Winch use question

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
just a quick one. If I am stuck and need my winch but my front bunper and winch are submerged, can I still plug the remote in or would the fact the connection point is submerged cause a short?
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Plug in before you go into bogs you may need to winch out of. Better safe than sorry, and keeps you a lot less messy. Keep the remote up high and dry, and the cable safely secured to the Jeep out of the way.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on which winch model/manufacturer as some are built with better seals and materials than others.

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Plug in before you go into bogs you may need to winch out of. Better safe than sorry, and keeps you a lot less messy. Keep the remote up high and dry, and the cable safely secured to the Jeep out of the way.
This!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A high quality connector should be sealed internally on both ends and should handle a wet connection. A Chinese winch might be a crap shoot. The Warn Platinum series is wireless.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I believe our winches have a low voltage controller and likely a low current signal that switches a relay internally. I don't think the working current of the winch shouldn't be going thru the controller on a good quality winch. So a short circuit in a wet connector is unlikely unless the fluid is contaminated with something making it more conductive.

Last edited:

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
A high quality connector should be sealed internally on both ends and should handle a wet connection. A Chinese winch might be a crap shoot. The Warn Platinum series is wireless.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I believe our winches have a low voltage controller and likely a low current signal that switches a relay internally. I don't think the working current of the winch shouldn't be going thru the controller on a good quality winch. So a short circuit in a wet connector is unlikely unless the fluid is contaminated with something making it more conductive.
Yes, the Zeon Platinum is wireless and most likely won't work when submerged. Warn makes a kit to relocate the antenna up higher to solve this problem. This is the main reason I went with the plain Zeon. I have the wireless dongle for it, but I can still plug in the cable. However, the Platinum does have a better motor and stronger gears.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
My understanding of the wireless radio wave limitation is that the more conductive the water, the more limiting it is in how far radio waves travel thru it. Sea water, creeks and streams with certain minerals and metals may limit the distance of the radio waves from the wireless remote.

OP
OP

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Thanks guys, I have a Warn VR8-S. I think I will go with the advice of pre-connecting the remote and storing it along with the hook in the cabin, just in case.

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
TSC sells wireless winch controllers that have the controller plug on the end, I had to switch leads for it to work on my 8724 but I never have to worry about plugging in a remote
Sponsored