Factory Transmission Skid Plate?

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I'm trying to figure out what this crossbar is under the automatic transmission. I'm looking at getting a skid plate for my oil pan and pretty much all of the skid plates out there have you remove this part. Is it Jeep's answer to a transmission skid plate, or is it something structural that's going to change how the Jeep handles?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
It is Jeep's answer to a skid plate and is less than useful which is why it is typically removed when you install aftermarket.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm trying to figure out what this crossbar is under the automatic transmission. I'm looking at getting a skid plate for my oil pan and pretty much all of the skid plates out there have you remove this part. Is it Jeep's answer to a transmission skid plate, or is it something structural that's going to change how the Jeep handles?
From what I've read, some of the early manual transmission JLs didn't have this crossmember.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for the responses. I thought I read somewhere about the MT's not having it. I was trying to find a picture of it but couldn't locate one for verification.

I *think* it may be OEM Mopar Part Number 68248652AC. When searched, it looks like it is a transmission skid plate. I feel better getting rid of it knowing that it's not actually part of something structurally or something that would help keep the rigidity of the Jeep.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There's a few skid plate systems that include a new stronger cross member to replace that front tube (as well as the rear tube behind the transfer case), Rockhard is one of them and I think Rustys and Metalcloak do as well (and Artec has a structural brace on their oil skid).

The problem w/ removing that bar and not replacing it when adding an oil/trans skid is the length of the new skidplate is pretty long without having that support going across. Rockhard did some field testing and found they needed to add that cross bar or the oil/trans plate could bend up into the motor/trans pan area.

I'm in the process of fab'ing my own skids and will have new cross members (out of 1x2 channel) in place of the front and back tube bars. At least the main structural brace (between the two cross pipes) is very stout and a great place for your main anchors for a skid system.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a few skid plate systems that include a new stronger cross member to replace that front tube (as well as the rear tube behind the transfer case), Rockhard is one of them and I think Rustys and Metalcloak do as well (and Artec has a structural brace on their oil skid).

The problem w/ removing that bar and not replacing it when adding an oil/trans skid is the length of the new skidplate is pretty long without having that support going across. Rockhard did some field testing and found they needed to add that cross bar or the oil/trans plate could bend up into the motor/trans pan area.

I'm in the process of fab'ing my own skids and will have new cross members (out of 1x2 channel) in place of the front and back tube bars. At least the main structural brace (between the two cross pipes) is very stout and a great place for your main anchors for a skid system.
I can see that happening, now that you mention it. I looked at Rusty's and it looks like they never replaced that cross member brace. Rockhard is nice, but I'm looking for something more modular so that I don't have to spend a ton of money all at once.

I really like the Asfir solution because it mounts to that existing transmission skid bar thing that everybody else removes. It's also aluminum, which is nice, and it's also one of the cheapest, including shipping. Quadratec has a nice solution as well, but unfortunately, it's not for those with the 3.6L and eTorque.

EDIT: Correction. I watched the Rusty's full belly youtube installation video and they DO have those cross-braces. I'm going to reach out to them because I don't know if the oil pan cover alone includes that cross-brace, and I don't know if they are compatible with the 2021 3.6L with the eTorque. If they are, it looks like I may be going that route.

Second Edit: I need more coffee.... :) The video I watched for those cross members were for the Rock Hard installation videos. I did reach out to Rusty to see if they have this cross member or not.

Last edited:

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I'm in the same boat with this. I have the M/T with this front crossmember / skid and want to keep it in tact. If for no other reason, it helps protect the exhaust loop which otherwise is totally exposed.

I found the same results that nearly no skid system keeps this bar.

My current idea is to buy the Rusty's system and then figure out how to modify the factory bar to work with it. I'm thinking that I will have to cut or trim the factory bar to clear the skid, then I'll weld the bar to the skid to stiffen the whole thing up.

Sure, I'll be compromising the clearance gains of the skid system, but I feel that this is the best of all worlds option.

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in the same boat with this. I have the M/T with this front crossmember / skid and want to keep it in tact. If for no other reason, it helps protect the exhaust loop which otherwise is totally exposed.

I found the same results that nearly no skid system keeps this bar.

My current idea is to buy the Rusty's system and then figure out how to modify the factory bar to work with it. I'm thinking that I will have to cut or trim the factory bar to clear the skid, then I'll weld the bar to the skid to stiffen the whole thing up.

Sure, I'll be compromising the clearance gains of the skid system, but I feel that this is the best of all worlds option.
Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one!!! It's also interesting to hear that you have the M/T and also have this bar.

The only solution that I found is the one made by Asfir 4x4. It pretty much meets all my requirements; reasonably priced including shipping from Israel, aluminum so it's lightweight, works with the 3.6L with e-Torque, and it retains the existing cross member. I'm a little cautious with it though because it ships all the way from Israel, and I wonder why I can't find anybody else utilizing this crossmember, even if the crossmember is flimsy and junk.

Come to think of it, maybe the reason why nobody uses it is because if you land on the skid, it would push up on that crossmember. That crossmember has a bracket parallel to the transmission pan that ties into the transfer case skid. I've seen where that bracket gets pushed up and dents the transmission pan. Just a guess, but maybe that's why nobody uses it.

I wished Rockhard would just sell the oil pan skid and that crossmember bracket. Then you can buy the other parts in the future.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one!!! It's also interesting to hear that you have the M/T and also have this bar.

The only solution that I found is the one made by Asfir 4x4. It pretty much meets all my requirements; reasonably priced including shipping from Israel, aluminum so it's lightweight, works with the 3.6L with e-Torque, and it retains the existing cross member. I'm a little cautious with it though because it ships all the way from Israel, and I wonder why I can't find anybody else utilizing this crossmember, even if the crossmember is flimsy and junk.

Come to think of it, maybe the reason why nobody uses it is because if you land on the skid, it would push up on that crossmember. That crossmember has a bracket parallel to the transmission pan that ties into the transfer case skid. I've seen where that bracket gets pushed up and dents the transmission pan. Just a guess, but maybe that's why nobody uses it.

I wished Rockhard would just sell the oil pan skid and that crossmember bracket. Then you can buy the other parts in the future.
Might check w/ @DadJokes he runs that ASFIR skid, AFAIK he's been happy with it, and FWIW a full aluminum skid for that price & shipped from Israel is like the bargain of the century!

I should have my fab'd skids back from getting them bent at a shop w/ a large steel brake and then welded up in the next couple weeks, then powdercoated once I verify everything bolts up as I'm hoping, lol.
I'll try to get as much details as possible when I get them installed. Should have a full 2dr skid including the exhaust loop, muffler midpipe resonator, full belly pan, oil/trans, and 1/3rd gas tank skid (just replacing the front gas skid for now). Included two new cross-members and removable oil change/rear main seal plate for simple oil changes and access to those rear main seal drip plugs. With no surprises it should come out to $200 for the steel, $150 for the fasteners, $200 for the steel brake bending, $200 for powdercoating, so $750 all-in.
Wish me luck :)

jchaisson

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
It looks like that's called a Guard Bar. I actually broke mine a couple of weeks ago and found a few replacements on ebay. It does seem like that was done in place of skips for this area. I'm looking at the Rusty's engine skid to cover that area.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0