Sponsored

ESS start/stop not working properly!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP

Laaajeep

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep sahara 2019
It doesn't always stop the engine. There are alot of things that turn it off, for instance if you have your AC set to "Max" it'll never shut off the engine. If your wheels are turned it won't shut off. If you step on the brake too lightly it wont shut off. If your battery is hot, or cold, it wont shut off.
Yes I understand that and I tried all ways but the only message I get is "battery charging"
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
As a previous poster replied, some people have had to go back and tell them to change both batts. That or you have a parasitic drain on your batteries, or a bad alternator. Some people have also found loose fuses causing problems.

gsyoung

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU North Edition
Sounds interesting cause the replaced only the backup battery
Agreed. They said something about the backup battery somehow getting damaged when they only replaced it. Only way they could resolve the issue was to replace both at the same time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Laaajeep

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep sahara 2019
As a previous poster replied, some people have had to go back and tell them to change both batts. That or you have a parasitic drain on your batteries, or a bad alternator. Some people have also found loose fuses causing problems.
Do you have any idea how can I test the main battery or the alternator?, cause I check all fuses already and all of them are ok

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well, you need a load tester to really test the battery correctly, it can have a surface charge that will read over 12 volts but still not be holding a charge. If you turn on your ignition without starting the vehicle the volt meter on your center display should read somewhere between 12 and 12.8 volts. When you start the Jeep you will see what the charging system is putting out to the battery, usually between 12.8 and 14.3 volts, it will be higher the more depleted your battery is. That isn't a full-proof test though. Like I said the Batt can read good but not be holding a full charge, and the charging system will not charge up a battery that it sees as good. Unfortunately because of the complexity of intelligent battery charging systems it's hard to just hook up a meter and say "ok, my alternator or regulator is fried" like you could on older charging systems. I think you may need to find another dealer or return to yours and insist that they fix it correctly.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is this a manual transmission?

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
The system not engaged when stop the engine keeps on
Ok, it’s the battery. Get your battery replaced as soon as possible. There are many other threads on this subject, look back on those and you will see a lot of information that will help you determine what your problem is, but I have done that work for you.... :)

Sponsored

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
I have a manual and I just have started having this issue. The dash warning light comes on saying the auto start/stop system needs to be serviced after I drive it for 30-45 min. The system works fine up until that point. When this happens the backup camera also stops working, which I find to be a super strange combo of issues., but it is a jeep. Haha. I just examined the two grounds on the passenger side of the engine bay and they are not touching/shorting. I had read that this could be causing the issue. I also popped the cover off the fuse bank and almost all of the fuses and relays were barely seated. The wired connections to the fuse box were also not touching each other as others have experienced. Jury is still out on whether seating the fuses has helped or not, but will report back after I drive the jeep for an extended period of time again.

lovespicyfood

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Wrangler Sport S
I bought my daughter a 2020 JL for her 16th bday. When I looked at the car, it was parked off site in storage and it was completely dead, not even the courtesy lights would turn on. They jumped it and I bought it. After test drive the car wouldn't start again. I bought the car and had them store it for ~3 weeks until her bday. They said service checked the batteries out and they were okay and charged them.

We've had the Jeep for a little over a month and I just realized the start / stop has never worked. It says the battery is charging, but there are no error messages. Made an appointment for next week.

Seems this is a common practice. I understand the AUX battery is usually to blame but wondering if I should try to force replacement of the hybrid pack? Don't want this to be a recurring issue...

lovespicyfood

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Wrangler Sport S
Got the Jeep in today. They load tested the AUX and main battery pack, both failed and both were replaced. Start / stop is working flawlessly now.

What was kind of annoying is that the service advisor said there was an open ticket on the vehicle, they were supposed to have load tested those batteries before I took possession of the car but did not.

Oh well, hopefully everything is resolved now.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Common issue, especially if not run much. Battery tender once a month solved mine.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
All,

Not to stir up more chaos but after off-roading up near the Continental Divide all day, during the drive back down the hill on I70 I noticed the "Start/Stop Not Ready Battery Protection Mode" message while periodically cycling through the EVIC displays.

Uh? Driving nearly 60 miles on the freeway home (half of that being on flat land north of Denver), should have charged the batteries. The EVIC Battery Voltage has been in the high 13v range. Off course once off the freeway, ESS was indeed not working. It remained like this even up to the point I shut the ignition off in my driveway.

After unloading everything and pulling the Jeep into the garage, the EVIC Battery Voltage was still at 13.9v at idle. Not a good sign.

I had (by luck) ordered a replacement rubber tailgate bumper and have an appointment with the dealership tommorow. Totally unrelated. However I decided to 'Unmarry' my Tazer anyway. Who knows what they'll do while they have my rig in their garage. This Tazer unmarry event however required a 'full reboot' with two additional sleep cycles (door open/close and then waiting for the cluster to go dark, twice). This is Tazer's standard operating procedure.

Afterwards and just to confirm that all my Tazer recalibrations had been reverted back to factory settings, I drove it around the block.

Well, low and behold the "Battery Protection Mode" issue just disappeared and the ESS is working again immediately after the reboot. Well at least after the normal engine temp warm up time. The EVIC Battery Voltage reading is again down to its normal 12.8 volts.

NOTE: The batteries did not magically charge themselves while the Jeep ignition was off and parked in the garage. It had also been parked nearly 4 hours until I remembered to unmarry the Tazer.

So what the hell? Does high-altitude (12,500 ft) off-road fun cause the Intelligent Battery Sensor to misbehave? Do the batteries drain on driving down to 5000 ft? Is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software getting confused with charging the batteries when wheeling in 4Low all day? Do the batteries require some rest time in order to indicate a better charge?

Of course not to all of the above! At least all except the PCM software, it certainly looks to be confused.

Regardless, a full reboot of the PCM, TCM, BCM controllers as well as the Radio seemed to immediately fix the "Battery Protection Mode" issue. I never ever popped the hood open to do anything except to plug in my air-compressor to air up the tires for the drive home. The engine was running the entire time.

As a side note, I routinely also check all fuses and relays periodically. Especially before playing in our Colorado back yard. A couple pics below to prove it.

Unfortunately this Battery Protection Mode issue certainly appears to be a software bug to me...

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS start/stop not working properly!!!!!!!!!!!! IMG_20200722_101247

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS start/stop not working properly!!!!!!!!!!!! IMG_20200722_101353
Sponsored