First Oil Change (Jeep Wave)

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Where or how did you check oil life through computer? Can you tell I have not played with the computer stuff much? lol.
Use the arrows on your steering wheel and cycle thru the screens. I want to say on the screen with your oil pressure? Perhaps the 3rd screen?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I’m not mechanically inclined, but it seems doable. Do you think I could do this on the road or parking lot? I don’t have a garage, I live in a coop apartment
Thanks so very much!
A 3/8" ratchet, those sockets I listed, that drain pan, funnel and you're good to go. You can use the 5 qt jug for your old drain oil, and if you have an Autozone, Pep Boys, etc nearby they accept drain oil, might also get a small plastic tarp for any splashes, although this JL is set up for the easiest oil changes so that's optional :)
Best to do it on a paved lot if possible (just easier to crawl under your Jeep vs. a gravel road), but as long as it's level that's the main thing.
And pay attention to how much force you need to loosen the drain plug and filter cap, it really isn't very tight so just a bit over snug is all you really need there.

jfourty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Remember to save all your receipts (I scan them and put in one folder on my PC as these receipts tend to have ink that disappears over time) :([/QUOTE said:
There is no reason to save your receipts if it is for warranty and such. If you are saving for your own purpose, then it is a good idea to track when you changed the oil (though you are only tracking purchase, not change).

It is not up to the customer to prove that regular maintenance was done. It is up to the retailer (dealership) to prove it was NOT done. This is expensive and hard to prove.

TLDR; no need to save receipts as porof of regular maintenance

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Will dealerships still rotate the tires when you are running 37's on the Jeep Wave program? I haven't figured out how to rotate them myself since they are so heavy at 108lbs each.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
This just reinforces my view on leased vehicles. There are loads of folks that feel the vehicle is only a tool not a family member. As for myself I would never purchase a used vehicle that had a lease history. I understand why the OP doesn't care how the dealer maintains the vehicle, he is right its their tool. Remember buyer beware..
I agree. For a lot of folks, a leased vehicle is like a rental vehicle. Just drive the hell out it and who cares what issues come up (still under warranty during the lease) as long as it is AFTER the warranty period and after it is turned back in, right?

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Those seeking guidance for doing this themselves in the above thread:

Please keep documentation and receipts. If your rig requires work, FCA will note you haven't changed the oil with them and may not perform covered service gratis if you can't prove that you've changed the oil, etc.

As far people who don't give a hoot about maintenance on leased vehicles I would think that the lessor would insist that you bring the rig in for service, but even if they don't, it just rubs me the wrong way, karma and all, when people don't service their vehicles.

Ever get stuck in 3 hours of traffic because someone knowing brought their "wreck" on to the highway and got stuck?

Wouldn't you want a post lease vehicle that was maintained?.

Vehicles and all their moving parts are expensive works of art.

I know...I'm sounding like Brad Garrett's classic Seinfeld mechanic character. : - )

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Those seeking guidance for doing this themselves in the above thread:

Please keep documentation and receipts. If your rig requires work, FCA will note you haven't changed the oil with them and may not perform covered service gratis if you can't prove that you've changed the oil, etc.

As far people who don't give a hoot about maintenance on leased vehicles I would think that the lessor would insist that you bring the rig in for service, but even if they don't, it just rubs me the wrong way, karma and all, when people don't service their vehicles.

Ever get stuck in 3 hours of traffic because someone knowing brought their "wreck" on to the highway and got stuck?

Wouldn't you want a post lease vehicle that was maintained?.

Vehicles and all their moving parts are expensive works of art.

I know...I'm sounding like Brad Garrett's classic Seinfeld mechanic character. : - )

Great video. A couple of suggestions. When draining the oil, remove the filler cap and dipstick. This will create better airflow and will allow for a quicker oil drain... like puncturing a second hole when draining a can.

One very DISTURBING notice... the oil was NEVER checked on the dipstick afterwards!!! Oil Change 101: after changing the oil, start the engine, look for any leaks, take the engine to or close to operating temperature, turn the engine off for 5-10 minutes, then... are you ready... CHECK THE OIL LEVEL!!!!!!

No wonder these idiots at the dealerships are overfilling the engines. I don’t care how much you drain out or how much you put in, ALWAYS check the level afterwards!
Sponsored