Fleximounts ceiling lift

travis_cooper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude
I had to tighten them during install after one corner failed empty.

It’s been hanging the hard top for 8 months now.
That’s good to hear. I’m hoping that’s all it is, just tightening those should be enough. It’s nice to know that yours is holding well.

Sponsored

druggist55

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
By U-bolt do you mean:

Jeep Wrangler JL Fleximounts ceiling lift 1650993326451
Yes, that's the U-bolt Travis is talking about. The ones that came from Fleximount were low quality and a couple stripped the threads in the cast piece when I tried to tighten them. I simply went to the local hardware and bought the same size, but better quality as I didn't want to take any chances. Only cost me a few bucks, the peace of mind was worth it. Otherwise, I have been very pleased with this system. I use my cordless drill to raise and lower and appreciate the degree of control over the process this method gives me.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Hey guys. Thanks for the great thread and details. I’ve just ordered a JLUR and am already researching hoists.

A few questions on the Flexi.

1. Can you mount it in any orientation? What I mean is that you can orient the thing on the ceiling in any way, just as long as the mounting corner brackets are 48” apart.

2. How easy is the hand crank?

3. Any worries about it falling or dropping on the Jeep underneath?

4. Is it possible to install the Flexi before my Jeep arrives? I mean I know it is, but I see my self pulling the new Jeep in for the first time and saying “awww $h!t” because I attached it to the wrong part of the ceiling, too far away from the Jeep’s position. :facepalm:

5. (Question on the Topsy: How do the brackets attach to the hardtop in the back by the glass? Do you have to drill anything ?)

Thanks guys!

travis_cooper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude
Hey guys. Thanks for the great thread and details. I’ve just ordered a JLUR and am already researching hoists.

A few questions on the Flexi.

1. Can you mount it in any orientation? What I mean is that you can orient the thing on the ceiling in any way, just as long as the mounting corner brackets are 48” apart.

2. How easy is the hand crank?

3. Any worries about it falling or dropping on the Jeep underneath?

4. Is it possible to install the Flexi before my Jeep arrives? I mean I know it is, but I see my self pulling the new Jeep in for the first time and saying “awww $h!t” because I attached it to the wrong part of the ceiling, too far away from the Jeep’s position. :facepalm:

5. (Question on the Topsy: How do the brackets attach to the hardtop in the back by the glass? Do you have to drill anything ?)

Thanks guys!
1. Yes, you can install it regardless of which direction your joists are running.

2. I haven’t tried it by hand, I just attach it to my cordless drill. It is very easy and smooth when doing it that way.

3. I worry about this a bit. But there are a lot of people using it that seem to feel good about it. I hung on it, and I’m sure I weigh more than the hard top. There is a little more concern now that they’ve sent out emails to people saying to stop using it. You can see the details on that in the posts above. I’m pretty sure it is just because the ubolts aren’t completely tightened. Mine is just hanging with nothing on it yet.

4. Yeah, this is what I did. I’m still waiting on my Jeep. I just took the measurements from https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-hardtop-measurements.5705/post-120785. I used masking tape and put up the outline on my ceiling and then used that to find a good spot.

5. Again, I don’t have my Jeep yet, but it looks like you just loosen the screws in the back window hinges, slide in the bracket, then tighten it back up.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Marking out my ceiling now and finding my joists.

Here’s another question as to orientation: I’ve noticed the Flexi is 48” x 56” with the 56” side along the gearbox and drive pole. Given the choice, should this long side been positioned front-to-back where to top will be, or set on the width side of the top?

Sponsored

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Also, does anyone know where to get the Flexi 4x4 from? Seems to be out of stock everywhere :angry:

travis_cooper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude
Also, does anyone know where to get the Flexi 4x4 from? Seems to be out of stock everywhere :angry:
I’m guessing because they just told everybody to stop using it until they can come up with a solution. You can see the details in the posts above.

travis_cooper

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara Altitude
Marking out my ceiling now and finding my joists.

Here’s another question as to orientation: I’ve noticed the Flexi is 48” x 56” with the 56” side along the gearbox and drive pole. Given the choice, should this long side been positioned front-to-back where to top will be, or set on the width side of the top?
The main bracket goes parallel with your joist, that is the part that is a little longer than 48”. Then from that you’ll have two bars extending from each end perpendicular to the main bracket. Those would attach to a separate joist 48” away.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
I’m guessing because they just told everybody to stop using it until they can come up with a solution. You can see the details in the posts above.
I saw that. So there may be a problem with the Ubolts and how the cable ends are secured? I’m glad they’re looking into it, but I still wish I could buy one!

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
The main bracket goes parallel with your joist, that is the part that is a little longer than 48”. Then from that you’ll have two bars extending from each end perpendicular to the main bracket. Those would attach to a separate joist 48” away.
Thanks. Yeah, that seems to dictate my setup based on the joists and their direction.
Sponsored