Sponsored

fixed wobble and fixed wandering, finally!!

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Had the wobble issue when going over expansion joints or any bumps, also had drivability issue with the jeep wandering and poor handling. Brought my car to 4x4 located in lake hopactong and spoke to the owner Andrew. He checked over my vehicle and found my tires out of balance and my alignment way off!! I also had him install the teraflex 2.1 non adjustable steering stabilizer and rusty's track bar support. Jeep rides amazing with zero issues. It tracks straight and feels like a better than new vehicle
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Had the wobble issue when going over expansion joints or any bumps, also had drivability issue with the jeep wandering and poor handling. Brought my car to 4x4 located in lake hopactong and spoke to the owner Andrew. He checked over my vehicle and found my tires out of balance and my alignment way off!! I also had him install the teraflex 2.1 non adjustable steering stabilizer and rusty's track bar support. Jeep rides amazing with zero issues. It tracks straight and feels like a better than new vehicle
Glad you found the culprit. I always say to check your tires first when experiencing the wobbles/drifts/shimmies. You'd be surprised just how much different a Jeep drives when even one tire is off in balance or pressure.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seems to not be so bad, so I'm waiting on the new stabilizer my dealer ordered. I've narrowed mine down to a little wheel shake at 51mph when hitting a bump while accelerating in a mild sweeping turn (on ramp). Otherwise, I'm not really feeling it. I ordered a Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer for 140 bucks, since the dealer said the stabilizer is backordered through April, but I may cancel it and just let them put the new one on. My tires and alignment are all good. I am starting to wonder if I'd thought it was a problem if I hadn't read about it first on the forum. The thing drives and steers perfectly 99.9% of the time.

One more thing... it only happens when the temperature is below 45 degrees. Above that, it doesn't do it on the same bump (I hit that bump every day on the way to work. That's how I've narrowed down the conditions under which it happens.)

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Awful lot of money to throw at something the dealership should be making good on no?
Doubt it. His time and peace of mind are valuable, and you all know a dealership service department would have frustrated him before fixing the issue (if they ever found it).

OP
OP
m3reno

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Awful lot of money to throw at something the dealership should be making good on no?

And let this whole issue drag on for months on end, not only that but the risk involved leaving it as is.

Reactions: JC7

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I know Andrew. He’s a great guy. In response to you guys freaking out about me suggesting place the problem on to the dealer... i would have exhausted that dealership option prior to spending im guessing 700 on parts and install. And lets not even get into the fact that those parts are easily swapable in your driveway. You guys tend to harber a lot of confirmation bias. And want to justifuy throwing money at aftermarket when jeep should be making good on all these design flaws. I made a suggestion to save you money. My bad. I have the same problem with mine. With the shuddering over expansion joints. Best believe soon ill drop mine off at dealer and go for a ride with tech to recreate the exact problem and get a rental. Ill pick it up when its fixed.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Almost every JL seems to be delivered with incorrect tire pressures. The alignments can be off if they do not perform the alignments with proper tire pressure. I wondered about tires and alignment from the factory. Do the suppliers actually load balance the tires and wheels? You would think the first things to check would be tires if all the steering components seem ok.

When are alignments are done at the factory? Does the factory even do alignments or are the Wranglers assumed to be aligned correctly after assembly? Are alignments done when the tires are at the correct tire pressure then overinflated for transport? Or are tires overinflated from suppliers and installed on JLs and then aligned without checking tire pressures? At the very least the alignments should be checked before transport and delivery as part of QC, is that done with correct tire pressure? Or are there any inspections at all prior to delivery?

Or is a combination of things overlooked? Bad ball joint specs, bad steering stabilizers, bad steering boxes, poor alignment?

Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Almost every JL seems to be delivered with incorrect tire pressures. The alignments can be off if they do not perform the alignments with proper tire pressure. I wondered about tires and alignment from the factory. Do the suppliers actually load balance the tires and wheels? You would think the first things to check would be tires if all the steering components seem ok.

When are alignments are done at the factory? Does the factory even do alignments or are the Wranglers assumed to be aligned correctly after assembly? Are alignments done when the tires are at the correct tire pressure then overinflated for transport? Or are tires overinflated from suppliers and installed on JLs and then aligned without checking tire pressures? At the very least the alignments should be checked before transport and delivery as part of QC, is that done with correct tire pressure? Or are there any inspections at all prior to delivery?

Or is a combination of things overlooked? Bad ball joint specs, bad steering stabilizers, bad steering boxes, poor alignment?
Ok- now lets dig into the who “Alignment “ myth of the jeep wrangler.

There is nothing to align on a wrngler. It is a solid front and rear Axle. The alignment of the vehicle is at the mercy of the bracketry in stock form. If you get adjustable lowers and uppers you can adjust caster. Other than that theres “toe in” track bars are fixed length.

So in stock form:
No Camber adjustment
No Thrust vector adjustment
No caster adjustment.

Alignment is set at the factory yes. But if stacking tollerances of the braketry is off more on one jeep than another its going to be annoying.

Ive built a couple JK’s . One would wander with 35’s the other drove pin straight.... both were in alignment.

DirtRoad1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JLU SPORT
Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Vehicle Showcase
I had a little shimming and wondering but not bad the steering right in cold wether until warmed up. Took my Jeep to IWC motorsports in Berdo the specialize in Jeep, Lifts etc...they went through my entire suspension fixing my camber, caster, tow, thrust angle all these come into play ecspecially when lifting and not adding adjustable control arms. The guys over there got it as close as they could since I don’t have adjustable comtrol arms and it rides solid and straight. No issues no tightness in cold weather no shimming I also run the dual RC Steering stabilizers. My next purchase will be the JKS CONTROL ARM KIT. Which then I’ll prbably just do the entire 3.5” kit with control arms and then run the 38” tires I want and regear.

My advice make sure after ur lift ur taking it to OFFROAD 4x4 shop that knows what they doing. Not pep boys, or jimmyjoes alignment shop. and then stay up on it. You should be getting alignments every 6 months or 6,000 mi. That’s depending on how u drive and trail. I don’t mind spending the cash

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

They do this stuff at the factory, but there can be variables that have affect it. For example, a Jeep might sit in a storage lot or staging area for weeks, which would allow tire pressure to change. They are also jostled all over the place when moved on and off of trains and transporters. It shouldn't be enough to bother the alignment, but it makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Mine arrived in January with perfect air pressure and allignment, so that didn't happen by accident or luck. The pressure was 37 cold in each tire, before the dealer prepped it. It was literally right off the truck. It was also built before the assembly line went full speed, so I'm sure most things were double checked by engineering teams as it went through assembly, testing, and QC.