Dream with me... 392 stick shift

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
Same generally positive results here...I've been driving a manual as my daily for years including the last 4 years in my 2013 Viper, with an amazing Tremec TR6060 six-speed transmission.

The 392 is responsive, paddles are fine and have their place. I wouldn't use them exclusively but if I want to hold a gear at higher revs around a corner it works fine. But too many gears to use it exclusively. Lag isn't as bad as reported.

The Jeep is currently sidelined waiting on a part, and even though I'm back in the Viper, I miss the 392 driving experience. Great sound, strong acceleration, immense traction off the line with 4wd, a lot of sleeper factor since it's just way faster than it should be.

Would I prefer a manual - yes, but not so much that I'd give it up. Honestly I'd get the Livernois 35 hp upgrade before swapping out the transmission.

Maybe we need a 392 lottery pool.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
Same generally positive results here...I've been driving a manual as my daily for years including the last 4 years in my 2013 Viper, with an amazing Tremec TR6060 six-speed transmission.

The 392 is responsive, paddles are fine and have their place. I wouldn't use them exclusively but if I want to hold a gear at higher revs around a corner it works fine. But too many gears to use it exclusively. Lag isn't as bad as reported.

The Jeep is currently sidelined waiting on a part, and even though I'm back in the Viper, I miss the 392 driving experience. Great sound, strong acceleration, immense traction off the line with 4wd, a lot of sleeper factor since it's just way faster than it should be.

Would I prefer a manual - yes, but not so much that I'd give it up. Honestly I'd get the Livernois 35 hp upgrade before swapping out the transmission.

Maybe we need a 392 lottery pool.
Thanks so much for the report. That is great to hear. I've been looking at the Livernois tune. Unfortunately CA just passed a law making tunes illegal, and I'm sure it voids the warranty. Is it easy to install and uninstall without a trace?

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The 392 shift points and abruptness change with how it is driven at the time of shift. When driving around slow and using very little throttle, shift points are slow, soft and keep the engine rpms low, around 1500. Full throttle shifts are quick and sure, shifting right close to redline. When using full throttle and upshifting with the paddles it is snap right now. I got no complaints.
Good to know. At 400mi I’m still nervous about high RPM-WOT experimenting, but it would be nice if it would hold the down shifted gears without using manual-paddles. If this is the biggest complaint I have were still at almost perfect 😊

Matanzas

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Using the off-road + button and a power braking technique gets me a good launch and then clicking through the gears with the paddles finishes things quickest.

However the value of a stick for me is with a sports car and a curvy road. Manually shifting in a jeep seems best suited to using the engine to slow you down or crawl.

I much prefer just stomping on the gas - I think the engine roars more in auto than when manually shifting.

el_guapo

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Viper, JLU 392
Thanks so much for the report. That is great to hear. I've been looking at the Livernois tune. Unfortunately CA just passed a law making tunes illegal, and I'm sure it voids the warranty. Is it easy to install and uninstall without a trace?
Not sure, thinking I'll wait until my mfg warranty expires and do more research

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
Good to know. At 400mi I’m still nervous about high RPM-WOT experimenting, but it would be nice if it would hold the down shifted gears without using manual-paddles. If this is the biggest complaint I have were still at almost perfect 😊
Yeah, I don't understand all the YouTube videos of guys getting into a 392 with less than 10 miles on the odometer and just holding the pedal to the floor until the speed limiter kicks in. I'll definitely be following the break in procedure.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
For off roading, I'll take an auto any and every day of the week. I could see a manual being fun for street driving.
When I get mine, any day now, I will answer all the questions. Offroad+ for street driving, launch control(it does exist), paddle shifting, etc. After 100 miles I will put the pedal to the metal.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Tunes aren't illegal in California. They just started actually enforcing the existing law that tunes have to be CARB certified. As far as I know, all Livernois tunes get CARB certified.

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
Tunes aren't illegal in California. They just started actually enforcing the existing law that tunes have to be CARB certified. As far as I know, all Livernois tunes get CARB certified.
That would be awesome if the jeep tune is Carb legal. I'm guessing it would still void the warranty, or does that depend on the dealer and the issue being addressed? Is it possible to easily add and remove the tune so that it's undetectable?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
That would be awesome if the jeep tune is Carb legal. I'm guessing it would still void the warranty, or does that depend on the dealer and the issue being addressed? Is it possible to easily add and remove the tune so that it's undetectable?
Yes, warranty would technically be voided. However you can probably buy a second PCM instead of having yours unlocked, allowing you to swap back to stock at any time.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP621162

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
For off roading, I'll take an auto any and every day of the week. I could see a manual being fun for street driving.
When I get mine, any day now, I will answer all the questions. Offroad+ for street driving, launch control(it does exist), paddle shifting, etc. After 100 miles I will put the pedal to the metal.
Offroading a manual can definitely get a little scary, but I'd guess it's still more fun than an auto, especially on smooth twisty sections between obstacles. Manuals are hard for me in crawling sections. Actually it's kind of a pain sometimes, but I like the extra challenge.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
FCA has neutered the 6MT probably due to emissions regulations. The rev hang is silly, on the Sport you really need a little bigger gears, the low end torque isn't enough for the gearing, ESS starts on a clutch press need a good two seconds before it'll generate a good amount of torque.

That being said, once it gets moving it is absolutely a blast to drive!!!!!
Sponsored