Sponsored

High RPM Fan Motor

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Its the radiator fan , when you start up or remote start the rig automatically starts the climate control so the interior fan kicks in on high which you can hear the exterior fan extremely high
Yes, ops norm with jeeps.
Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Can anyone measure the decibels when the radiator fan is on full speed so others can use it as a reference?

I wonder if they put the maximum pitch on the blades. If they did, it must be one hell of a fan.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Normal, it’s loud, reminds me of how loud my old Cherokee was (OG Cherokee 4.0)

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Noticed yesterday with mid 90's here it was doing that too. It's not really acceptable on a vehicle that is going to be driving for wheeling at extremely slow speeds. I don't want a vehicle that the fan is so loud you can't hear a spotter on the trail. Taking mine in this week, that is just not acceptable and if that is the way it is, the design is defective..

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
There's another thread stating their JL gets up to operating temperature really quick. I wonder if installing an aftermarket thermostat would help? Maybe OEM thermostats are too restrictive when closed and prevent coolant from circulating?

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
There's another thread stating their JL gets up to operating temperature really quick. I wonder if installing an aftermarket thermostat would help? Maybe OEM thermostats are too restrictive when closed and prevent coolant from circulating?
It's my understanding that when the thermostat is closed it should prevent coolant from circulating.

The thermostat regulates minimum engine temp, the rest of the cooling system regulates maximum temp.

Getting to operating temp quickly is a good thing for oil life. Plus in the winter it's nice to have hot air blowing quickly.

The fan is loud.... I'm sure the engineers at JEEP wouldn't have designed it like that unless it's needed. I think it blows that hard to help the AC cool the cabin quicker at startup. In Texas summers Ill deal with a loud fan to have AC that blows cold sooner.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
It's my understanding that when the thermostat is closed it should prevent coolant from circulating.

The thermostat regulates minimum engine temp, the rest of the cooling system regulates maximum temp.

Getting to operating temp quickly is a good thing for oil life. Plus in the winter it's nice to have hot air blowing quickly.

The fan is loud.... I'm sure the engineers at JEEP wouldn't have designed it like that unless it's needed. I think it blows that hard to help the AC cool the cabin quicker at startup. In Texas summers Ill deal with a loud fan to have AC that blows cold sooner.
Some thermostats have air bleeder/weep hole that allows some coolant to circulate even when the thermostat is closed. This helps prevent hot pockets, I wonder how the JL thermostat is designed? Maybe it doesn't have the weep hole which could cause the thermostat to stay closed too long? This could lead to inadequate temperature readings, then once the thermostat finally opens the fan has to work overtime to bring temperature back to normal.

Just throwing out ideas. Rarely do I hear electric fans run at full speed on my vehicles, even in FL summers. I don't have my JL so I could be confusing fan low/high speed, but the videos I've watched sounds like fans are running full speed for quite some time, even when sitting idle.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
Some thermostats have air bleeder/weep hole that allows some coolant to circulate even when the thermostat is closed. This helps prevent hot pockets, I wonder how the JL thermostat is designed? Maybe it doesn't have the weep hole which could cause the thermostat to stay closed too long? This could lead to inadequate temperature readings, then once the thermostat finally opens the fan has to work overtime to bring temperature back to normal.

Just throwing out ideas. Rarely do I hear electric fans run at full speed on my vehicles, even in FL summers. I don't have my JL so I could be confusing fan low/high speed, but the videos I've watched sounds like fans are running full speed for quite some time, even when sitting idle.
The fan is needed most when sitting idle because the vehicle is not moving. Vehicle speed forces air through the cooling/AC system without the fan.

Just sayin.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
The fan is needed most when sitting idle because the vehicle is not moving. Vehicle speed forces air through the cooling/AC system without the fan.

Just sayin.
But does it have to be on high for a few minutes at a time? I changed coolant in my vehicles last summer and the fans would kick on low for maybe 20 seconds every few minutes, and these engines are smaller and larger than a 3.6L.

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
But does it have to be on high for a few minutes at a time? I changed coolant in my vehicles last summer and the fans would kick on low for maybe 20 seconds every few minutes, and these engines are smaller and larger than a 3.6L.
To be honest I thought the fan was either on or off. Didn't know about high or low.

Maybe you can find a replacement fan off another car that's quieter or something.
Personally I don't find it to be too big of a deal.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Same here its normal, it slows down in about 15s.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I don’t mind it at all. I actually think that’s the beauty of an electronically, independent controlled fan. It doesn’t rely on the engine speed. It does what’s needed when needed.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I heard one driving in a parking lot yesterday. It was loud enough to catch my attention for sure. Now I understand what you guys are concerned about.
Sponsored