Sponsored

Dumb Winch Question

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
LOL

yeah, because you've never heard of it happening, and because nobody has chimed in here in the 12 hours since this thread was created, it'll never happen.
You completely missed the point. The point was that it was too early to start heaving sighs and complaining about the state of the world over perceived threats rather than actual data.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Silly_Syko

Silly_Syko

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
US Navy
LOL

yeah, because you've never heard of it happening, and because nobody has chimed in here in the 12 hours since this thread was created, it'll never happen.
Have you or your friends ever have anyone mess with your rig then?

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
You completely missed the point. The point was that it was too early to start heaving sighs and complaining about the state of the world over perceived threats rather than actual data.
you misread; i did neither heave sighs, nor complain about the state of the world.
i may have just been paying attention longer than you have, and shared different experiences. that's what some of us are here for.

Have you or your friends ever have anyone mess with your rig then?
does something have to happen to you for you to believe it's possible?
some of us learn from watching the experiences of *other* people rather than have to go through them all ourselves.

but if you need a short simple answer, it's "Yes".

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

This is actually the reason I havenā€™t put a winch on my Jeep yet.

In the past, people would unspool my winch and hook it to flag poles, fences, or other cars depending on where it was parked. Luckily, I always noticed and could unhook and respool the winch easily, but what if someone went out to their car before me and tried to drive with my winch hooked to their axle? That would be a bad day.

I had a winch with a steel line at the time so nobody ever cut it, but this time around Iā€™m planning for synthetic and worry about these shenanigans or theft.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silly_Syko

Silly_Syko

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
US Navy
does something have to happen to you for you to believe it's possible?
some of us learn from watching the experiences of *other* people rather than have to go through them all ourselves.

but if you need a short simple answer, it's "Yes".
You are right and that is why I posed the question to ask other peoples experiences and if there was a solution I just hadn't known. But can you elaborate on your short answer more? I mean people get in car accidents everyday but that doesn't make me think I am going to die the next I hope in my Jeep. Not trying to sound rude or anything, I am new to the whole Jeep thing and winch part which is why I was just putting out the question.

OP
OP
Silly_Syko

Silly_Syko

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
US Navy
This is actually the reason I havenā€™t put a winch on my Jeep yet.

In the past, people would unspool my winch and hook it to flag poles, fences, or other cars depending on where it was parked. Luckily, I always noticed and could unhook and respool the winch easily, but what if someone went out to their car before me and tried to drive with my winch hooked to their axle? That would be a bad day.

I had a winch with a steel line at the time so nobody ever cut it, but this time around Iā€™m planning for synthetic and worry about these shenanigans or theft.
Please tell me this was done in college with a bunch of idiots that were well known... :facepalm:

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Please tell me this was done in college with a bunch of idiots that were well known... :facepalm:
Actually most of the time it was in a college town! But I have no idea who did it and I did not know some of the people whose cars I was hooked up to.

Honestly Iā€™ve never heard of this happening to anyone else, but the fact that it happened semi-regularly to me and then my Tacomaā€™s bed cover was sliced into maybe a month after moving to Dallas (in a very nice area) does not give me a ton of faith in people.

Realistically, we would both probably be fine. Iā€™m just not over the bed cover slicing yet.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I have a bartac cover on my winch and I think it makes it more problematic to just throw it into freespool to steal the hook. If your taking the cover off to do this then it's more than the opportunistic grab.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Silly_Syko

Silly_Syko

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
US Navy
Actually most of the time it was in a college town! But I have no idea who did it and I did not know some of the people whose cars I was hooked up to.

Honestly Iā€™ve never heard of this happening to anyone else, but the fact that it happened semi-regularly to me and then my Tacomaā€™s bed cover was sliced into maybe a month after moving to Dallas (in a very nice area) does not give me a ton of faith in people.

Realistically, we would both probably be fine. Iā€™m just not over the bed cover slicing yet.
Sounds more like someone had something against you, like you were with their ex that they still wanted back or you broke their baby sister's heart.

OP
OP
Silly_Syko

Silly_Syko

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
US Navy
If youā€™re that concerned about it, you could use a $30 hook instead of a $300 hook.
You are 100% right, I could always have the hook that came with the winch on it. I am not super concern but there is always the question in the back of my mind. I mean I have the same thought of someone stealing my spare off the back too but that doesn't stop me from going out with it on. You know? I have a keynut to at least to deter someone from stealing my wheels, I was just more curious if there was a solution like that for the winch. That is all.

I said earlier that when it is easy there is less reason for people not to. There is a saying I think of "keeping honest people honest".

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
i'm sorry i don't have anything to add that 's going to make you feel better.

i'm not aware of any solutions beyond what's been posted already.
i like the cover option (if it works for your configuration) as it protects the synthetic lines from the sun and will at least slow down the more honest people.

my experiences are similar to what was previously posted here; i've found people have spooled my line out and found my Ultrahook on the ground. fact is, people mess with other peoples stuff.

WRT odds; it's likely that the most dangerous thing most people do is drive. in spite of that, many choose to take that risk.
on one end of the scale, i've walked away from a head-on on the freeway (in a van that was built without seat-belts!) because of a drunk that was speeding when he crossed the center-line; odds were not in my favor for that one. in spite of the fact that the odds are good i won't have to try that one again, i wear seatbelts.
but i wanted a winch on my rig, and have chosen to take the chance it'll be messed with in order to (hopefully) have one when it's needed.

You are right and that is why I posed the question to ask other peoples experiences and if there was a solution I just hadn't known. But can you elaborate on your short answer more? I mean people get in car accidents everyday but that doesn't make me think I am going to die the next I hope in my Jeep. Not trying to sound rude or anything, I am new to the whole Jeep thing and winch part which is why I was just putting out the question.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I run a thimble on my winch and spool it in tight to the bumper, have you ever tried to turn the handle under load? On every winch Iā€™ve ever used itā€™s nearly impossible to turn the handle under any load.

OP
OP
Silly_Syko

Silly_Syko

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Occupation
US Navy
i'm sorry i don't have anything to add that 's going to make you feel better.

i'm not aware of any solutions beyond what's been posted already.
i like the cover option (if it works for your configuration) as it protects the synthetic lines from the sun and will at least slow down the more honest people.

my experiences are similar to what was previously posted here; i've found people have spooled my line out and found my Ultrahook on the ground. fact is, people mess with other peoples stuff.

WRT odds; it's likely that the most dangerous thing most people do is drive. in spite of that, many choose to take that risk.
on one end of the scale, i've walked away from a head-on on the freeway (in a van that was built without seat-belts!) because of a drunk that was speeding when he crossed the center-line; odds were not in my favor for that one. in spite of the fact that the odds are good i won't have to try that one again, i wear seatbelts.
but i wanted a winch on my rig, and have chosen to take the chance it'll be messed with in order to (hopefully) have one when it's needed.
I don't need to feel better brother. I mean I am the one who made my own set up so really it is my fault if anything happens. I chose to get an expensive "jewelry" piece. I have always been in the mind set of buy it once and cry once. I've tried do to cheap mods or cheap items in general and in the end it is not worth it. I bought warn because it is a well known brand, I didn't get a Zeon because lets be honest, I am not going that hard. I bought a flat link because I wanted something that didn't have to be anchored to a d ring rattling with the possibility of coming off with driving. Factor 55 when pulled in tight it isn't going anywhere, and I could of did the cheaper flat link but if I was already spending a 160+ I might as well get the one I actually wanted.

I mean I bought the stealth plate because I think front plates are hideous on cars and wished I was in a state that didn't require them so I found the loophole around it. If my shit gets stolen or fucked with, I might send up doing one of those flip down plates that cover the hook or buying a anchor spot and keeping the nice stuff tucked in the cab until I am using it. But it would be my fault anyways, just like when I am riding my harley, there is nothing to stop anyone from going into my swing arm bag or just loading the bike on a trailer and riding off, I still drive it to work when the weather is good though every chance I get.

What happened with you int he van is fucked and people do dumb shit even when they don't have the intention of affecting others.

If we are being frank here, the original reason I made this thread was I didn't know if there was a way to remove and replace the clutch on a winch, I am still new to the Jeep world and I probably have 100 more questions in my head waiting to be posted.

The only way I am going to learn is either by doing stuff by myself or living victoriously through all of you. We are all here to learn, whether it is asking the questions or going through the forums and reading through what others have said.
Sponsored