mpg with ess & w/o ess

gutentagit

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
2018 JL, 2 Door with ESS enabled is hitting about 24.5 MPG. Well, according to the display.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thanks for the analysis! This is the first vehicle I've owned with ESS. I don't mind it, except in one instance: When I pull into my driveway and stop, it sometimes shuts the engine off before I put it in park (automatic). So basically, it restarts the engine just for me to put it into park. Sighs.
This. It is incredibly annoying. I haven’t used ESS enough to figure out how to avoid that.

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
This. It is incredibly annoying. I haven’t used ESS enough to figure out how to avoid that.
I always try and remember to hit the button to shut off the engine as soon as I park. You’d think that Jeep should know that when shifted to park or hand brake is engaged, ESS shouldn’t restart the engine.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
That 1.4 mpg figure is critical to FCA for their CAFE average . Also, EMISSIONS. When the engine is not running, its not emitting pollutants. Multiply your idling engine by the hundreds doing likewise in heavy traffic, and it matters...
I'm glad I can enable/ disable mine with the push of a button, choice still matters....

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
to be honest, i don't mind the ess because i've gotten used to it. as far as it shutting off when i pull into the drive way, i haven't had an issue. after doing this analysis, i can see that its a bit of saving in fuel cost and longer fuel range. but i have turned the ess off just to keep the a/c on to cool down the jeep, but turn it back on once it cool enough. i have noticed that the average mpg is another 1.+ gallon higher than 18.8 from the first run. same type of driving with the ess on.. this could be from continuous breakin period since i only have 560 miles on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
just an update, tank #3 was done with approx. 80% ess on and 20% ess off this was done due to hotter weather and running the a/c more to cool off the jeep. still same driving pattern to and from work, etc,

range 6/27 - 7/16
miles on a full tank 260
average mpg 18
23 mile to empty 3.5 gals left
fill up 14 gal to full tank at 17.5

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I've been leaving mine on lately in my manual and I don't really mind it because by the time I have the clutch pushed in it's ready to go but most of the time at a red light it will shut off and randomly start back up about 15 seconds later. Anybody have an idea why it would do that? Seems to be defeating the purpose of any fuel savings.
If your a/c is on it would come on quickly

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
If your a/c is on it would come on quickly
i dont know about this, because my a/c is on and the ess will kick in and stays on until i release the brakes. however i do believe that the brakes are "sensitive" in a way that a slight movement on the brake will start up the engine.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I went without ESS for a couple of months and saw about a 1.1 MPG loss. Over time definitely adds up if you do the math.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
so i did a mpg observation with the ess and without sss. both with a full tank of gas. equal (pretty much dead on) driving conditions (town). i have the jl sport 2 doorwith 3.6, 8 spd auto with 3.45 gears.. so here's the break down:

with ess
days: 16
mileage range:280
avg. mpg: 18.8
miles till empty: 23 =3.5 gal.
total gals to full: 14

without ess
days: 16
mileage range:237
avg. mpg: 17.4
miles till empty: 23 =3.5 gal.
total gals to full: 14

so with that, using the ess would be good for the long run in increasing mpg, fuel range and fuel cost.
And bad long term for the engine, with the constant start ups and shut downs

Why they added ASS to these Jeeps is beyond me, best thing to do is pull the plug or whatever is used to remove that shit

Sponsored

OP
OP
cosine

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
And bad long term for the engine, with the constant start ups and shut downs

Why they added ASS to these Jeeps is beyond me, best thing to do is pull the plug or whatever is used to remove that shit
look around this forum for options in bypassing the ess and you will be happy.

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I keep the ESS off all oft the time. Local driving 18.5 to 19 mpg and highway 21 to 23 mpg It just depends on who is holding the steering wheel.
Trail riding 5ish.

F23426FF-142F-40EB-8185-70782DF76FA2.jpeg

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Even if it only saves you 5 gal a year (x250,000 JL's on the road)
It saves a lot of fuel overall...
Now add in all the fuel saved by other makes, models with this feature. Its a considerable amount.
FCA didn't do it to save the individual owner so much as the big picture. Reduces pollution as well.
FCA makes its money selling V8-powered sedans, Jeeps and pickups. They’re about the least forward-looking major manufacturer out there. The little things like ESS exist only to reduce the amount they get fined at the end of the fiscal year by Uncle Sam for violating CAFE ($70+ million last year).

Batteries and starters can be recycled. I'm not trying to sell it to anyone. Just an observation as to why auto mfr's have developed the technology. The other reason likely is they probably get a monetary advantage for acting like they care.
There you go, now you’re zeroing in on it! Although like I mentioned above, it’s not so much a “monetary advantage” as it is “we pay less in fines.”

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL