Sponsored

Dream with me... 392 stick shift

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
By the time my 392XR gets here I'll be 41 years old. I've never had an automatic transmission in a daily driver and I'm not very excited about it. I was hoping the 392 paddles wouldn't be like all the other useless ornamental paddle shifters on the market... but looks like they will be.

So I've been daydreaming about transmission options for the 392 once I win the lottery...

One thing I've heard of for auto transmissions is, "transmission tuning." I haven't googled it, but maybe a combination trans tune/tazer/ecu tune/etc could make the factory paddles more responsive and fun.
Second most obvious idea to me (after my lottery payout) is a tranny swap from another 392 vehicle. I found a few 6.4L dodges with factory manual transmissions, so that shouldn't require a lot of science and engineering to make work. Anyway, I'm really just daydreaming about options for when I can afford that level of custom fabrication on a $90K wrangler, and also wondering if anyone has thought about this.

The more I acquiesce to the idea of an auto, it seems to make sense for an adventure rig... Doesn't require 2 working arms, and 2 working legs to operate, wife, kids, others could easily drive it out of the mountains...
Just kills me to 'almost' have the jeep of my dreams.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Except they did build an LJ.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I just wish the auto had a sport mode like my GC. Higher rpm shift points, quicker shifts, and especially down shifts and holds the gear with a tap of the throttle. A lot of fun

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
I just wish the auto had a sport mode like my GC. Higher rpm shift points, quicker shifts, and especially down shifts and holds the gear with a tap of the throttle. A lot of fun
Sounds amazing, that's the kind of thing that I wonder about with software tuning of the engine, trans, ecu. Is something like that possible?

Sponsored

Love6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I agree with the OP. I am buying this knowing I may not like it because it’s an automatic, a manual would be amazing IMO…

Last edited:

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds amazing, that's the kind of thing that I wonder about with software tuning of the engine, trans, ecu. Is something like that possible?
Sure, the different modes adjust the trans, the front to rear power percentages, the exhaust, and the suspension

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
That sounds similar to what the Off-road + button does in the 392, have you tried driving it with that turned on yet?

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
That sounds similar to what the Off-road + button does in the 392, have you tried driving it with that turned on yet?
I haven't received the 392 yet. I did hear about the offroad plus setting having this effect. Is it okay to keep the offroad plus turned on all the time for dry pavement?
Also, is there any suspension component that the computer can control besides the sway bar disconnect? Meaning, can it adjust the suspension in any way for street use?

Last edited:

Sponsored

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
The 392 shift points and abruptness change with how it is driven at the time of shift. When driving around slow and using very little throttle, shift points are slow, soft and keep the engine rpms low, around 1500. Full throttle shifts are quick and sure, shifting right close to redline. When using full throttle and upshifting with the paddles it is snap right now. I got no complaints.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, I haven’t tried it. It was even reported ( livornois motorsports I think) that it even functions similar to launch control.

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
The 392 shift points and abruptness change with how it is driven at the time of shift. When driving around slow and using very little throttle, shift points are slow, soft and keep the engine rpms low, around 1500. Full throttle shifts are quick and sure, shifting right close to redline. When using full throttle and upshifting with the paddles it is snap right now. I got no complaints.
That is very interesting and encouraging to hear, thanks!
Sponsored