Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Curious... does anyone know what changed between JK and JL to reduce the oil capacity by a quart?
Sponsored

Ethan

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Metal Fabricator & Stuff
Curious... does anyone know what changed between JK and JL to reduce the oil capacity by a quart?
I can tell you that the oil pan on my JL is about half the size as the one on my JK. That might be a start.

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting.... the JK (same motor) took 6qts. - I can see this being an issue with the rocket scientists manning the oil change stations.

I'll still be doing my own maintenance especially now....
Me too :facepalm:

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my first oil change done yesterday on my JL. I mentioned about the 5 quarts for the 2018+ JL's vs. the 6 for the JK's, and the shop manager told me that the owner's manual is miss-typed, that it takes 6 quarts. I just went and checked my oil level, and it certainly looks over filled to me.

I'll check w/another dealer about it. Hopefully, if it is overfilled, it doesn't do any damage to my engine.

Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
I just had my first oil change done yesterday on my JL. I mentioned about the 5 quarts for the 2018+ JL's vs. the 6 for the JK's, and the shop manager told me that the owner's manual is miss-typed, that it takes 6 quarts. I just went and checked my oil level, and it certainly looks over filled to me.

I'll check w/another dealer about it. Hopefully, if it is overfilled, it doesn't do any damage to my engine.
That manager is a dipstick. I did my own oil change and 5 qts brings it right to the top of the fill line on the dipstick. That is why I don’t let anyone do routine maintenance on any of my vehicles.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Go by what you manual says. If it calls for 0w20 than that's what I would run. If the over filled it I would find somewhere else to take it for oil changes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
That manager is a dipstick. I did my own oil change and 5 qts brings it right to the top of the fill line on the dipstick. That is why I don’t let anyone do routine maintenance on any of my vehicles.
Lol, "Dipstick"! That's a great pun!

I'm with you. I lost a 3.5 Ecoboost to the tune of about $12k in our Transit van due to an oil change shop messing up and having a double gasket on the filter, causing the oil to puke out when at high pressure, grenading the engine. Fortunately, the shop owner is a stand up guy and took responsibility. He had insurance that paid for it. I still take that van to him because he is an honest guy and the oil is really hard to change on it. It is just too low to the ground. I do my own on every vehicle that is do-able at home, though.

GoHack

First Name
Gordon (N7QEI)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray JLU Sport, DoM 7/18 (Wed)
Occupation
Mech Engr
Vehicle Showcase
First of all, when I went and checked my oil level early today, the vehicle had been sitting for a few hours at my parking lot at work, which is also very level. So thinking about it since my earlier posting, the engine oil, including what was once in the oil filter container, had pretty much ALL settled down into the oil pan. It appeared to be over an inch over the full mark when I checked it.

With that said, I went and checked w/another dealer, and from what their service documentation said, they said that it takes 5 quarts.

With that, from what I read, as well as heard from you guys, I went to the dealership which did my oil change, and explained the situation, and what I found out.

The service manager was very cooperative, and immediately went and checked my oil level, but of course my engine was now warm, and the oil filter container now full. It still looked like it was over the full mark on the dip stick, as I saw it, but it was hard to be certain w/it getting dark.

The manager then had my JL put on a lift inside, and had a tech drain the oil into a clear oil fill container w/measurement lines. The tech also loosened the oil filter cartridge, in order to get as much of the oil out of the engine as possible. It ended up measuring well over 5 1/2 quarts. They were going to empty the drained oil back into engine after, but I wasn't too keen on that. The container was clean, but still? So having them put in new clean oil, they first added five quarts, started the engine, let run a moment and then shut it down and sit a few moments. The oil level appeared to be halfway between Empty and Full. They then added another half a quart, started it up a again, shut down, sit a few moments, and it then measured at the full mark.

The service manager also show me the oil fill machine which they had used to fill my vehicle yesterday. The vehicle's VIN number is entered into the computer on it, and it says how much oil is to be added, which in my case, said 6 quarts, what weight oil, 0W-20, and whether it requires Full, or Semi Synthetic oil, Full Synthetic, and the tech goes from there, putting the oil fill tube into the oil fill on the engine, and it puts in the recommended oil, and amount, into the engine.

So from what I can see at the moment, the engine appears to actually take more like 5 1/2 quarts, vs. 5 or 6 quarts, w/the half quart going into the oil filter container, when the engine has been run. Once the engine cools, the oil settles, including emptying out of the oil filter container, the oil level should be over the full mark. The 6 quarts appears on the machine, at the moment, to be simply the rounding out of 5 1/2 quarts.

Tomorrow, I'll check the oil level once again, both cold and hot, for a final conclusion.

Finally, the service manager was "VERY" cooperative, which is very rare now-a-days, and gave me no lip or anything. He too saw that the real number may be more like 5 1/2 quarts, vs. the 5 stated in the manual, and what the oil fill machine data base recommends, so we'll see.

I too use to change my own oil, as well as do many other things, on my own vehicles, but unfortunately, I'm now renting an apartment vs. owning a house, and they don't like people working on their vehicles at the complex where I now live. Plus I'm not as young as I once was. ;)

So in the mean time, when you guys get a chance, for those of you who only put 5 quarts in their JL's, could you check your oil, both cold and hot, to see if what I'm seeing is correct, that being more like 5 1/2 quarts? Thanks!

Sponsored

stangken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i/Triumph Thruxton R/Suzuki SV650
Taken directly from manual....

“To ensure proper lubrication of your vehicle’s engine, the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level. The engine oil level should be checked five minutes after a warmed up engine has been shut off.”

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The 3.6 L, 2018/2019 Wrangler JL, takes 5 quarts of oil. This is not debatable.

At oil change time for the JL's 3.6L, 5 qts. gets poured in and reality is there is no reason / no need to check the dipstick after you pour it in. 5 quarts is 5 quarts. 5 quarts is what is required.

Sure when you take a dipstick reading on most any vehicle, it can be affected by when the last vehicle was last run and such.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Leights7

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Does anybody know why the oil reading on the dipstick is different on each side ie: the side that shoes the numbers is way higher on mine than the other side, which shows a normal level.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I cannot believe we are entering the second production year of JL and some dealers still could not figure this out.
Sponsored