Sponsored

What temperature does the engine cooling fan come on at and what is the normal operating temp?

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I noticed lately that my 2021 3.6 auto Rubicon on 35’s seems to run a bit warm. Ambient temp is 70* and occasionally I see temps in the 107C/224 F range and can honestly say I don’t ever recall hearing the engine fan running.
Seems to run warmer in slower moving traffic, not bumper to bumper slow but more like 35-40 MPH speeds. Once on the highway the temps drop to 87C-95C (188F- 203F).
Do those temps seem normal?
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I noticed lately that my 2021 3.6 auto Rubicon on 35’s seems to run a bit warm. Ambient temp is 70* and occasionally I see temps in the 107C/224 F range and can honestly say I don’t ever recall hearing the engine fan running.
Seems to run warmer in slower moving traffic, not bumper to bumper slow but more like 35-40 MPH speeds. Once on the highway the temps drop to 87C-95C (188F- 203F).
Do those temps seem normal?
Those temps are normal.

The fan doesn't come on at a specific temperature.

It will be commanded on by the PCM depending on what value in the algorithm is too high.

It could be oil temp, water temp, water temp correction based on barometric pressure, engine load, etc... it also has a predictive calculation where engine load over time will cause the fan to come on early to prevent any spiking of the temperature.

The Jeep will let you know when it gets too hot, but the temps in your post are good to go.

Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Where do you get that?
I get it from the information FCA provides Mitchell, which is basically a copy and paste.

Thermostat begins to open at 190 and is fully open by 212.

Here's a snapshot for you:

Jeep Wrangler JL What temperature does the engine cooling fan come on at and what is the normal operating temp? Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.17.40 PM

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I get it from the information FCA provides Mitchell, which is basically a copy and paste.

Thermostat begins to open at 190 and is fully open by 212.

Here's a snapshot for you:

Jeep Wrangler JL What temperature does the engine cooling fan come on at and what is the normal operating temp? Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 12.17.40 PM
Thanks! I'm not at work so couldn't get to mine, the part lists as 194F thermostat in our database though, not sure where they get the number.

Farmerbeau

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Coast Guard
Mine got up to 237 today in 73 deg going about 30 mph, on level ground at 7100 ft. What the heck? The hour trip I was on temps ranged mostly in the 210-220s.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Those temps are normal.

The fan doesn't come on at a specific temperature.

It will be commanded on by the PCM depending on what value in the algorithm is too high.

It could be oil temp, water temp, water temp correction based on barometric pressure, engine load, etc... it also has a predictive calculation where engine load over time will cause the fan to come on early to prevent any spiking of the temperature.

The Jeep will let you know when it gets too hot, but the temps in your post are good to go.
I guess this may be the reason why when I am running A/C and at 100F+ outside temperature, my coolant temperature remains under 200F but in cooler weather when the A/C is not on, the coolant temps go high as 219F or more on the same route of my daily commute.

boston3111

First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys JLU
I've noticed my fan comes on at random times. Just this morning I cranked it up and the fan came on after a few minutes of being on. I also live in Texas where the heat index is 100 plus.

What gets me is how dang loud this fan is... Sounds like a Jet..

I took it to the dealer and was told the fan will run at specific times, and the heat temp is normal as they tend to run a bit warm all the time.

Sponsored

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
My coolant seems to love being at either 203F or 223F, only had the jeep for a couple weeks and don't stare at the coolant temps all day but every time i look its one of those 2 numbers.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
The electric fan def does some odd stuff on mine. I hear it running like an airplane when it's not even that hot outside and the Jeep is just started, then it's quiet when I've been running it and it's super hot (as hot as the front range of CO gets). There's no rhyme or reason lol. I just figure the PCM knows best.

I can say this.. I've run it over mountain ranges at high elevations of 10k+ feet, which made it run hotter than ever due to 37'' tires, stock 4.10 gears, and elevation power loss..it was working HARD. The temp climbed straight to 230 and stayed there. The fan was kicking like an airplane but it maintained temp. It was freaking me out how fast the temp climbed but once it hit 230 it stayed there. I've since upgraded to 5.13 gears so that helped immensely.

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
I've noticed the seemingly random airplane roar of the fan this summer more than in the past. Thought something was wrong because it was so loud. Reading this, I'm glad I'm not the only one hearing it. Yet another "jeep thing".

NicoleO

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
My 2021 Wrangler High altitude Sahara’s fan is constantly turning on. I will drive it for 10 minutes and the fan will kick on, literally sounds like a jet. I live in Michigan and this also happens in the winter. Jeep replaced the PCM thinking that was the problem but the fan still kicks on every day after 10 minutes of driving. I reached out to the dealership and no solution. I still haven’t even got a direct answer on is this normal, most likely I’m guessing not. Not sure what else to do.