Favorite Diff skids?

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I chose Rancho front and rear, but maybe for different reasons. Yes, they may not have the same clearance as others, but they are more open and easier to clean. 5 months of salt and snow means the flat skids will do not trap as much debris, and when it does, it has been much easier to clean. Same in the summer with mud. Not sure where you live or if that matters to you though...
Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I chose Rancho front and rear, but maybe for different reasons. Yes, they may not have the same clearance as others, but they are more open and easier to clean. 5 months of salt and snow means the flat skids will do not trap as much debris, and when it does, it has been much easier to clean. Same in the summer with mud. Not sure where you live or if that matters to you though...
Good point! Down in Tucson, not really sure what this "mud"' is you speak of! :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
Thank you to everyone for sharing the comments.

The Next Venture skids were mentioned, and for disclosure, as a consumer with no other interest than outfitting my personal Jeep, the Next venture front and Rear diff skids are the items I have been inclined to prefer.

However, the Rancho is the first and only diff skid I have had the chance to "touch and feel" in person, and it seems more than adequate, plus the Rancho reps were really nice guys.

Meanwhile, I intend to acquire a Metal Cloak lift over the winter season, and have been impressed with their suspension products, so it seems like I should consider their insights about diff skid design, and has been suggested they take a very different approach to mounting.

I was wondering if anyone has any specific knowledge about the diff housing bolt mount designs becoming a problem.

The Metal Cloak rear cover design, with U-Bolts mounted to the axle tubes do not seem, to me, to eliminate potential problems with the housing cover bolts, while introducing potential problems with the axle tubes, but what do I know? The Metal Cloak design may be superior in real life use.

I don't really think I need diff skids for the trail transportation driving we do, but if I do go out and buy some skids I want to get the best. Having said that, I have not thought of a need to get new diff covers, and think I would rather use a stock cover and a really good skid than new cover and a skid.

Are there any other substantially different diff skid designs that have not been mentioned yet?

Thank you!
I currently have ARB diff covers front and rear. I'm one of the previously mentioned members with interference between the front cover and my Steersmarts track bar. I'm hoping the new Metalcloak track bar does a better job at clearing it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Favorite Diff skids? 20200812_113348

I also have the Metalcloak rear diff skid, which works great with the rear cover, but I do prefer the Next Venture skid. It attaches to the axle in a more artful and clean way, but more importantly is it extends further forward to protect the driveshaft yolk. I may end up getting their full skid system, and also their diff covers if I have more interference issues.
Jeep Wrangler JL Favorite Diff skids? 20201116_093028

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
.02.......... I did Rancho in the front and Metalcloak in the rear. Both with factory covers. They have been well used and I have no complaints other than Rancho could have shaped it better. Not a fan of the flat bottom for looks only.

My reasoning? I wanted to protect the drain plug, but also access it easily. I had a little apprehension about the Metalcloak front in a reverse situation. I was worried it might get “peeled” forward if it caught on a rock backing up. Plus I’m not a fan of heavy diff covers because of heat retention (which skids do also). New Venture looks like good stuff too.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi @ToolMan514,
Thank you for contributing an insight about skid plates and the tendencies to collect and or retain debris.

I am always surprised how many pebbles I find trapped in the up/under portion of my bumpers, and can imagine a skid plate would be similar, but I had not thought of this before your mention of the idea.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
FWIW,
I went to check out the Rough Country skids, and the price looked great, but read further and realized they do not fit on OEM JLU Rubicon axles.
Good to know.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I like the Rancho units front and rear. OIl change doesn't require their removal. HD and the lip that extends out past the stock diff. cover has provided more than enough cover protection. Price point works and saves not having extra cost for separate diff, cover. I did not care for red color and scuffed them up with sand paper, sprayed semi-flat black. A year and a half later you can't tell they are after market and I like that look.
Jeep Wrangler JL Favorite Diff skids? rancho frt. skid

Jeep Wrangler JL Favorite Diff skids? JL rancho rear diff cover

Rear cover does get messy draining fluid but "Jimmy Crack Corn An I Don't Care" my JLR is always dirty.

Last edited:

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
Those with jlu sport front and rear what rancho diff skids are they?

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I got the Rancho options front/rear. They’re going to get worn so long as they provide a barrier between rock and diff cover. You do have to remove them to change the diff oils. You do have to bend the front u-bolt a wee bit that comes with the front diff. But I’d buy them both again.
I have the Rancho’s too and they allow the access needed to change the diff oil. Are yours an older design or something?

FWIW, I also have the Rancho shock skids, and a MORE oil pan / tran skid.

3A7AAF6D-3C9B-4BDF-A092-098FF4B03612.jpeg

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I have SteerSmarts track bars front and rear and I have no clearance issues with my Next Venture Motorsports differential covers and skid plates. I don’t have experience with the others but the Next Venture pieces are extremely beefy.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I have the Rancho’s too and they allow the access needed to change the diff oil. Are yours an older design or something?

FWIW, I also have the Rancho shock skids, and a MORE oil pan / tran skid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Favorite Diff skids? 3A7AAF6D-3C9B-4BDF-A092-098FF4B03612
I stand corrected. I must have removed them because I wanted more access and to clean out the Moab debris. Easy install though. ;)

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
I stand corrected. I must have removed them because I wanted more access and to clean out the Moab debris. Easy install though. ;)
Part number for these anyone?
Just don't want to spend $300and get wrong ones ya know.
Jlu sport here

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Part number for these anyone?
Just don't want to spend $300and get wrong ones ya know.
Jlu sport here
Sorry, Rubicon here so my part numbers wouldn’t help you. I could look them up on Rancho’s site, but would prefer to hear from someone that actually has the Sport versions to make sure you get the right thing.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Just an FYI for those considering Next Venture diff skids...They are having a 20% off Black Friday sale today only. I paid normal price for my Next Venture RDS and still think I got good value for my money!

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Just an FYI for those considering Next Venture diff skids...They are having a 20% off Black Friday sale today only. I paid normal price for my Next Venture RDS and still think I got good value for my money!
ok, so I just ordered front and rear diff skids. Thanks they look very beef compared to other versions.
Sponsored