Extended Warranty

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
So I was torn. A Wrangler is the kind of vehicle you keep for 10 years and pass on to your kids. Also, there are a ton of electronics on this new one. Lots of things that can break.
On the other hand, a Wrangler is the kind of vehicle that you customize. I hate dealing with warranties. Each customization is an opportunity for them to claim the issue was caused by the customization.

I wound up getting a 70k 6 year warranty for around $3k and it came with all the scheduled service up to 70k miles.
It was pitched to me as basically paying for my service up front and getting the warranty for free.
I just got my information packet from Mopar. Looking at all the services I don't see much other than oil changes and "checking" things. I think the 70k mile service actually changes some fluids besides oil. Either way, this doesn't seem to add up to $3k worth of service.

What do you guys think? Was I scammed?
Sponsored

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
So I was torn. A Wrangler is the kind of vehicle you keep for 10 years and pass on to your kids. Also, there are a ton of electronics on this new one. Lots of things that can break.
On the other hand, a Wrangler is the kind of vehicle that you customize. I hate dealing with warranties. Each customization is an opportunity for them to claim the issue was caused by the customization.

I wound up getting a 70k 6 year warranty for around $3k and it came with all the scheduled service up to 70k miles.
It was pitched to me as basically paying for my service up front and getting the warranty for free.
I just got my information packet from Mopar. Looking at all the services I don't see much other than oil changes and "checking" things. I think the 70k mile service actually changes some fluids besides oil. Either way, this doesn't seem to add up to $3k worth of service.

I think there are better options than that. Jeep offers a LIFTETIME contract for as long as the vehicle is registered to you. I'm sure the cost is less than the 3k you spent. It is like an extension of your 3/36 warranty, covers everything except maint, trim, normal wear and tear.

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's

3k for oil changes up to 70k? That's a bit extreme. I would recommend calling the finance rep and seen if you can cancel that. I would recommend maybe extending your power train warranty with your insurance company and or asking them about options to extend the power train.

The finance team have a quite a bit of a mark up on those warranty packages. You will always pay double if not triple what their cost is for that stuff.

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't get the extended warranty. I learned after buying several cars it wasn't worth it, that was added to my belief after I started working for a local Ford dealership and learned how those extended warranties and sales pitches worked. Basically after seeing how much those extended warranties cost the dealership, I told my dealer no extended. Just the JLU, and that's what I got, however I did get the GAP protection, for cost. That one I'll never pass up on

Sponsored

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I didn't get the extended warranty. I learned after buying several cars it wasn't worth it, that was added to my belief after I started working for a local Ford dealership and learned how those extended warranties and sales pitches worked. Basically after seeing how much those extended warranties cost the dealership, I told my dealer no extended. Just the JLU, and that's what I got, however I did get the GAP protection, for cost. That one I'll never pass up on
No disrespect, but it makes sense for you to not get it since you mentioned that you have bought “several cars” which means you’re not going to keep your Jeep that long either. Some are going to keep theirs until the wheels fallout including me so I don’t consider it a waste.

What is waste is, buying it without doing proper research and getting into pressure at the dealership. I declined all add ons at the dealership and later bought my extended warranty at a different dealer where it was reasonable.

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Do you wait until your warranty is about to expire before getting extended warranty or get it right away at time of purchase?

BTW, I already had my backup camera stoo working. They took the tire off and it started working again, put the tire back on a and it continued to work.

cjsam2004

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I think you have to get almost all of these warranties before your factory bumper to bumper warranty expires.

The only advantage of getting it at the time of purchase might be the cost factor, which could slightly go up if you get it at the end of the factory bumper warranty.

CashMonkey

First Name
Rolo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grey 2009 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 5SPDMT Black 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5SL Sedan 6SPDAT
Vehicle Showcase
No disrespect, but it makes sense for you to not get it since you mentioned that you have bought “several cars” which means you’re not going to keep your Jeep that long either. Some are going to keep theirs until the wheels fallout including me so I don’t consider it a waste.

What is waste is, buying it without doing proper research and getting into pressure at the dealership. I declined all add ons at the dealership and later bought my extended warranty at a different dealer where it was reasonable.
Nice at least you got a good deal on it. I actually plan on keeping my Jeep for as long as it drives. The several cars I owned 2 got T boned one drunk person, one cell phone dude. The other I did a customization on nearing the end of the warranty period. Basically I realized I was spending money on something I never used, thats why I thought it was a waste. That and seeing what its like on the otherside of the desk, changes your perspective on things. I knew if I got the extended warranty I have voided it anyways. But like I said I did get the GAP insurance though, that one I always get at cost.

isueyou

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I paid less than 3k for the maximum care lifetime warranty (note: its the $100 deductible one). I also did pay $600 for trhe paint protection and oil changes for up to 6 years.

Sponsored

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
But like I said I did get the GAP insurance though, that one I always get at cost.
GAP seems like it wouldn't make sense on a Wrangler. You can put $0 down and (providing you get a decent interest rate) never be upside down on it.

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
I paid less than 3k for the maximum care lifetime warranty (note: its the $100 deductible one). I also did pay $600 for trhe paint protection and oil changes for up to 6 years.
They'll cover your paint if you take it off-roading? Was it just oil changes or did it cover all scheduled service for 6 years?

isueyou

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
No I specifically asked if the paint gets damaged from off roading whether it would be covered, the finance associate (who sold me on the program) told me it would not. He told me it was more of a protection against sap from trees, and yellowing from the sun. I am assuming natural problems with paint would be covered.

And the plan only covers the oil changes. I think I paid roughly $600 for non synthetic oil and it was about $800-850 for synthetic oil. But I did ask the service dept. afterwards since the jeep comes with a blend (0w-20), whether I would be getting that blend put in, because I would not want just normal oil put in after having a blend, and they said they would continue with the blend. However, I kind of regret this decision and wish they would be putting full synthetic.

SW777

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 2509 Duramax
For anyone who is Interested. Tyson Motor Corporation in Shorewood, IL will honor the prices of $100 dollars over invoice on Lifetime MaxCare Warranties. Ask for Jason Beltran.

OP
OP

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
Attached are the services that are included. Also, it included tire protection.

Oil change, filter and lube at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55 and 60.
Rotate tires at 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60.

At 30 and 60 they replace spark plugs, and at 60 they replace rear drive assembly fluid, transfer unit fluid.
Other than that, of things they "inspect".

I made a quick call to a local dealer. Seems their synthetic oil changes are $70, tire rotations are $20, spark plugs on a V6 are $212, rear diff $150, transfer $130 and front is $120.
The paperwork I got didn't mention the front fluid though.

So, $840 worth of oil changes, $120 wroth of tire rotations, $424 worth of spark plugs, and $400 worth of fluid changes.
I know all those other lines "inspect this, inspect that, etc" aren't free but there are always coupons and deals.
So $1,784 doesn't add up to the $3k I paid.

Again, this was pitched to me like I pay for the service up front and get the warranty for free. There seems to be a $1200 difference. Maybe the extra 3 years of warranty are worth $1200.
warranty1.jpg
warranty2.jpg
warranty3.jpg
Sponsored