First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I don't see a need to sequence or torque more than 20 ft lbs if they are not being used as a bead lock.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just out of curiosity, I downloaded the install instructions for my AEV Borah wheels. They are a similar design. It doesn't list Anti-Seize unless you are using true bead lock rings and beadlocking the tires. On the trim rings, they don't list anti-seize. Max torque on trim ring bolts is 20ftlbs and 24ftlbs on bead locks.

I'm only running rash/trim rings, but still hit each bolt with anti-seize. Haven't had any issues with them loosening or being able to remove them.

https://www.aev-conversions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/DualSport_Wheel_AEV30302AB.pdf

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Not true. DOT approval is not the same as "legal".
Are you kidding me Dave? Are you just arguing to be funny?

If you are caught driving a MOPAR beadlock wheel assembled in the "off road" configuration you are subject to a ticket or impound of vehicle. If you are involved in a collision you are subject to much worse. They are neither DOT compliant or legal for use on US public highways.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Are you kidding me Dave? Are you just arguing to be funny?

If you are caught driving a MOPAR beadlock wheel assembled in the "off road" configuration you are subject to a ticket or impound of vehicle. If you are involved in a collision you are subject to much worse. They are neither DOT compliant or legal for use on US public highways.
Show me a ticket for beadlocks. One with impound would be awesome. Also, did you know the fun fact that states don't all have the same traffic laws regarding many things, including equipment?

Guess what? 5% tint is illegal. I am telling the truth, with the exception of it IS legal in places.

Sponsored

Sublime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella Rubicon
Hi all,

I'm going to share my experience. I hope others have had better luck, but for me the MOPAR beadlocks have ended in disaster. There are 25 bolts per wheel holding the ring on, and about 70% of them have seized. When trying to remove them, the heads just break off (See photos). The amount of labor it would take or fix my wheels would be more than buying a whole new set. My new set (KMC Machete Crawl) is coming to around $3000 making this a rather expensive avoidable mistake.

I opened a case with Stellantis, and the dealer who looked at the problem (not the dealer who installed them) said in no unambiguous terms that they were installed incorrectly by the other Jeep dealer. Likely no anti-seize. The case stayed open for almost 4 weeks while Stellantis, the dealer who diagnosed the problem, and the dealer who installed the beadlocks in the first place when back and forth. While it seemed promising at first and the communication indicated they accepted responsibility, by the time it went up the corporate ladder and came back down they decided it was "Not a problem caused by installation".

No one outside of the Jeep dealer in question ever touched those wheels. So it's either a problem with the product, or a mistake made by the technician who installed it. Either way, they're responsible but they're still not doing anything about it.

I'd recommend to anyone who is thinking about buying and having these installed by a Jeep dealership to not do it. I'd recommend to anyone who already has these, check to make sure they were installed properly before it's too late and they seize up. Better to go to a reputable off-road shop, and even better yet get non-MOPAR beadlocks. If you are thinking (like I did) that buying MOPAR is the 'safe' bet and that you will have the backing of FCA/Stellantis you will find that's not the case.

PXL_20211108_155623659.jpg

PXL_20211108_155646245.jpg
C'mon, this is in WI according to your profile. Those bolts didn't stand a chance no matter what wheel you had. Dissimilar metals and road de-icer are going to play havoc if not prepared properly.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Show me a ticket for beadlocks. One with impound would be awesome. Also, did you know the fun fact that states don't all have the same traffic laws regarding many things, including equipment?

Guess what? 5% tint is illegal. I am telling the truth, with the exception of it IS legal in places.
Ok we are done here. I can see you just want to argue your point and win. So there you win. Lets give this thread a rest on that point. :like:

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It is generally considered to leave the wheel bolts dry. Threadlocker makes them difficult to remove and anti-seize may make them loosen on their own.
oh shit...

brb

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I have these and installed the rings with anti-seize, none have backed out yet. Had them about a year and they look just like they did on install. I had a 2013 Raptor that had Ford's equivalent beauty-ring beadlocks and the screws had noticeable rust within a year. Also this is GA where there is zero salt on the road.

Last edited:

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Not true. DOT approval is not the same as "legal".
If you are using the beadlock as an actual beadlock they are not allowed for highway use. As far as anti-seize goes. I used it on my KMC Beadlocks. My theory is if you are someone that uses them strictly for off-road use, and change them a lot then it's not needed. For me that will drive on these tires for 2 plus years it is needed. Unless I have to break one down because of a nail or something I won't ever take the rings off. I do check the torque every 3 months, and visually inspect every few weeks.

Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Dissimilar metals, salty winter roads, no anti seize.
Yes. OP is from WI - where I recall roads are salted like 8 months per year - it's hell on everything, especially aluminum. Not the wheel's fault, it's simple physics. Absolutely - plated hardware and anti-seize - and even that will have limited efficacy if you drive enough on those salted roads. I recommend moving - it's what I did.

OP
OP
Anthimus

Anthimus

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
C'mon, this is in WI according to your profile. Those bolts didn't stand a chance no matter what wheel you had. Dissimilar metals and road de-icer are going to play havoc if not prepared properly.
Oh absolutely. I am sure that contributed greatly. My main gripe is the marketing was "Buy everything MOPAR and have it installed at a dealer and we've got you covered".

I did exactly that and I only went to the dealer for maintenance (Including inspections and recommendations). That didn't work out so well for me.

So I guess the lesson is either do the research and know how to maintain it yourself, or make sure whoever you outsource it to really knows what they're doing. Learn from my mistake because it's an expensive one.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
except that i'd rather rash one of those trim rings against a rock than a fully painted rim. i'd say that's more than "no benefit".

@OllieChristopher
can anyone actually provide a link to the Vehicle Code that applies to beadlocks being illegal?
i hear "they're illegal" parroted often, but here in California, i've searched the Code and i couldn't find anything that related to that at all.

Agreed. That overwhelmingly vast majority of people who buy these, buy them for looks only. You get no benefit from that. The less fasteners, holes, etc, the better.

Last edited:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
except that i'd rather rash one of those trim rings against a rock than a fully painted rim. i'd say that's more than "no benefit".

can anyone actually provide a link to the Vehicle Code that applies to beadlocks being illegal?
i hear "they're illegal" parroted often, but here in California, i've searched the Code and i couldn't find anything that related to that at all.
Everything I've read say they violate SAE J2530, but I can't find that free online anywhere, so I don't know what it actually says. You have to purchase it for $85 to actually read it. SAE findings provide technical standards and recommended practices for certain aspects of automotive design, but they aren't laws. However, no company is going to sell anything that violates an SAE standard because of liability issues, which is why they all say off-road use only. Also prevents them from being DOT approved. Apparently some states make them illegal by having a law that says wheels can't violate SAE J2530, but I think the chances of actually getting a ticket for beadlocks are virtually non-existent.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
agreed; SAE J2530 is not the law; it's specifically the law i'm interested in. (and note that SAE J2530 changes every few years too, so like the law, we have to try to keep up with it.)

i see that "DOT Approved" term flung around too, but in spite of searching on it, i haven't been able to find anything from the DOT that relates to actual "approval" either; can anyone show me any evidence that the DOT actually "approves" wheels?

we've heard a lot about this, but like many things that turn out to be misunderstood or just outright myths, when it comes to the law, i find when i dig, i find that sometimes we're simply misled. i'd like to know the facts.

Everything I've read say they violate SAE J2530, but you can't find that free online anywhere, so I don't know what it actually says. You have to purchase it for $85 to actually read it. SAE findings provide technical standards and recommended practices for certain aspects of automotive design, but they aren't laws. However, no company is going to sell anything that violates an SAE standard because of liability issues, which is why they all say off-road use only. Also prevents them from being DOT approved. Apparently some states make them illegal by having a law that says wheels can't violate SAE J2530, but I think the chances of actually getting a ticket for beadlocks are virtually non-existent.
Sponsored