First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
At first i wasn't crazy about the ess options. with an open mind i gave it a shot and got use to it. however, i have some ??? that i would like to know and have a further understanding on the ess.

1. how much is too much in using the ess on a regular basis which include everyday driving and commuting to work? i drive 15-16 miles round trip to and from work 5-6 days a week. in the morning the ess kicks in 8 to 10 times. in the evening the ess kicks in 15 - 20 times. this would be 7.5 miles one way with traffic, lights, stop signs.

2. i usually scan ahead of me and "adjust" my speed, distance, etc so i can usually drive thru without stopping. when necessary i will apply the brake to scroll to a stop but not a completely. "feathering" the brake to avoid the ess to kick in. my question is, does the ess sense this at all so it wants to kick in or i'm not in range for the ess to kick in?

3. i've notice once i apply the brakes. the ess kicks in. if i move my foot slightly on the brake, the engine kicks back on and the ess is off. but i am still stop. will this cause any ess issues? i'm guessing it that sensitive.

4. with #3, when this accrues i can release the brake and re apply it again which causes the ess to kick back on. is this ok or will the ess cause any issues down the road.

5. could i just simply hit the bypass switch from time to time during the drive depending on the condition.?

6. if i have the a/c on or heat, is the ess taking that load in starting back up/

i am aware that i can turn on the bypass switch for the ess. i'm guessing that the ess is setup for this kind on punishment.

i'm am doing a little test to see how much fuel i'm saving but using the ess on a full tank of gas. and will run the 2nd tank of gas without the ess.basically to see how much saving on fuel.

sorry for the long post, just trying to include as much details. any feedback would be great.
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Your ESS won't engage unless you reach the threshold which is approximately half way. And I'm currently teaching my daughter to drive, and the ESS is taking a punishment ;) But it is an excellent tool for letting her know that she has come to a complete stop:like: I actually have never turned it off, so I can't comment on that.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I hate this ESS. Here in Houston, things heat up, fast, when it kicks in. If I knew of a good delete kit, I would do it. I see future big headaches because of this system. No, I'm not interested in a Plug-in that turns it off. I want it permanently gone gone gone.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I hate this ESS. Here in Houston, things heat up, fast, when it kicks in. If I knew of a good delete kit, I would do it. I see future big headaches because of this system. No, I'm not interested in a Plug-in that turns it off. I want it permanently gone gone gone.
A solution such as a Tazer is your best bet for getting rid of ESS. The JL’s electrical system is designed around ESS- it’s the reason we have two batteries. Deleting the AUX battery would open up a can of worms with the electrical system that would ultimately require you to do a software flash anyway and it would end up being expensive to get your jeep right. Like other fuel-saving measures (cylinder deactivation, software-controlled fuel injection), ESS is as much a part of your jeep as the software that tells your dome lights to come on when you open a door.

Sponsored

Riderkjo

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 16 Crosstrek
Vehicle Showcase
Hitting the ESS button is part of starting the vehicle. Brake, start button, ESS, put it in gear. I'm sure it's designed for the abuse, but I would still worry about my poor starter.

cleric7x9

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SAHARA
In my opinion if you have to think about it this much you should just stop using it. I hate it, it startles me every time it activates and deactivates, and I don't care what anybody says, the heat and A/C do not work well when the engine is not running. I live in Florida and every time ESS shuts off the engine the air blowing on me gets noticeably warmer and it is not comfortable.

ESS is designed not to think about. If you are feathering your brake pedal and judging stop distances based on what you think the ESS is going to do, just disable the damn thing and get on with your life.

Garweft

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
I get annoyed because I always forget to turn it off. I get a reminder at the first red light I come to and hit the button then.

I just wish it stayed off after hitting the button, instead of having to remember to turn it off every time I start the Jeep.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Here we go with this fight again.

OP. For one, the upgraded 3.6 is designed to work in ESS equipped, mild hybrid and full hybrid setups. Your daily drive seems like its the exact reason ESS was included on the Jeep. If you know you're not going to be stopped but for a few seconds, like at an empty stop sign, go light on the brakes and it won't do an autostop. If you get to a red light and you're going to be there a few minutes, go further on the brakes and the autostop kicks in. If you're using AC I recommend using auto temp control so that it will adjust the fan speed as necessary during autostops.

A lot of my daily commute to work is on the interstate and is usually clear, but when that gets crowded and goes into stop and go and creeping forward I hit the ESS override button. Constant 1-2 second stops are going to do you no good. You'll need to be stopped for at least 5 seconds for the fuel savings to do you any good.

Good for Red lights, not so much for creeping forward.

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hitting the ESS button is part of starting the vehicle. Brake, start button, ESS, put it in gear. I'm sure it's designed for the abuse, but I would still worry about my poor starter.
Yep, my gf laughs 'cause I talk myself through: "Start, heated seat, Stupid Stop off"

Theoretically they beefed the starters but I still think 12V electric motor manufacturers and rebuilders are THRILLED to see ESS come about - it can only help their bottom line for the life of all modern vehicles

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just to dang old to get used to the ESS, so I'm not even going to try. Of course mine does cycle at least on time during a drive when I forget to push the little off button. :)

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
1. how much is too much in using the ess on a regular basis which include everyday driving and commuting to work?
7 seconds (want a link to the video?) is a generally accepted time at which you start saving gas. But then there's the wear and tear on the starter, to which advocates argue its designed heavy duty for thousands of cycles....and how much ESS annoys its owner.

Chris: context: all ESS systems, much that I don't mind mine suck, and are buying auto makers time to meet CAFE standard goals until they build a better mousetrap as it relates to fuel savings.

2. i usually scan ahead of me and "adjust" my speed, distance, etc so i can usually drive thru without stopping. when necessary i will apply the brake to scroll to a stop but not a completely. "feathering" the brake to avoid the ess to kick in. my question is, does the ess sense this at all so it wants to kick in or i'm not in range for the ess to kick in?

Say you[r on a hill and] want brakes? Just throw the rig into a manual gear. ESS won't kick in, or take the rig out of it. : - ) That's another option to turning off ESS.

The controlled speed you cite to not stop is best. The idea is to not use gas if you're not going places/moving.

3. i've notice once i apply the brakes. the ess kicks in. if i move my foot slightly on the brake, the engine kicks back on and the ess is off. but i am still stop. will this cause any ess issues?
Aside from wear on the starter, and that at less than about 7 seconds your wasting miniscule amounts of gas, not saving (miniscule) amounts gas...not really.

Do note that such miniscularity though does add up across all ESS vehicles.

4. with #3, when this accrues i can release the brake and re apply it again which causes the ess to kick back on. is this ok or will the ess cause any issues down the road.

wear and tear I imagine...that's it....much as starter's can be costly, we don't have metrics yet on the true MTBF (mean time between failure) of the JL starter.​

5. could i just simply hit the bypass switch from time to time during the drive depending on the condition.?

Heck yes. In traffic, I push that button.

6. if i have the a/c on or heat, is the ess taking that load in starting back up/

I'm not sure what is being asked. I'll answer in a way that covers all bases. During an ESS event your JL runs solely off the ESS battery. If that battery is lacking charge, in addition to a dozen other reasons, ESS won't engage. If an ESS event happens and the ESS battery loses sufficient charge, your 3.6L JL will re-crank before ESS event would normally be over if the ESS battery had more power. Turn that A/C to high and you'll likely see that. Not sure about heat.

When the 3.6L re-cranks, the ESS battery merely notifies (a small electric load event) the starter to begin, but before it does, the ESS and main battery are reconnected in parallel, and the starter uses both/either battery for its electric load demanding crank process.

99.99% of the time your two batteries are in parallel. The exceptions are for an instant at crank, cold or ESS, or during an ESS event. Once connected (at successful crank or in Park) the weaker will get power from the strong, and both from the alternator if the engine's on and things are working correctly.

i am aware that i can turn on the bypass switch for the ess. i'm guessing that the ess is setup for this kind on punishment.

It is my friend, but only time will tell "how much."

i'm am doing a little test to see how much fuel i'm saving but using the ess on a full tank of gas. and will run the 2nd tank of gas without the ess.basically to see how much saving on fuel.

Same octane, same course, same tire pressure, same driving habits would be good. : - )

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
7 seconds (want a link to the video?) is a generally accepted time at which you start saving gas. But then there's the wear and tear on the starter, to which advocates argue its designed heavy duty for thousands of cycles....and how much ESS annoys its owner.
I was wondering what the time was to break even. Good to know
For some reason I recall they used to say about a minute to break even on old carbureted engines back in the 70s/80s.
Sponsored