Failed Rocker Arm & Camshaft Replacement

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I was wondering why you bought OEM stuff to replace it. That wouldn't normally make sense. Checked Rock Auto and they don't even have Melling or any of those guys' parts listed.
Just wait until you find out who makes the oem stuff…
Sponsored

OP
OP
ctwombley

ctwombley

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport
These are for JK?......
10200A, 10202A, 10369A Camshaft Phaser Timing Chain Tools

I have a JL that Im starting to dig into
I know the passenger side tension release tool in that kit does not fit. Not sure about the drivers side. The cam gear wedges in that kit still worked for the passenger side, although I had to shave it down a bit.

OP
OP
ctwombley

ctwombley

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up.....Im starting into my 2020 3.6 JL. HOw do you know if the engine is a VVT or VVL? I bought the cheap cam phaser tools off amazon thinking they work for my engine. You recommend only one tool....is that because you did only one side? Thanks much!!
I only did passenger side. The wedge that goes between the cam gears from the cheap kit worked fine but I had to shave it down a bit to get it to fit. The tension release tool did not work. The tool I mentioned has an extra slot to fit over a bolt inside the timing cover that the Jk’s did not have. I’m not sure if the cheap tools work for the drivers side but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they do.

OP
OP
ctwombley

ctwombley

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up.....Im starting into my 2020 3.6 JL. HOw do you know if the engine is a VVT or VVL? I bought the cheap cam phaser tools off amazon thinking they work for my engine. You recommend only one tool....is that because you did only one side? Thanks much!!
I believe the Jk’s didn’t have VVL, the JL’s got equipped with the revamped 3.6L that has it. I think it also says it on the plastic shroud on top of the engine? Not sure though. I got that info from the 3.6L pentastar Wikipedia page so take it with a grain of salt

OP
OP
ctwombley

ctwombley

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2020 JL 3.6, starting my DIY repair now. Replacing all 24 rockers and whatever cams are damaged.

I have a lot of oil collected on top of the valve covers - any ideas why?

Also, what else (money not a problem fortunately) should I change while in there? PCV valve, VVL solenoids etc??? How about an oil catch?

Great wrtite up by the way....awsome!!!
On top of both valve covers? Only thing I could think of would be bad gaskets in some of the sensors. You have to take all the sensors out anyway to get the valve cover off so I’d just inspect and replace if necessary. If you buy a valance cover gasket kit usually they come with all the other gaskets anyway. The only other thing I could think of is maybe you doubled up the o-ring on the oil filter housing? That happened to me once but it didn’t spray onto the valve covers, just leaked some oil down on top of the intake manifold

Sponsored

OP
OP
ctwombley

ctwombley

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2020 JL 3.6, starting my DIY repair now. Replacing all 24 rockers and whatever cams are damaged.

I have a lot of oil collected on top of the valve covers - any ideas why?

Also, what else (money not a problem fortunately) should I change while in there? PCV valve, VVL solenoids etc??? How about an oil catch?

Great wrtite up by the way....awsome!!!
Also just give the pcv a shake when you take it out. If it rattles you’re good.

moto jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 3.6L
Thanks much for replying to all my questions!!!.... I'm diving in this wknd!!
Sponsored