Sponsored

Finally test drive a 392

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Definitely not. Maybe the selfish soccer moms u see on the Maury povich show are jumping at them. The majority of parents look for safety first.
Admit it, you hate Wranglers.
And, if you actually own one, you must really hate yourself.
Have you read what you are posting?? Are you bored, and just trying to get a rise out of people around here?? With everything you've been spewing, you are sounding more and more like a "Troll".

Sponsored

OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Pull up your knickers son! Its's constructive criticism. No one or thing gets ahead in life by being nice and complacent . Ive owned 5 jeeps including the one I just bought. Stellantis and jeep dealers represents a large portion of these blogs. Dont take it personal just trying to push the envelope.

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
We are coming from a 2 door to this. It’s completely a different ride . Just be aware that’s all. Plus turbos are the future and preferred for most. Mpg is the same
I've owned 4 turbocharged gas vehicles, and several turbocharged diesels. The diesels do their job very well, once they are spooled up on the highway pulling a load, they have a ton of power. I currently own a Ram 3500 that is used to tow our 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, and it works great. However, I did not particularly like any of the gas-powered turbo vehicles we owned. And two of them were Jeeps, a 2019 JLR with a 2.0T E-torque, and a 2021 JLUR with a 2.0T. Both had too much turbo lag, which drives me nuts. And both were aggravating to drive offroad. When going slow up a very steep road the engine had zero torque and zero power, until it built some boost, then it would take off and upshift two gears. So, you would let off the gas, and then it had no power again, and had to downshift two gears. And it would repeat this over and over again. I would usually drive with the auto transmission in manual mode to prevent this. But what a pain in the butt. Give me a bigger displacement engine with low end torque any day.

So, for your statement of "turbos are the future and preferred by most." It depends on how the vehicle is being used. Heavy towing, you bet. Daily driver, or four wheeling, no way. I am resisting the trend for small displacement turbo engines with every fiber of my being. ;)

OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I've owned 4 turbocharged gas vehicles, and several turbocharged diesels. The diesels do their job very well, once they are spooled up on the highway pulling a load, they have a ton of power. I currently own a Ram 3500 that is used to tow our 40' fifth wheel toy hauler, and it works great. However, I did not particularly like any of the gas-powered turbo vehicles we owned. And two of them were Jeeps, a 2019 JLR with a 2.0T E-torque, and a 2021 JLUR with a 2.0T. Both had too much turbo lag, which drives me nuts. And both were aggravating to drive offroad. When going slow up a very steep road the engine had zero torque and zero power, until it built some boost, then it would take off and upshift two gears. So, you would let off the gas, and then it had no power again, and had to downshift two gears. And it would repeat this over and over again. I would usually drive with the auto transmission in manual mode to prevent this. But what a pain in the butt. Give me a bigger displacement engine with low end torque any day.

So, for your statement of "turbos are the future and preferred by most." It depends on how the vehicle is being used. Heavy towing, you bet. Daily driver, or four wheeling, no way. I am resisting the trend for small displacement turbo engines with every fiber of my being. ;)
The 392 is a very nice wrangler of course. Driving up to Alta and snowbird w/ a naturally aspirated engine is the pits. Btw, I rebuilt my jlur on jeep.com for 2023 . So with tax is over 65k and if you finance its close to 70k. So yes its important for people to criticize especially when you get into the 90k range for a wrangler

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Part of me thought about going 392XR, but, at the end of the day, I would just rather spend my $80k-$90k on something else. Sounds like the OP feels the same way. His money, his choice. Not everyone needs to love the most expensive Wrangler in the lineup, and for their $80-$90k, they better. Glad to hear some dealers are actually allowing test drives of them. Part of me is also glad the 2 door doesn't have the option, so I don't have to think about it too much.

Sponsored

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
The 392 is a very nice wrangler of course. Driving up to Alta and snowbird w/ a naturally aspirated engine is the pits. Btw, I rebuilt my jlur on jeep.com for 2023 . So with tax is over 65k and if you finance its close to 70k. So yes its important for people to criticize especially when you get into the 90k range for a wrangler
By the way, when I said, "driving up a steep road", I was talking about a rough dirt road, about four times as steep as the grade up Little Cottonwood Canyon.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I respect your opinion, but disagree with the feeling of driving it. I have my second (and final) 392 and it really is take your breath away, throw you back, fast.

I will concede it does not downshift agressively enough above 10-15mph, and you lose alot of that "wow" you would have gotten from a dead stop.

Also, regarding the 0-60, I have found the weather (temp, humidity) plays a big role in how the engine is performing that day. 55F its a screaming rocket, the fastest vehicle I have ever owned (much faster than our Mustang GT), but 80F and high humidity, not as much.

Just adding my 2 cents. Any Jeep is a good Jeep in my book.
I agree with you on the downshifting, with my GC in Sport or Track mode a throttle tap will downshift and hold the gear well, repeat at will. Off Road + similarly increases throttle response and raises shift points but not more performance adjusted downshifting (or disable the cam eating 4 cyl mode) unfortunately.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
If anything, I see soccer moms trampling each other to get their hands on a Jeep Wrangler.
Coincidental timing of that comment. A family member, tired of the baggage that accompanies daily driving her Chevrolet Suburban, is asking me for guidance, re: purchasing a new 2023 JLU. The configurator is driving both of us nuts, so I try to steer the conversation toward the practical aspects of Wrangler ownership...the good and not so good. She's likely going to proceed with a factory order at some point soon.

The bigger safety issue is the lack of rear airbags and even that wasn't enough to stop the jl and jt sales juggernaut
When the rear seat passenger(s) complain about the modest airflow from the console vents, or the absence of 2nd row airbags, I'll sometimes remind them that they're riding in Coach, and that comfort and safety is reserved for First Class. :LOL:

OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Am I the only one that hates the uconnect? You cant even use carplay music properly. It doesnt allow you to see all your music. Is it at all possible the engine could have been stuck in 4 cylinder mode?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Am I the only one that hates the uconnect? You cant even use carplay music properly. It doesnt allow you to see all your music. Is it at all possible the engine could have been stuck in 4 cylinder mode?
Apparently you hate anything that isn’t from Ford.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve found unconnect one of the better infotainment systems I’ve used in the past few years. At least compared to Lexus, BMW, and Honda.

JRudi392

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Unlimited RHD, Jeep Rubicon 392 Gobi
What is 4cyl mode? Didn’t know that existed.
From the Stellantis media guide: Fuel Saver Technology with cylinder deactivation seamlessly shifts to smooth, high-fuel-economy four-cylinder mode when engine loads are light, such as cruising on the highway. A tank-mounted high-performance pump keeps the V-8 fueled under even the most demanding conditions.

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
From the Stellantis media guide: Fuel Saver Technology with cylinder deactivation seamlessly shifts to smooth, high-fuel-economy four-cylinder mode when engine loads are light, such as cruising on the highway. A tank-mounted high-performance pump keeps the V-8 fueled under even the most demanding conditions.
copy, thanks for the info
Sponsored