Sponsored

Finally took delivery. Scratches / gouges in paint. What do?

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
What??? Does this vehicle not have a "Jeep" badge on it in several places? If it does, that suggests you should get it out on the trail right now and make some bigger scratches, gouges, dents, whatever... that way you won't even notice those little ones. Much easier, more fun, less stress! :LOL:

Just kidding, but hey, this wouldn't be a proper Jeep forum unless you got at least one snarky reply, so here you go.
It's all good, I get it. This is why I asked if most of you would even bother with saying anything at all.
Sponsored

Need4Speed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Pilot
A good dealer/paint shop should be able to touch up the paint so that you will never see it. I am not in the paint and body business, but I can use the paint touch up pen you can get for $10 and touch up stone chips so you can't see them. When I do it, it takes a lot of patients. I first fill it (may take multiple applications), then I use the eraser tip of a pencil (used to hold a thin strip of sandpaper) and start with 1500 grit sandpaper, then 2000, then a course buffing compound, and work to a polishing compound. The experienced dealers can work magic on your paint. It should have been caught by the dealer and fixed before you ever saw the vehicle.

mlugo.apx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As title says, ordered May 25. Finally got it delivered October 16 :/

The top crossbar above the windshield is gouged / scratched in two spots and the hard top in 4 spots from factory. Also at the back there are two spots on the hardtop that someone has already taken a color match touch up pen to.

I am so sick of being at odds with my dealer, I half want to run away and say screw it, it's only some paint, but my other half is saying it is literally a brand new vehicle and it should be pristine.

Would you continue on and make them make it right or just deal with it having some scratches as surely these aren't the last of them it will ever have.

I'm on the fence...
Same happened to us, driver side plastic trim near roll bar was gouged and the passenger side roll bar had a deep scratch in the paint. Both seemed like they happened in the factory when they were installing the soft top.

Thankfully both were taken care of by Tri-City on the "We Owe" document they created to address the issues. The vehicle is now 100%.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Same happened to us, driver side plastic trim near roll bar was gouged and the passenger side roll bar had a deep scratch in the paint. Both seemed like they happened in the factory when they were installing the soft top.

Thankfully both were taken care of by Tri-City on the "We Owe" document they created to address the issues. The vehicle is now 100%.
Did they sand it down and repaint or replace it outright?

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

The top crossbar above the windshield is gouged / scratched in two spots and the hard top in 4 spots from factory. Also at the back there are two spots on the hardtop that someone has already taken a color match touch up pen to.

I am so sick of being at odds with my dealer, I half want to run away and say screw it, it's only some paint, but my other half is saying it is literally a brand new vehicle and it should be pristine.

Would you continue on and make them make it right or just deal with it having some scratches as surely these aren't the last of them it will ever have.

I'm on the fence...
I agree with your wife. I would reorder or walk away paint will never match or hold up like the factory .

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Thanks all for the suggestions and replies. Unfortunately I already drove away with the vehicle last Friday, however they said they would look in to fixing it.

I assume that having them paint the vehicle would be a huge pain as I would need to give them my Jeep for at least 3 or 4 days... not really wanting to do that.

They could swap the hard top which would work but that still leaves me with the crossbar on the windshield, unless they can swap that too?

Does whole hard top or windshield assembly swaps open the potential for any fitment or wind leak or rain leak issues?

Not sure on what the least painful path forward is.

And as for the buff right out picture, I know it was in jest, but at the delivery inspection I pointed out the damage and they tried to tell me it was all just sticker residue and they'd go fix it.

45 minutes later he finally comes back with his tail between his legs, I already knew they tried to buff the everloving shit out of it and failed.

Edit:

Regarding the two spots that were touched up with a paint pen, they told me the factory would have done so. Doesn't sound right to me that they would resort to that from factory, being brand new. Thoughts? Whoever did the touch up job, it stands out like a sore thumb.

Thank you for your time / help.
Complete BS! Factory will not to do a pen touch up .I told my salesman before I traveled 350 miles to pick up my Rubicon to go over it with a fine tooth comb if it was scratched or damaged at all I wouldn't take it . There was no damage but little did I know it was leaking antifreeze with 8 miles on it from the factory. If I would of known about the leak I'd left it there . The Dealer Dave Dennis Beaver Creek OH didn't give a shit they had my money . I got news for them I wouldn't by a fucking tricycle from them . I hope the POS GM J.B. sleeps good at night he wouldn't even answer calls from Jeep Cares

mlugo.apx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did they sand it down and repaint or replace it outright?
Yes, they did it as if it was their own vehicle, the correct way. Sand it down, paint it. We can't tell there was ever a deep scrape to the metal/primer.

They replaced the plastic trim piece.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Complete BS! Factory will not to do a pen touch up .I told my salesman before I traveled 350 miles to pick up my Rubicon to go over it with a fine tooth comb if it was scratched or damaged at all I wouldn't take it . There was no damage but little did I know it was leaking antifreeze with 8 miles on it from the factory. If I would of known about the leak I'd left it there . The Dealer Dave Dennis Beaver Creek OH didn't give a shit they had my money . I got news for them I wouldn't by a fucking tricycle from them . I hope the POS GM J.B. sleeps good at night he wouldn't even answer calls from Jeep Cares
Wow , sounds like you had a shitty experience. Sorry for your difficulties :/

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)

I'm on the fence...
I'd live with it, you are going to scratch it even more, so it's not a big deal. I'd go to them and make a big fuss, though. Then negotiate some free touch up paint and a running discount for stuff like a mopar lift or bumpers, led headlight group if you don't already have any of those.
Sponsored