Finally test drive a 392

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I wouldn't be surprised if current fuel prices are making some owners get rid of their 392. That, and the usual Wrangler compromises.

People who spend $80,000 on a new vehicle are rarely in it for the long haul anyway.
I may not qualify as a typical $80k buyer, but I bought it to have a V8 (GC SRT also) hopefully for the rest of my life unless the government forces me out of them, then pass it down to my son along with Dad’s 3A that has already been passed down.😊
Sponsored

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Good point Dalton, the mileage scares some people. With many years of driving different vehicles under my belt, I will bet that the 392 could match the 3.6er for mileage if driven in like conditions. Without fail, every true 4x4 I've owned with an 8 has equaled the mileage of the 4, 5, or 6 bangers. Keep your foot out of the back two barrels :LOL:. BUT, if you want or need that torque, it's there in an instant. Well...perhaps my old K5 with the 454 is the exception.

C38E295D-5A9A-4BF8-AB1B-38C4109A8603.jpeg

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So a slightly used beautiful 392 @ a great price. I figure why not. Took my new JLUR 2.0 over to the dealer got an almost sticker trade in and took the 392 out for a spin. Not for me. First, took out my stop watch. Didnt meet the under 5 seconds from a stop just by pressing on the gas. 2nd,the theatrics we see online about getting thrown back into your seat is complete BS. Not the thrill they claim. 3rd, its VERY HEAVY with a deep brake and lots of play in steering. Would I buy it? Yes but not nearly what they are asking. The hemi even feels old compard to the 2.0. I leave with saying that the 2.0 technology is awesome (much more so than the 3.6) and Im really looking for to the inline 6 twin turbo
Brilliant click bait, Congratulations!:clap::clap::clap:

3TV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 392
He wasn't impressed with the speed of the 392? But he would buy a Bronco Raptor. I don't think he has seen the video that TFL did drag racing a 392 against a Bronco Raptor. The Raptor got its ass kicked.

And he didn't like the weight of the 392 he drove, but doesn't seem to know that the Bronco Raptor weighs hundreds of pounds more than the 392 does.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BEACHED WHALE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
So, let me get this straight. You would choose the Bronco/Raptor over the Jeep 392, even if you hadn't driven them. If you couldn't figure it out, I'm now rolling my eyes at your comments, and logic.
Just out of curiosity, is MPG also a big factor in your off-road decisions? YES, IT WAS THAT BAD
Jeep Wrangler JL Finally test drive a 392 1656557852089

Jeep Wrangler JL Finally test drive a 392 1656557852089

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Probably was a rebadged v6

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I've had a 3.6 Gladiator, a 4xe Rubicon, and now my 392

3.6 is a workhorse. Got decent mileage, never exciting but never really left me wanting. Perfectly good engine and no surprise FCA uses it in everything

the 4xe was also great. In hybrid mode it SCOOTED, passing power was basically as good as the 392 and electric power meant no lag. Best driving on the 3 because of the batteries sitting down low. Once the battery was <1% and it was 2.0T only, whew was it slow. 2.0 felt like it was struggling with the weight. I have a 60ish mile commute so half the time I was out of battery if I didn't charge at work so it wasn't great. For most people, I think the 4xe is a great option, especially with gas prices continuing to rise.

The 392 at first didn't impress me. Felt heavy, yes the exhaust is hilarious and the power constantly there, but I felt like it could be faster. Then I found offroad plus mode. Basically like sport mode. Very happy with it in this mode, engine is very responsive and all the go I want all the time.
Yep- some people drive a vehicle without knowing it’s controls, settings, capabilities, then complain about it because They Don’t Know How To Drive It. IE— if I took a test drive in a Hellcat that was in the 500HP setting and didn’t know about it I would be profoundly disappointed and unimpressed from my expectations! And yes- l’m still grinning from the first time I tried Off-road +

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yep- some people drive a vehicle without knowing it’s controls, settings, capabilities, then complain about it because They Don’t Know How To Drive It. IE— if I took a test drive in a Hellcat that was in the 500HP setting and didn’t know about it I would be profoundly disappointed and unimpressed from my expectations! And yes- l’m still grinning from the first time I tried Off-road +
That was me when I test drove a JL 4Xe.

Granted, the thing has three modes, and the salesman didn’t know what to do, either. It was the blind leading the blind...

I absolutely hated it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Good point Dalton, the mileage scares some people. With many years of driving different vehicles under my belt, I will bet that the 392 could match the 3.6er for mileage if driven in like conditions. Without fail, every true 4x4 I've owned with an 8 has equaled the mileage of the 4, 5, or 6 bangers. Keep your foot out of the back two barrels :LOL:. BUT, if you want or need that torque, it's there in an instant. Well...perhaps my old K5 with the 454 is the exception.
That’s not far from the truth. No quite the same MPG, but close perhaps.

My V6 Sahara with a Mopar lift and 35s and 4.88 gears gets 13-15 MPG, no matter how easy I am on the gas. It will get 17.5 on the freeway if I don’t exceed 65 MPH.

From what I’ve seen on here, that’s about what XR owners are getting, which makes sense.

392s appear to be in the low teens; in the 10-13 MPG. And I’ll bet they are driving their Jeeps much more spiritedly than I am, albeit using premium.

That’s not a whole lot of difference when it boils down to it.

Sponsored

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
It’s obviously objective. Way too much hype on it though. Way overpriced. I think that’s why there are so many used ones for sale. I don’t think the really rich guys on this forum buy them to sell them for a few xtra thousand.. it’s was thrown together to compete with ford as they focus on the new wrangler 6 cylinder probably 24/25
*SUBJECTIVE

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I was willing to give the OP the benefit of the doubt. But he totally lost me with all this Ford crap.

Bronco is under-engineered, bloated and overhyped. It is a pickup truck with a wannabe retro body, built to impress the easy-to-impress Ford fans.

Raptor only takes all those traits and puts them on steroids.

Last edited:

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The beltline on that vehicle is too high. It creates the clumsy aesthetic of a chopped roof, which really looks out of place on a boxy SUV. It's magnified with the soft top removed.

There's also something about how the Bronco looks with the doors removed that suggests they weren't intended to do so. 🤔 (Yes, I know they are removable.)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The beltline on that vehicle is too high. It creates the clumsy aesthetic of a chopped roof, which really looks out of place on a boxy SUV. It's magnified with the soft top removed.

There's also something about how the Bronco looks with the doors removed that suggests they weren't intended to do so. 🤔
You mean, it looks too much like this 😫
Jeep Wrangler JL Finally test drive a 392 1656598331467
Sponsored