Sponsored

"Water-in-Fuel": should I change fuel filter?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Until I came to my senses and changed fuel stations, I had two Water-in-Fuel incidents (1,000 miles apart) - both resolved by draining water via the fuel filter petcock. Subsequently I've run an 8oz dose of Hot Shot's Secret Extreme Diesel, and plan to use Hot Shot's Everyday Diesel Treatment going forward.

Question:
My Ecodiesel has less than 8,000 miles. Is there any reason to believe that my fuel filter has been compromised by the experiences? Should I change it out even though it is way early based on the maintenance schedule?
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yes and if I were you I would start running Howe's, Stanadyne, or Diesel Kleen to help with water control.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Anytime there's been water contamination in fuel you should change the fuel filter. Diesel engine fuel filters should be changed at oil changes. That's how the pros do it on big rigs and other diesel powered equipment.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Anytime there's been water contamination in fuel you should change the fuel filter. Diesel engine fuel filters should be changed at oil changes. That's how the pros do it on big rigs and other diesel powered equipment.
Makes sense, and seems like the safest course of action, but here is why I'm confused: The manufacturer must recognize the likelihood of getting water in the fuel at some point - hence the quick-drain petcock. If the protocol for water-in-fuel is to change the fuel filter, why have the petcock at all?

That said, I'm going to play it safe.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Makes sense, and seems like the safest course of action, but here is why I'm confused: The manufacturer must recognize the likelihood of getting water in the fuel at some point - hence the quick-drain petcock. If the protocol for water-in-fuel is to change the fuel filter, why have the petcock at all?

A lot of diesel engines I've worked on have a pet cocks on the filter or the housing its attached to. It's first purpose is to remove excess water in the filter during normal use between service cycles. It's a requirement as a pre trip check for commercial truck drivers. The second purpose is to drain the fuel out of the filter to make replacement less messy. Some filter arrangements place the filter in an upside down orientation where the filter is above the pet cock that is integral to the assembly the filter screws onto.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

The drain is mostly a preventative maintenance item. Drain a little every so often (once a month, every oil change, whatever). It lets you drain out the water that isn't enough to trigger an alarm.
Sponsored