring loaded key, I just want to need about 3x the pressure on the button to release it. I’d rather just replace that one spring.
Sponsored