Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
Leather seat lovers....I'm not in your camp but I completely respect your decision to get and otherwise love them.

What was it about them that your found appeal with? Is it that they feel softer, look nicer, are snazzier, etc.? I'm not hear to judge you for getting things simply because/if you think they look nice--if that was your reason beyond all else.

For me, if both seats were offered with no price differential...and maybe this is born if ignorance never knowing from better, I'd opt for the cloth--which I did with mine (especially in light of the price difference.) I think they're better in extremes of temperature.

Sure, in a more classical luxury sedan or SUV where climate control is always on, and there's apt to be some remote engine start, I suspect these temperature differences are not an issue, and leather seats are sort of "part in parcel" with the ownership experience--not that FCA hasn't taken major steps to make our interior comfort far more feature rich on the JL than the JK.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
If I can't get cloth done in the colors I want (not black, brown or beige), then I do leather.

Only do it for the colors, and for the price of oem, go aftermarket with Katzkin's or something comparable

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I personally do not like leather. I just don't care for the feel of it. I had it in my Envoy and just didn't care for it.

Gengispecan

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door jl Rubicon
I got them only because the Rubicon at my dealership had 2000 miles on it and was 12K less than a brand new one..... soooo I couldn't pass that up! Definitely don't recommend them though as my back is always sweating, especially living in the south. They get hot in the sun so I'm always putting the top up when I park.

I'll probably buy cloth seats next summer and sell the leather ones. But if it doesn't get hot and humid where you live, I'd say go for it. They are pretty comfy and look snazzy if that's your thing.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I bought leather because of kids. Spills are easy to clean. I admit, cloth to be more comfortable in temp extreme environments. Leather is just wipe clean and move on. I know that cloth seats stain and are are a porous. Milk and non-clear drinks are a nightmare to remove. If milk is spilt on cloth it is absorbed into the seat and will start smelling in warm weather. Any sugar drinks takes lots of steam cleaning to clean. After cleaning the stains always seem to reappear. Sometimes when the seats get wet it leaves rings in the if a small child has a wetting accident most of the urine is absorbed into the seat cushion which will need to be replaced due to smell

Sponsored

Tjbrlecic1

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I have had leather in all the vehicles we owned and all of the furniture in the house.
Kid and dog goop are easy to clean off of leather. When my hunting dog is wet and cold a towel goes on the seat and the heated seats get turned on. In just a few minutes she is done shivering and is very content.
Another advantage is when I am dirty and oily from working I jump in and go. I can wipe the leather down when I get home.
Same goes for trail riding. The dirt can come home with us. A few minutes with a damp rag and the leather looks good.
Just a more durable surface.

Jeff1

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I got the leather in my JLUR, good feel and are comfortable. The only thing I don't like is that on a hot day your legs/butt will sweat thru a pair of shorts.

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
We have leather i our JKU, but from experience with the top off chose cloth in the 2020 JKUR in order.

If, in the future, we want leather the Katzkin leather seat covers are less expensive than factory leather.

Rla1022

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Moab
Old JK had black cloth. We have a BIG White Dog that loves to shed all over everything. Leather does not attract the hair.

Sponsored

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I liked the leather package because of the all additional bits you get. In the rubicon for example you’d get the nicer door panels and dash as well as the leather wrapped shift knob and 4x4 lever. You also get the fold down center arm rest in the back and the gap covers for the rear seat. The Sahara comes standard with the nicer door panels and the dash. However if you opt for leather you get all the additional stuff plus the leather inserts on the front of the dash. Only gripe I have is in hotter weather it does get warmer. But I’m ok with that trade off versus dealing with cloth and the stains and smells etc. I live in the Midwest and so it’s usually cold. The seats and steering wheel heat up within a min. No complaints and I’d get the leather over again.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I liked the leather package because of the all additional bits you get. In the rubicon for example you’d get the nicer door panels and dash as well as the leather wrapped shift knob and 4x4 lever. You also get the fold down center arm rest in the back and the gap covers for the rear seat. The Sahara comes standard with the nicer door panels and the dash. However if you opt for leather you get all the additional stuff plus the leather inserts on the front of the dash. Only gripe I have is in hotter weather it does get warmer. But I’m ok with that trade off versus dealing with cloth and the stains and smells etc. I live in the Midwest and so it’s usually cold. The seats and steering wheel heat up within a min. No complaints and I’d get the leather over again.
That's why I was so happy to see the tan leather available during the lead up to the JL's release. I couldn't be happier with mine.

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I added leather to mine for look and comfort. Adding the leather gives you larger bolsters so the feel surrounding you is so much better. Take a look at some of the Katz skin examples on some of the garages here, there is a difference. The extra padding that comes with the leather was the deal maker for me.
Sponsored