First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Interesting topic about the vents and if they do or do not work. I figured I would try to see what they indeed do
Required 2 people and one leaf blower, l didn’t use my back pack blower, I used a EGO electric blower.
First testing was done with the Jeep off.
Blower at high speed pointed directly at the grill, hood vents and side vents were checked
Warmed up Jeep doing the above testing hood and side vents checked
Blower pointed towards the hood vents, not down at the vents, done as if you were driving and air was rushing over them. Checking side vents
Blower pointed at windshield as air would hit it and force it forward, like a true cowel induction, and checking side vents
Blower directed at side vents as if you were driving.
This is what I have checked already, if you have any real questions I will try them out
Give me a day or two with all of the questions and I should have a complete list of what the results are

Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX 2015, Ford F150, Honda Odyssey,
Just curious, is it loud for both engines, 2.0 and 3.6? Or is this largely a 3.6 issue?

Sponsored

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Just curious, is it loud for both engines, 2.0 and 3.6? Or is this largely a 3.6 issue?
Jeep informant posted a vid on youtube and apparently they have different fans. Unsure how loud the 2.0 is - only thing louder than my 3.6 so far is a Boeing 737...

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I have a 2 door 3.6L. I have not heard mine make this noise, even on a 96 degree day with the ac on. However i was at the dealership and heard an Unlimited screaming as it was being pulled into the detail bay. I remember my parents had a 89 chevy blazer with the 4.3l v6, and it sounded just like that unlimited with the fan on. So did my 93 s10 with the 4.3l.

I wonder, are there any manuals making this noise? Reason i ask, does Jeep mount the transmission cooler in front of the radiator or combine the cooler with the radiator making it thicker for them to turn up the rpm's on the fan.

Rubicon life

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jl 2018
Is everyone else’s engine cooling fan EXTREMELY loud too? The first time I heard it I ran over to look at the tach because I thought the engine was idling at 4000 rpm.
Mine sounds like ww2 planes taking off lol

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
I have an observation... I went wheeling with another JLUR on Saturday. We where following each other doing the same trails and speeds, yet my fan stayed quiet for the most part and the other was screaming for the bulk of the day. What's the difference???

Mine is a 3.6L 6-speed, and I was running the A/C for the wife the whole time...

He has a 3.6L 8-speed, with his A/C OFF. Yet his fan was screaming.

I'm wondering if the auto transmission is creating enough heat when off-roading to demand the fan to be at max speed. I know that the only times that my jeep's fan runs at ludicrous speed/sound is when i choose the "MAX A/C" option, and that's it. I've towed a 10' trailer with a dual-sport bike and camping equipment for 4 up steep grades recently and still did not have it go full loud.

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I have an observation... I went wheeling with another JLUR on Saturday. We where following each other doing the same trails and speeds, yet my fan stayed quiet for the most part and the other was screaming for the bulk of the day. What's the difference???

Mine is a 3.6L 6-speed, and I was running the A/C for the wife the whole time...

I'm wondering if the auto transmission is creating enough heat when off-roading to demand the fan to be at max speed. I know that the only times that my jeep's fan runs at ludicrous speed/sound is when i choose the "MAX A/C" option, and that's it. I've towed a 10' trailer with a dual-sport bike and camping equipment for 4 up steep grades recently and still did not have it go full loud.
I wonder, are there any manuals making this noise? Reason i ask, does Jeep mount the transmission cooler in front of the radiator or combine the cooler with the radiator making it thicker for them to turn up the rpm's on the fan.
I had wondered the same thing

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
The fan speeds up with the cabin A/C fan. If the cabin fan is on one, the radiator fan is not loud. Turn the cabin fan up all the way, the radiator fan speeds up. It is stupid because if you leave the cabin fan on high after it sits all night, the radiator fan goes to full speed with a cold engine. At least mine does.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon

I think you are right and auto's fan comes on more to bring air across the transmission cooler which is mounted in front of the radiator.

I have a manual and the fan only comes on that high when I have the a/c on. There has been a few times it has come on without the a/c but only when on the trail..still pretty rare though.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So has FCA not engineered it to have the fan come on or speed up based on actual engine coolant temperature like every other manufacturer of modern automobiles? If it’s -20 outside and you’re driving down the road at 60 mph and you turn on the AC blower on high speed but set to warm temperature, does the engine fan still cycle high?

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
So has FCA not engineered it to have the fan come on or speed up based on actual engine coolant temperature like every other manufacturer of modern automobiles? If it’s -20 outside and you’re driving down the road at 60 mph and you turn on the AC blower on high speed but set to warm temperature, does the engine fan still cycle high?
Seems that way. You would think engine temp like you said. If FCA does not fix it, hope someone comes out with a coolant temp kit
Sponsored