Dream with me... 392 stick shift

OP
OP

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
FCA has neutered the 6MT probably due to emissions regulations. The rev hang is silly, on the Sport you really need a little bigger gears, the low end torque isn't enough for the gearing, ESS starts on a clutch press need a good two seconds before it'll generate a good amount of torque.

That being said, once it gets moving it is absolutely a blast to drive!!!!!
Seriously, what is with the Rev hang? It's one of my least favorite things about my JL.
Sponsored

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Seriously, what is with the Rev hang? It's one of my least favorite things about my JL.
They're burning off excess fuel in the intake manifold to improve emissions.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
By the time my 392XR gets here I'll be 41 years old. I've never had an automatic transmission in a daily driver and I'm not very excited about it. I was hoping the 392 paddles wouldn't be like all the other useless ornamental paddle shifters on the market... but looks like they will be.

So I've been daydreaming about transmission options for the 392 once I win the lottery...

One thing I've heard of for auto transmissions is, "transmission tuning." I haven't googled it, but maybe a combination trans tune/tazer/ecu tune/etc could make the factory paddles more responsive and fun.
Second most obvious idea to me (after my lottery payout) is a tranny swap from another 392 vehicle. I found a few 6.4L dodges with factory manual transmissions, so that shouldn't require a lot of science and engineering to make work. Anyway, I'm really just daydreaming about options for when I can afford that level of custom fabrication on a $90K wrangler, and also wondering if anyone has thought about this.

The more I acquiesce to the idea of an auto, it seems to make sense for an adventure rig... Doesn't require 2 working arms, and 2 working legs to operate, wife, kids, others could easily drive it out of the mountains...
Just kills me to 'almost' have the jeep of my dreams.
I looked for a long time before deciding on the 392. America’s most wanted 4 x 4 will install a manual transmission getrag 238. That is my dream also. I think I’m just gonna get used to the automatic which sounds like a pretty stout transmission on its own.

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
It would be interesting to hear the OP’s thoughts 1 year later.

I like rowing my own gears as much as the next guy…but sometimes it just doesn’t make sense, autos have gotten that good!
Sponsored