Sponsored

Favorite Diff skids?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I have been looking at the variety of front and rear differential skids that are available for purchase and use with OEM Rubicon axles.

I am wondering what and why some particular skid products may seem to be preferred by other users.

It seems like there are various factors to consider.

- Strength of material
- Strength of mounting attachments, and how the mounts may or may not transfer stress the axle.
- Ease of attachement
- Ease of removal
- Cost / Value

Do you have an opinion? What do you think?

Thank you!
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Metalcloak front diff cover/skid and rear diff cover. The reasons why:
Cost
Metalcloak reputation
Strength
Ease of install (16 yr old son installed them himself)
Fitment

Metalcloak makes outstanding parts and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of their products. I like the simplicity of their diff covers and diff skids. The front skid attaches to the lower diff cover bolts, making it easy to remove if needed. You have to paint/powder coat yourself, but that allows for you to customize the color(s). I have no interference between my diff covers and aftermarket track bars. I have seen on this forum where other diff covers do contact the front track bar. The price is very reasonable, I believe $130 for the front cover and skid and $99 for the rear cover.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I went with the Metalcloak front diff cover/skid and rear diff cover. The reasons why:
Cost
Metalcloak reputation
Strength
Ease of install (16 yr old son installed them himself)
Fitment

Metalcloak makes outstanding parts and I wouldn't hesitate to use any of their products. I like the simplicity of their diff covers and diff skids. The front skid attaches to the lower diff cover bolts, making it easy to remove if needed. You have to paint/powder coat yourself, but that allows for you to customize the color(s). I have no interference between my diff covers and aftermarket track bars. I have seen on this forum where other diff covers do contact the front track bar. The price is very reasonable, I believe $130 for the front cover and skid and $99 for the rear cover.
SteerSmarts Yeti track bar does contact the MC front diff cover just a little bit. The skid mounts to the cover in 3 dedicated mounting holes machined into the cover for this purpose, but not with the bolts that attach the cover itself. I’ve only installed the MC front/rear covers and skids recently but I like them. Nothing to compare them to besides stock so I can’t say if it’s better or worse than anything else on the market.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for the information.

I did not realize that the Metal Cloak front diff guard requires the Metal Cloak cover with the dedicated and unique attachment points.

It seems like Metal Cloak wants to avoid using the differential cover bolts to mount the skids on either the front or rear axle. I wonder if there is a clear reason why they made that design decision or if this is just a desire to avoid a possible worst case scenario.

Thank you.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Maybe they feel that cover bolts shouldn’t do anything else but fasten the cover to the housing. The MC cover bolts are recessed socket head cap screws so that they don’t get damaged even if you do bash the cover without a skid plate.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have the MetalCloak (powder coated black) front diff cover w/skid and it offers decent protection while minimizing ground clearance loss and does so at a very reasonable price. Also have their FAD skid and happy with it. Another member mentioned the Steer Smarts Yeti drag link has slight contact with this diff cover but on my JLR I have plenty of clearance...Full Steer Smarts (drag link, Rubi-length tie rod and an all black Yeti track bar) with Fox's 2.0TS stabilizer. But I also have a Mopar 2 inch lift with fully adjustable Teraflex IR control arms which will of course affect position of the front axle and may be the reason I have no clearance issues with the Yeti/Metalcloak.

For the rear differential I am using Next Ventures rear diff cover with their skid and let's be crystal clear: This is the best designed, strongest (3/8" and 1/4" steel) rear diff cover on the market offering maximum protection from the pinion to past the diff cover with minimum loss of ground clearance...A bit on the pricey side but worth every penny! Next Venture should just call this cloak of armor 'The Rock Crusher".
Next Venture also offers a front diff cover w/skid but since it was not yet available when I did my install nor have I seen one, I mention it only for reference...

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I got the Rancho options front/rear. They’re going to get worn so long as they provide a barrier between rock and diff cover. You do have to bend the front u-bolt a wee bit that comes with the front diff. But I’d buy them both again.
Edited to remove the incorrect statement about needing to remove them to change the oil. I felt it was easier access to remove them since they’re easy to install.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
I have been looking at the variety of front and rear differential skids that are available for purchase and use with OEM Rubicon axles.

I am wondering what and why some particular skid products may seem to be preferred by other users.

It seems like there are various factors to consider.

- Strength of material
- Strength of mounting attachments, and how the mounts may or may not transfer stress the axle.
- Ease of attachement
- Ease of removal
- Cost / Value

Do you have an opinion? What do you think?

Thank you!
There are many great options, but only a few that actually protect the most vulnerable part of the front differential, which is the drain plug. I went with the Rancho slider. It not only completely protects that plug, but you don't have to remove it to drain and refill. It also provides plenty of protection for the diff cover, too. Unfortunately, I think you'd have to remove the rear version to drain, fill, so I went with the ARB, which is very nice and rock solid. I like the dipstick feature, too. You can check both the level and for water with that. Plus, it has two high powered magnets for metal shaving collection, both on the drain hole and dip stick.

Very happy with them. They are thick and very strong. The Rancho only gives up 1/4" of ground clearance underneath it. I've witnessed a Jeep in my Jeep club bash a rock with it, hard. It slid right over it with no damage to the slider. It is made of high strength steel. Solid. That's what made me buy it.

The ARB is made from nodular iron and is VERY heavy and strong. I think it could take a helluva hit. It also retains the OEM cover shape for good fluid flow as the ring/pinion turn. It also has recessed bolts and the bolts are allen wrench heads to enable removal even if they do take a hit. It is very well thought out.

Access to the drain hole on the Rancho is right inside that hole. Easy as can be.
Jeep Wrangler JL Favorite Diff skids? t2DLdy1

Jeep Wrangler JL Favorite Diff skids? OUZjMmf

It is all just my 2 cents. I've not bashed diffs before and don't plan to. I'm actually surprised I haven't, given the places all my Jeeps have been.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
Thank you to everyone for sharing the comments.

The Next Venture skids were mentioned, and for disclosure, as a consumer with no other interest than outfitting my personal Jeep, the Next venture front and Rear diff skids are the items I have been inclined to prefer.

However, the Rancho is the first and only diff skid I have had the chance to "touch and feel" in person, and it seems more than adequate, plus the Rancho reps were really nice guys.

Meanwhile, I intend to acquire a Metal Cloak lift over the winter season, and have been impressed with their suspension products, so it seems like I should consider their insights about diff skid design, and has been suggested they take a very different approach to mounting.

I was wondering if anyone has any specific knowledge about the diff housing bolt mount designs becoming a problem.

The Metal Cloak rear cover design, with U-Bolts mounted to the axle tubes do not seem, to me, to eliminate potential problems with the housing cover bolts, while introducing potential problems with the axle tubes, but what do I know? The Metal Cloak design may be superior in real life use.

I don't really think I need diff skids for the trail transportation driving we do, but if I do go out and buy some skids I want to get the best. Having said that, I have not thought of a need to get new diff covers, and think I would rather use a stock cover and a really good skid than new cover and a skid.

Are there any other substantially different diff skid designs that have not been mentioned yet?

Thank you!

Last edited:

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Going to also recommend the metalcloak skids. I can't tell you from personal experience that they've held up to abuse yet because I'm going to get them tested out this weekend for the first time but I love their quality. The product is very well made, strong steel, quality welds, good design, etc. so I have no issues with putting it on my JLUR.

I like the fact that the front diff cover bolts are not reused and it mounts to their proprietary cover, easy to remove if you need. (EDITED: Skid needs to be removed to access the drainplug, holes in the skid plate are small and will drain excess gear oil after filling). Its a well designed flat bottom as well so I expect it will work good for sliding over rocks and not getting hung up or taking big hits while also protecting the diff cover itself from direct hits.

The rear cover (the golden diaper) I was impressed with for its total coverage and that it doesn't need to be mounted to the diff at all. The angles should help my JLUR slide right over and not get hung up and providing good protection to the diff itself. I'm not that worried about the rear diff cover as I'd have to be moving backwards at pretty high speed to damage that cover, more worried about rocks scraping and potentially prying the cover away from casing. The rear skid should accomplish all of those things while being easy to mount.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi @DanW.
Thank you making pointing out that the Rancho front diff glide has the access hole for the drain plug. That seems to be a noteworthy feature.

Thank you.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @DanW.
Thank you making pointing out that the Rancho front diff glide has the access hole for the drain plug. That seems to be a noteworthy feature.

Thank you.
No problem! Btw, you win the forum today for your username! I got a great laugh out of that!

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi @JJSix,

"... you can drain the gear oil through well placed holes in the steel..."

I went to look for info, but didn't find any; Does the Metal Cloak front diff skid allow for easy access to the housing drain plug?

Thank you.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Hi @JJSix,

"... you can drain the gear oil through well placed holes in the steel..."

I went to look for info, but didn't find any; Does the Metal Cloak front diff skid allow for easy access to the housing drain plug?

Thank you.
So I phrased that poorly, you cannot get directly to the drain plug for the diff with the skid on. To do a full drain using the drain plug, you'd have to remove the 3 bolts that attach the skid to the diff cover. I was more referring to the small drain holes in the skid that would drain out the excess oil after filling the diff back up.

PXL_20201126_161026406.jpg