Sponsored

Finally took delivery. Scratches / gouges in paint. What do?

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
As title says, ordered May 25. Finally got it delivered October 16 :/

The top crossbar above the windshield is gouged / scratched in two spots and the hard top in 4 spots from factory. Also at the back there are two spots on the hardtop that someone has already taken a color match touch up pen to.

I am so sick of being at odds with my dealer, I half want to run away and say screw it, it's only some paint, but my other half is saying it is literally a brand new vehicle and it should be pristine.

Would you continue on and make them make it right or just deal with it having some scratches as surely these aren't the last of them it will ever have.

I'm on the fence...
Sponsored

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
document everything on the acceptance sheet. make 'em fix everything.

Jeep Wrangler JL Finally took delivery. Scratches / gouges in paint. What do? 1603211515313

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
This is VERY common at dealers. My wife used to work at an Infinity dealer. They have their dent guy, paint guy etc. Your dealer is an idiot for even letting you know. They should have fixed it so no way you can see it and then let you have a look at your car. Now your pissed because you know. Have them fix it with your final OK before it goes in your name. Or don't take it.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Order another one. Regardless of what they do to fix it. It will have to be painted, and nothing is better than factory paint.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I personally would give them an opportunity to make it right in a reasonable amount of time (it's a Wrangler, not a Ferrari and will not depreciate because of some touch up work done) and if they don't go along, don't accept the vehicle. But it's up to you. Every manufacturer/dealer has these issues, including Porsche, BMW, etc. Unfortunately, dealers seem to be less than stellar at dealing with them, and that is true irrespective of brand.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Thanks all for the suggestions and replies. Unfortunately I already drove away with the vehicle last Friday, however they said they would look in to fixing it.

I assume that having them paint the vehicle would be a huge pain as I would need to give them my Jeep for at least 3 or 4 days... not really wanting to do that.

They could swap the hard top which would work but that still leaves me with the crossbar on the windshield, unless they can swap that too?

Does whole hard top or windshield assembly swaps open the potential for any fitment or wind leak or rain leak issues?

Not sure on what the least painful path forward is.

And as for the buff right out picture, I know it was in jest, but at the delivery inspection I pointed out the damage and they tried to tell me it was all just sticker residue and they'd go fix it.

45 minutes later he finally comes back with his tail between his legs, I already knew they tried to buff the everloving shit out of it and failed.

Edit:

Regarding the two spots that were touched up with a paint pen, they told me the factory would have done so. Doesn't sound right to me that they would resort to that from factory, being brand new. Thoughts? Whoever did the touch up job, it stands out like a sore thumb.

Thank you for your time / help.

Last edited:

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Get an estimate from a reputable paint shop ; find some accessories you want that equal that price, see if the dealer will go for those accessories...

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
As title says, ordered May 25. Finally got it delivered October 16 :/

The top crossbar above the windshield is gouged / scratched in two spots and the hard top in 4 spots from factory. Also at the back there are two spots on the hardtop that someone has already taken a color match touch up pen to.

I am so sick of being at odds with my dealer, I half want to run away and say screw it, it's only some paint, but my other half is saying it is literally a brand new vehicle and it should be pristine.

Would you continue on and make them make it right or just deal with it having some scratches as surely these aren't the last of them it will ever have.

I'm on the fence...
Looks like it could have happened with the car carrier dude! There is a lot of damage that the carriers cause that the dealer may never see until the new owner or interested party points out. Yes, the dealer should thoroughly examine every square inch of all new accepted vehicles. However, with limited employees and all of the rest of the Covid excuses it's up to the buyer to check every sticking molecule of what they are going to drop over $50K for. Remember: Buyer beware!

C

Sponsored

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Mine came in with a noticeable paint chip on the rear fender. The dealer not only repainted it, but they also peeled the clear bra protection off of both back fenders and replaced it larger clear bra for more complete coverage from rock chips. My sales guy said he asked the shop to do it because he knew I was adding aftermarket tires and wheels. I didn't ask them to do it, they just did. No way you can tell it has been fixed other than the clear bra that is twice as large. Not that it cost a lot, but it was a cool thing to do.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
i bought mine off the lot and it had scuff marks on the front bumper and a stain on the front fender where bird poop had baked through the summer. dealer replaced both the bumper and fender without question. the only hassle was having to drive the 2 hours each way to get it done.

i would think the dealers have insurance or other recourse against FCA for these type of things so it's probably no skin off their back - just like warranty work.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
This is VERY common at dealers. My wife used to work at an Infinity dealer. They have their dent guy, paint guy etc. Your dealer is an idiot for even letting you know. They should have fixed it so no way you can see it and then let you have a look at your car. Now your pissed because you know. Have them fix it with your final OK before it goes in your name. Or don't take it.
They didn't let me know, I had to show it to them, and during so they downplayed it.

OP
OP
RDiddy

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
Mine came in with a noticeable paint chip on the rear fender. The dealer not only repainted it, but they also peeled the clear bra protection off of both back fenders and replaced it larger clear bra for more complete coverage from rock chips. My sales guy said he asked the shop to do it because he knew I was adding aftermarket tires and wheels. I didn't ask them to do it, they just did. No way you can tell it has been fixed other than the clear bra that is twice as large. Not that it cost a lot, but it was a cool thing to do.
Your dealer sounds like a class act. Mine, not so much. I am glad it worked out for you though.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Regarding the two spots that were touched up with a paint pen, they told me the factory would have done so.
Hearing that, I would have countered by asking what, if anything, the factory's post-assembly Quality check is intended to accomplish. I say this because you characterize the touch-up work on the hardtop as a low-quality bodge.

In your position, I'd press the dealer for an agreed-upon cash payment directly to me, period.

I'd either pocket the money, or use it to obtain paint & repair services for which I already know the cost (as I'd have used the estimates to form the basis for my cash payment demand.)

The thinking here is that I'd want to separate myself from a dealer whose actions have made it plain that they are uninterested in and a bit evasive on a simple and straightforward customer service matter. If they're that uncaring now, how will they act if or when you seek resolution for a complex mechanical issue?
Sponsored