Educate me: leather seats

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I live in the Arizona desert. I test drove a JL last summer with leather seats and none of the options I wanted. I had to buy it because I was stuck to the seat and couldn't break free. I've been living in the jeep ever since and idling it day and night to stay cool (please reference other thread on the risk factors associated with this). Do you know how hard it is to find a full service gas station outside of Jersey or Oregon.

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Leather seat lovers....I'm not in your camp but I completely respect your decision to get and otherwise love them.

What was it about them that your found appeal with? Is it that they feel softer, look nicer, are snazzier, etc.? I'm not hear to judge you for getting things simply because/if you think they look nice--if that was your reason beyond all else.

For me, if both seats were offered with no price differential...and maybe this is born if ignorance never knowing from better, I'd opt for the cloth--which I did with mine (especially in light of the price difference.) I think they're better in extremes of temperature.

Sure, in a more classical luxury sedan or SUV where climate control is always on, and there's apt to be some remote engine start, I suspect these temperature differences are not an issue, and leather seats are sort of "part in parcel" with the ownership experience--not that FCA hasn't taken major steps to make our interior comfort far more feature rich on the JL than the JK.

Thanks.
For my it’s simple. I’m a slob and the leather is easier to clean with no stains. I also put a seat cover over my seat to insure I don’t mess up the leather.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
..... And contrary to most other people, I think it is cooler in the summer....
Aside from the initial contact with a seat that's been exposed to direct sunlight, I completely agree with this. In general the leather is cooler while driving. That initial contact though, it can be pretty hot. Hence the towel while I'm parked, though I'll soon have a Sunrider for hardtop so I won't need the towel anymore.

...The dogs didn't even get into that cloth interior but the fur transferred from his clothing in a heartbeat, lol! And it's so hard to get it all vacuumed out.
Random tip for you. Use a rubber squeegee to "brush" the cloth seats with, and the fur comes right off. ;)
Sounds crazy but works great. I don't remember how/when I learned this but I've been doing it on the cloth seats in my work car for years.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Aside from the initial contact with a seat that's been exposed to direct sunlight, I completely agree with this. In general the leather is cooler while driving. That initial contact though, it can be pretty hot. Hence the towel while I'm parked, though I'll soon have a Sunrider for hardtop so I won't need the towel anymore.

Random tip for you. Use a rubber squeegee to "brush" the cloth seats with, and the fur comes right off. ;)
Sounds crazy but works great. I don't remember how/when I learned this but I've been doing it on the cloth seats in my work car for years.
Sounds like another use for those rubber brooms they make.

Sponsored

Yellow_Rubi-can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Thats easy to answer!

1: Leather shocks you less when you get out of the vehicle.. Compared to cloth! You get that 1500 volt discharge LOL
2: Leather is easier to clean. Spill coffee on cloth seats vs leather..
3: Leather has much better resale value than dirty used up cloth, because leather stays new
4: Leather looks much more premium! (maybe alcantara suede looks more premium but thats not offered in the Jeep)
5: Leather is more comfortable and feels better.
6: Every time i sit in a cloth seat, i imagine how many before me have sat and sweat in it and how i am absorbing it all...
7: For the cold weather, there is heated seats..
8: I wont buy a vehicle if it doesn't have leather, and everyone i know says the same..

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thats easy to answer!

6: Every time i sit in a cloth seat, i imagine how many before me have sat and sweat in it and how i am absorbing it all...
And farts. You ever sit down on a cloth seat and smell old shit? It's disgusting.

JLU-Riptide

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The main reason I got leather was because I liked the look over the cloth seats. The other important reason why I didn't even consider cloth is because I take mine off-road on a regular basis and leather is way easier than cloth to clean mud and dirt off of.

Janne

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue , ‘96 BMW 328i Convertible
I bought leather because of my pets. For me, the dog fur is tougher to remove from cloth seats. I also chose the tan! No complaints!!

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Leather seat lovers....I'm not in your camp but I completely respect your decision to get and otherwise love them.

What was it about them that your found appeal with? Is it that they feel softer, look nicer, are snazzier, etc.? I'm not hear to judge you for getting things simply because/if you think they look nice--if that was your reason beyond all else.

For me, if both seats were offered with no price differential...and maybe this is born if ignorance never knowing from better, I'd opt for the cloth--which I did with mine (especially in light of the price difference.) I think they're better in extremes of temperature.

Sure, in a more classical luxury sedan or SUV where climate control is always on, and there's apt to be some remote engine start, I suspect these temperature differences are not an issue, and leather seats are sort of "part in parcel" with the ownership experience--not that FCA hasn't taken major steps to make our interior comfort far more feature rich on the JL than the JK.

Thanks.
Spills clean up easily.

Sponsored

EugeneTheJeep

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
How will the leather seats hold up in rain? Will the non-leather part in between the bottom and back seat sections absorb water?

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I have dogs and I hate stains. That’s about the best answer I have for you. Dog hair gets into cloth and I can simply wipe down leather. Same with liquids. I could get by with cloth, but I could also get by without a Jeep.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
And farts. You ever sit down on a cloth seat and smell old shit? It's disgusting.
LOL. I've never experienced that, but nobody who has been in your Jeep is allowed to ride in mine. Ya'll are nasty. :puke: :CWL:

How will the leather seats hold up in rain? Will the non-leather part in between the bottom and back seat sections absorb water?
There's been a few posts with people who have leather seats caught out in the rain with the top off. Heated seat still works and everything. Obviously regular exposure to water isn't good for leather, but an occasional occurrence seems to be safe.
I"m not sure which part you're talking about, but I'm going to assume that anything getting rained on will absorb at least some amount of water.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
LOL. I've never experienced that, but nobody who has been in your Jeep is allowed to ride in mine. Ya'll are nasty. :puke: :CWL:
Hey, not my Jeep. I used to sell impounded cars, really old shitty ones
Sponsored