First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
I am in same situation, I don't want to start a war again, but if the recovery point of all these aftermarket bumpers are at the D rings, I am sure frame bumper mount plate even if appears thin, is capable to sustain stress from flat towing with no issue, and if you add the LOD brackets it will be much better.
Winch this sucker stuck in mud belly down and I can guarantee it's much more than a 5000lbs straight pull.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
It seems like any bumper that's designed for flat towing should utilize the same attachment points as these base plates. The attachment points are there (maybe LOD brackets achieve this?).

If a stout bumper utilizes the same attachment points (or more) vs a base plate then what would cause someone to consider it inferior?

[EDIT] Added below
OK I did some homework. LOD frame tie in seems to add 1 bolt to utilize the factory nut already in the frame.

I also looked at the blue ox tow based plate. They utilize three holes in the frame. The existing one with the nut that LOD uses, one that needs to be drilled plus another already existing hole.

Removing that base plate looks to be a HUGE pain. The worst part is how they use just a little wire to get the inner frame nuts in. that wire is going to rot away and getting to those inner frame nuts to remove the base plate will not be fun. They could have invested in some nuts with tabs on them so the baseplate can be removed and the nuts fetched with a magnet.

The LOD tie-in looks like an improvement to me. At least they're making an effort to tie into the frame. I'd feel better if it tied in at two places vs one. My TJ bumper ties in at at least three and for some reason I'm thinking it's 5 (2 on top, one on bottom and two on the side.).

Shame on jeep, they know flat towing is popular and they don't seem to make any effort to make it easy for the after-market to provide a robust solution.

They also mount their recovery hooks to the 4 frame end holes. If they don't feel those end pieces are suitable for flat towing then what are they thinking mounting those recovery hooks there. If I'm jamed up in some rocks and someone is tugging me out then I'm going to put way more stress on that area than flay towing would.... Those hooks are cantilevered up a little too - so I get a nice little leverage effect.

[EDIT #2]
Ha the solution is right here in the forum. This is what the bumper tie in should look like:

Maximus-3 JL Tow Loops

[ EDIT #3]
LOD DOES use two bolts, the factory one and a provided one. They just don't show a picture of the factory one in their instructions. Kudos, LOD, for getting it right.

Last edited:

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I know I'm jumping in on an old post that has *some* controversy, but...

If you are a newer Jeep owner (like me) looking to flat tow from a bumper (like me), and you did a search on this forum for flat towing and came across this older thread and were a bit freaked out (umm...like me), then keep reading. If that's not you, then please just keep on browsing. No need to re-start the arguments.

If that is you, I have an update for those with newer JL's. My '21 Rubicon came with the plastic bumpers, and after doing a good deal of research, I decided on an aluminum RockHard mid-width. I was fully prepared to order the LOD brackets, but after talking to the great folks at Rockhard, they said I didn't need them since Jeep has already added the additional bracing. Took my old bumper apart, and they were right. See the attached pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Tow winch bumper options bracket

Jim_n_Tx

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Commando, JT , JL, M422
I've flat towed a CJ5, a TJ, a JT, and now a JL 2-door, all with aftermarket bumpers using the bumper mounted tow points without a failure of the tow points. You pay your quarter and take your chances. I will rely on experience- my Jeep, my method. Not recommending anything, just saying.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’ve got the Rockhard Patriot aluminum. Added the LOD plates “just ‘cause”. Have the Blue Ox mount points from Rockhard. System seems very solid. Very satisfied With the result.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I know I'm jumping in on an old post that has *some* controversy, but...

If you are a newer Jeep owner (like me) looking to flat tow from a bumper (like me), and you did a search on this forum for flat towing and came across this older thread and were a bit freaked out (umm...like me), then keep reading. If that's not you, then please just keep on browsing. No need to re-start the arguments.

If that is you, I have an update for those with newer JL's. My '21 Rubicon came with the plastic bumpers, and after doing a good deal of research, I decided on an aluminum RockHard mid-width. I was fully prepared to order the LOD brackets, but after talking to the great folks at Rockhard, they said I didn't need them since Jeep has already added the additional bracing. Took my old bumper apart, and they were right. See the attached pic.
Jeep Wrangler JL Flat Tow winch bumper options bracket
Where is the additional bracing that bracket has been there from day one and Mopar still says you cannot tow from the bumpers mounting points.

18RUBICONJLU

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
My question is if a LOD bumper fails what will LOD pay for or take care of. If a weld breaks and damages your RV will they pay for it. If your jeep breaks loose and hit another vehicle is LOD responsible.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
My question is if a LOD bumper fails what will LOD pay for or take care of. If a weld breaks and damages your RV will they pay for it. If your jeep breaks loose and hit another vehicle is LOD responsible.
Nope not at all.. guessing 😁 Not sure the even the base plate manufacturers would open themselves up for that nightmare. I have poison spider bumper and a little over 5k miles using blue ox tow bar. I have had zero issues and dont see any problems coming up.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

It is more likely the connection to the Jeeps frame mount will fail before the bumper itself. Which is Why Mopar says to not tow from any Bumper as the connection is only sheet metal. However if you use the frame Tie in bracket you are likely OK.

Get the Maximus 3 Tow Loop, best available and attaches exclusively to the frame.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
In terms of options here are some others:

Currie tow bar:
Different design for steel vs plastic bumper. Seems like it will take more abuse off-road vs tow bar ones.

GenRight:
You have to agree to some disclaimer, not sure if that's just them.

NextVenture:

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
The Currie Plastic Bumper Tow Adapter attaches to the 8 frame horn bolts plus two additional points on the frame. Not sure if there are winch plate options for the plastic bumper or what the options are.

The Currie Steel Bumper mounts to the bottom of the bumper plus 2 additional frame bolts - One per side. Also there are winch plate limitations. I think Rusty's winch plate. Note that Currie attaches to the OEM bumper and then Rusty's replaces the two inner OEM frame tie ins with a beefier one. If you were to the add the LOD outer frame tie-ins you would have a pretty good setup with the OEM steel bumper.

Both Currie adapters look like they'll take some off-road abuse. I think Currie + OEM + Rusty's + LOD would be pretty stout. It **appears** as if you could also add a 2nd frame bolt for the Currie too. There's a hole there, not sure why it's not part of the install.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
NextVenture has an aluminum bumper skin that mounts to a steel base plate. Note that the bumper also gets a skid that bolts to the bumper that also attaches to the frame (I think) which strengthens things up. There are no fog lights with this bumper....

The Steel Bumper Docs are here - but I think it uses the same underlying winch mount. This mount utilizes the 8 frame horn bolts plus 2 (one per side ) frame bolts. I think you could also use the LOD outer frame tie-in. If you also use the lower skid you get 3 more frame tie in points on each side. I think that these will also add strength to the frame horns because they are bolted to bumper. I'm guessing the aluminum lower skid bolts up the same way but have not verified this.

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
The Genright aluminum (not the super high clearance one) removes the inner frame tie ins and, in my opinion, does not effectively replace them. You can't tell from the photo on their web site but the "box" for the winch plate attaches to the side of the frame, using the hole for the OEM tie in, but the box does NOT tie into the front plate.

The bumper does effectively tie into frame with one bolt on each side for the lower bash guard mount.

I really didn't like the notion of removing the inner frame tie-ins and not replacing them with something better.
Sponsored