Finally Buying New Wrangler

ally68

First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I recently sold my 06 modded F150 i have had for 10 years. And I am currently driving a fiesta (don't ask).
I have always wanted a jeep and I think I am finally going to pull the trigger as I need something shorter than full size
truck. I love to mod and buy stuff :). Just need help deciding what to get. 2 or 4 door like the look of the 2 door don't need
extra space but would be nice just the same. 2.0 vs 3.6 like the idea of the turbo but not sure it would save me any money
and it is a new engine and they typically come with issues. It will be mostly for commuting and modding light trails for fishing and hunting. Anyway looking forward to joining the community and any thoughts would be helpful.
Sponsored

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
I recently sold my 06 modded F150 i have had for 10 years. And I am currently driving a fiesta (don't ask).
I have always wanted a jeep and I think I am finally going to pull the trigger as I need something shorter than full size
truck. I love to mod and buy stuff :). Just need help deciding what to get. 2 or 4 door like the look of the 2 door don't need
extra space but would be nice just the same. 2.0 vs 3.6 like the idea of the turbo but not sure it would save me any money
and it is a new engine and they typically come with issues. It will be mostly for commuting and modding light trails for fishing and hunting. Anyway looking forward to joining the community and any thoughts would be helpful.
First of all, CONGRATS!

If you don't need the extra room, might as well save the approx $3k and get a 2-door. It is slightly more capable offroad (barely) based on the shorter wheelbase, and obviously quite a bit cheaper. The only major drawback to the 2-dr is it's lower tow rating (2,000 lbs vs 3,500 for the 4-dr). So think about whether you plan to tow anything with your Jeep. If not, the 2-dr may be a good option.

Regarding the engines, the V6 is $1k cheaper and is definitely the more time-tested. FCA has put the Pentstar engine on approx 6 million vehicles over the past 5-6 years (including Ram trucks, Chrysler cars, other Jeep models), so it's safe to say the kinks have been worked out.

The 4 cyl is $1k more, but will get slightly better gas mileage. Some Jeep owners don't like the idea of driving a 4-cyl, but honestly it puts out comparable HP and torque, so not a huge difference. Honestly you'd be happy with either engine. Just a choice of whether you want to spend less now and pay a bit more at the pump, or spend $1k more but use a bit less gas. And both pair very nicely with the 8-speed automatic if you plan to get an automatic transmission.

Whichever you wind up choosing, they are amazing vehicles and so much fun! Welcome to the community!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Honesty I would stay clear of the 2.0 Turbo BSG until it’s been proven to be reliable. The 48v battery is a $1,500 part alone if it needs replacing after warranty. Don’t know if it’s covered by 3 year or 5 year warranty and/or prorated like most batteries. Just my 2 cents. Remember this is a FCA product. Not exactly known for Honda/Toyota reliability.

If you’re a trailblazer, early adopter, risk taking individual, then by all means get the turbo and pay for 91 octane gas. Correction. It will run on 87 but 91 is recommended for optimal performance.

Last edited:

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Also not sure whether you've picked out a model yet. The Jeep comes in 4 trim lines:
1. Sport: very bare bones. Roll down windows, no AC, you have to power the car with you feet like Fred Flintstone (ok, that part is an exaggeration). This model is most popular with people who won't use it as a daily driver but plan to modify the heck out of it and only drive it on the trails on Saturday.
2. Sport S: like the Sport, but adds some creature comforts (like power windows and AC). This is for Wrangler buyers on a budget who want the cool factor of a Jeep but don't want to spend extra cash. It's still extremely capable and fun, just not as flashy as others.
3. Sahara (only in 4-dr): this is more of the model aimed at people who want more creature comforts.
4. Rubicon: this is the hardcore offroading beast. Now any Wrangler is incredibly capable offroad compared to pretty much anything else on the market, but this is the most extreme in that regards.
Sponsored