First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Jteakus: Thank you for your post. Excellent photos and description. I noticed you were using SAE 5w-30 oil instead of SAE 5w-40?
Sponsored

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Jteakus: Thank you for your post. Excellent photos and description. I noticed you were using SAE 5w-30 oil instead of SAE 5w-40?
I'm thinking the 5w-30 pictured is oil he uses in a different engine. He just had that 5w-30 close at hand and used it as an o-ring lube.

Either that or he is going to guinea pig an idea for us :idea:

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Need a catch pan. Before you unscrew filter housing drain water separator valve till no more diesel comes out
Excellent post and write up. I'm new to diesels, is this fuel you drain from the water catch or can you reuse the diesel you drain? I also don't know how much fuel you drain here so my question might see silly if it is a really small amount that is drained.

• Wow
Reactions: GtX

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Excellent post and write up. I'm new to diesels, is this fuel you drain from the water catch or can you reuse the diesel you drain? I also don't know how much fuel you drain here so my question might see silly if it is a really small amount that is drained.
Just a small amount needs to be drained till you only see diesel comes out. You might not see more than a few drops of water.

Here is an official Mopar video for the same. (Just for water removal)

Sponsored

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
This should be sticky'ed in the How to section! great write up!

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I think you are supposed to be able to but every time I tried I got aggravated and just pulled the skid/cover
Yep I keep a 1/4 inch drive with 10mm socket in the Jeep at all times. Just in case I get the water light I can easily pull the cover and drain anywhere.

OP
OP
Jteakus

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Very welcome

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
Is there something else to the fuel filter change required every other oil change? I'm curious if I'm missing something since the Olympia Jeep dealer (WA) is quoting $318.73 to "replace fuel filterS [emphasis added] and drain water from the fuel filter assembly." I just bought a filter for $50 and this doesn't appear to require $300 in labor. No other fuel filters that need replacing?

Sponsored

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Is there something else to the fuel filter change required every other oil change? I'm curious if I'm missing something since the Olympia Jeep dealer (WA) is quoting $318.73 to "replace fuel filterS [emphasis added] and drain water from the fuel filter assembly." I just bought a filter for $50 and this doesn't appear to require $300 in labor. No other fuel filters that need replacing?
From my understanding NO, it states in the manual to drain your water fuel filter separator every time you do an oil change, and to change the diesel fuel filter out every other oil change, however I’ve read online of people changing their fuel filter at every 10 K miles intervals or some people are saying 15 / 20 K not really sure but from what I’ve read since it’s only like a $ 50 part and it’s an easy do it yourself job and diesel fuel can be dirty I think it’s def worth changing sooner then let it go too long

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Maximum of a 30 minute job, which includes contemplating the task, actually doing it, and cleaning up afterwards. And...I'm, at best, a shade-tree mechanic. An hour of labor would be somewhat fair, but $300 sounds like two hours (maybe even three).

Last edited:

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Just the one. Every 15k

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Because of all the talk about the CP4, I am having it done every 10k just to be on the safe side. Also adding Hot Shots edt with every tank. Ounce of prevention.

BrickcityJeep

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 wrangler rubicon ecodiesel
this post saved me a ton of money! so thankful for the jeep community! my dealer quoted me $642.. its crazy what they try to get away with! anyways, thanks everyone!
Sponsored