Sponsored

Educate me: leather seats

Ntegtmeyer

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2014 Jeep Patriot Oscar Mike Edition, 2012 Jeep Compass Limited
I did not want leather in a Jeep here in AZ, but I have to admit that the leather does look better than the current cloth offering. I personally preferred the cloth in the YJ's best, particularly in Sahara guise. It was also virtually impossible to stain. But for this expensive beast, I opted for cloth knowing I would cover them with PRP seat covers.

Admittedly, tweed isn't for everyone. It's for more of a discerning buyer. Perhaps one who has grown tired of his Bentley Bentayga Falconry Edition, on now wants something a little more upscale.

48262114981_28b3093b34_h.jpg

48262114486_b3ca5275d7_h.jpg
I love these seat covers, do you have more info on them?
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
Very interesting thread here. Isn’t it amazing how we all have varying opinions? “Leather is more comfortable” “Cloth is more comfortable” “Jeep’s cloth looks cheap” “Jeep’s leather looks cheap”.

I have my own opinion after owning about 35 vehicles in 45 years. But, hey, it doesn’t matter anyway. Get what you want!

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Thanks for the tip and recommendations Mark. I figured it best to ask the expert.

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Leather seat lovers....I'm not in your camp but I completely respect your decision to get and otherwise love them.

What was it about them that your found appeal with? Is it that they feel softer, look nicer, are snazzier, etc.? I'm not hear to judge you for getting things simply because/if you think they look nice--if that was your reason beyond all else.

For me, if both seats were offered with no price differential...and maybe this is born if ignorance never knowing from better, I'd opt for the cloth--which I did with mine (especially in light of the price difference.) I think they're better in extremes of temperature.

Sure, in a more classical luxury sedan or SUV where climate control is always on, and there's apt to be some remote engine start, I suspect these temperature differences are not an issue, and leather seats are sort of "part in parcel" with the ownership experience--not that FCA hasn't taken major steps to make our interior comfort far more feature rich on the JL than the JK.

Thanks.
Easier to clean...Harder to stain (spilled drink for example... I know what you were thinking)... and they don’t soak up water like a sponge like the cloth if caught in the rain...

Just my thoughts...

Sponsored

jaben

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I factory ordered and did not get leather. Dogs, camping, fishing and feel. Leather was in every one at the dealership and they couldn’t understand me not wanting it.
Scotch Guard on cloth for easier cleaning and I also don’t like leather in the sun with or without a shirt and top off.
My two cents.

Ed Teach

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Moab
Occupation
Retired LEO
I rock the leather seats for a few reasons. First and most important, I have two kids under the age of 10, and they spill everything! Like most kids do. So, cleanup and stains are not an issue. Just wipe those bad boys down and seats are good as new. The other issue with spills, is smell. You don't have liquid soaking into the fabric and making your jeep smell like hot *** all summer. Another is sand/dirt. I take my Jeep to the beach. Its much easier to vacuum leather and get the sand out for me that with cloth.

RikFlairWoo

First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 TJ Sahara
I feel like cloth is so hit or miss when you look at wear & tear in the long run.

Sometimes cloth holds up well and looks good (90s-early 2000s suburbans etc), other times it looks like the cheapest, nastiest surface after a few years. I hope the JL cloth holds up well, it seems like its a hybrid material that will wear well, but time will tell.

I personally like leather and being able to hop in with a wet swimsuit and a towel over the seat and not worry about absorption etc. And when it gets worn out it looks like a nice broken in pair of shoes or baseball mitt

Bmcconnell85

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am in the easier to clean and more durable camp as well. I also put the top up every time I park though as nothing sucks more than a scalding hot leather seat when you hop in the Jeep. I also always keep a moving blanket in the back due to its many uses. If I park somewhere with the doors off and the sun is right on the seat I will throw the blanket over it to keep the temp levels below scorching.

Quetzal

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Teacher
Looks better, feels nicer and is easy to clean. Cloth absorbs everything, sweat, spills and looks worse over time.

Sponsored

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Leather seat lovers....I'm not in your camp but I completely respect your decision to get and otherwise love them.

What was it about them that your found appeal with? Is it that they feel softer, look nicer, are snazzier, etc.? I'm not hear to judge you for getting things simply because/if you think they look nice--if that was your reason beyond all else.

For me, if both seats were offered with no price differential...and maybe this is born if ignorance never knowing from better, I'd opt for the cloth--which I did with mine (especially in light of the price difference.) I think they're better in extremes of temperature.

Sure, in a more classical luxury sedan or SUV where climate control is always on, and there's apt to be some remote engine start, I suspect these temperature differences are not an issue, and leather seats are sort of "part in parcel" with the ownership experience--not that FCA hasn't taken major steps to make our interior comfort far more feature rich on the JL than the JK.

Thanks.
I like leather for 3 reasons:
1. I like the feel of it
2. I like the look of it
3. And contrary to most other people, I think it is cooler in the summer.
Also if I may add another note: Lighter color leather is better than the dark leather. The lighter color does not get as hot as the darker leather for obvious reasons. IMHO

KELove

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
Occupation
Retired

Thanks.
I like the leather because of easy clean ups and the interior of my Sahara is much nicer. Leather dash etc. ...

Ike582

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Granite Crystal

Thanks.
Dogs and kids. Game changer.

jdegrave

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte, Pathfinder, JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Director Financial Systems Support & Governance
I’ve owned both cloth and leather seats and in my personal experience the leather consistently wore better and was far easier to clean. I will admit living in Florida the leather gets super hot with the top down (cloth would be better in that respect) but I’ll never go back to cloth...

OP
OP

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I’ve owned both cloth and leather seats and in my personal experience the leather consistently wore better and was far easier to clean. I will admit living in Florida the leather gets super hot with the top down (cloth would be better in that respect) but I’ll never go back to cloth...
I respect that. And hay, a leather seat is a mere towel placement away from comfort in extremes of weather need be. : - )
Sponsored