Finally ordering a Wrangler suggestion

BCalvin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
For that $8,000 difference you could add a prorock 44 front without the FAD housing and a mopar
D44 crate rear; which i think would be better than a Rubicon.

I'm in the minority, just another opinion. I faced this exact same decision.
Advertisement

OP
OP

Luiscasta25

First Name
Luis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
For that $8,000 difference, you could add a prorock 44 front without the FAD housing and a mopar

That's what I was contemplating, how do you like your Willys? any regrets anything you are missing you wish you had from a Rubicon? I saw your avatar photo.

BCalvin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was contemplating, how do you like your Willys? any regrets anything you are missing you wish you had from a Rubicon? I saw your avatar photo.
No regrets, i would do it exactly the same way.
If there was anything I wanted from a Rubicon I would just bolt it on other than the branding.

The hit is in resale and dealer warranty work. I'm fine with that though.

The big factor for me was I wanted air lockers and no FAD housing, so it made no sense to go Rubicon.

OP
OP

Luiscasta25

First Name
Luis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for the reply.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I test drove the 2.0 and it was a perky engine, I want to drive them for the whole weekend, I will go to National to see if they have any 2.0 and V6 to rent them for the weekend.
Good idea. I drove both but wound up with the 2.0. Really like the “feel” of it and the mpg. My son has a JTwith the 3.6 auto and loves it. As per the Rubicon vs Willys Ask yourself, honestly, what you are really going to be using it for. A stock JL with limited slip dif is pretty darn capable, a Willys perhaps a bit more so. The Rubicon is an incredible machine ,with capabilities way beyond what most folks really do. If you really need/want that capability the Rubicon would be a far better investment than a modded Willys ( and probably be cheaper in the long run). With that said, if you are seriously going rock bashing, do you REALLY want to do it in a new $55k vehicle? A nice used several year old Rubicon (ex mall cruiser) might be a better investment. I’ve got a neighbor lady who buys a new Unlimited Rubicon every few years. She trades at about 60 k miles and the toughest thing ANY of them has ever encountered is a gravel driveway. She just “likes the way they look). Something like that, used, could be a super deal for somebody...

GerJL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
While I love the look of the Willys and the whole concept of honoring Jeep history, there's one thing about the Willys I couldn't live with day in and day out. The non-power windows. The reason, the window crank is situated in the narrow Jeep cockpit where it hits directly on a pressure point in my knee. I may be the only person on the planet this happens to, but when I test drove a 2019 with manual window cranks I knew right away I couldn't live with them. Might want to check that out before making your decision.

Best,
-Tim
That is only on the Willys Sport, not the Willys. The Willys has power windows/door locks. Also, you can remove that window crank and rotate it 180 degrees if the handle part is causing you issues.

GerJL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
For that $8,000 difference you could add a prorock 44 front without the FAD housing and a mopar

That is what I would probably do myself. The Willys (both of them) already have a Dana 44
(narrow) rear with LSD. Although I believe the spline count is less, I would just keep it and add stronger axle shafts and a locker along with a Prorock in the front.

BCalvin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is what I would probably do myself. The Willys (both of them) already have a Dana 44
(narrow) rear with LSD. Although I believe the spline count is less, I would just keep it and add stronger axle shafts and a locker along with a Prorock in the front.
I thought hard about that and really want that extra 3/4" without a shim or spacer.
Dynatrac does offer the standard width prorock but the extra width just looks cool.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S (2-Door)
That is only on the Willys Sport, not the Willys. The Willys has power windows/door locks. Also, you can remove that window crank and rotate it 180 degrees if the handle part is causing you issues.
I guess our local dealer has only had Willys Sports in stock as every one I looked at had the window cranks. Unfortunately the crank is what hits my knee, regardless of where the knob is on the winding stroke. Guess I just have the wrong proportions for window crank JL's. ;)

Best,
-Tim

OP
OP

Luiscasta25

First Name
Luis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess our local dealer has only had Willys Sports in stock as every one I looked at had the window cranks. Unfortunately the crank is what hits my knee, regardless of where the knob is on the winding stroke. Guess I just have the wrong proportions for window crank JL's. ;)

Best,
-Tim
they figure that a lot of people are fine with the more affordable, to be honest, manual windows seem ridiculous in this day and age, for a 30K+ vehicle.

BigGreen

First Name
Al
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
The 2.0t is a blast for acceleration runs into a freeway. But from my experience, it can be a dog in day to day driving. It’s rarely in the right gear.
People report the 3.6 is smoother overall, it’s just boring when you really want to go.
I haven’t had any complaints/power issues off-road with the 2.0t
I have manual windows, but auto windows/locks would have been better.

OP
OP

Luiscasta25

First Name
Luis
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'm going to wait for the 4XE; with federal tax credits and Colorado Tax credit that could be the cheapest wrangler.

BCalvin

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they figure that a lot of people are fine with the more affordable, to be honest, manual windows seem ridiculous in this day and age, for a 30K+ vehicle.
Porsche and Ferrari charge an extra $100,000 for manual windows, cloth seats and a pull strap for a door latch. The sport is a freaking RS cup jeep from the right prospective.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think I'm going to wait for the 4XE; with federal tax credits and Colorado Tax credit that could be the cheapest wrangler.
FCA/Jeep has long-standing, “Terrific“ track record with new vehicles too.

Advertisement

Hothead Headliners

Advertisement