Anthimus

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi all,

I'm going to share my experience. I hope others have had better luck, but for me the MOPAR beadlocks have ended in disaster. There are 25 bolts per wheel holding the ring on, and about 70% of them have seized. When trying to remove them, the heads just break off (See photos). The amount of labor it would take or fix my wheels would be more than buying a whole new set. My new set (KMC Machete Crawl) is coming to around $3000 making this a rather expensive avoidable mistake.

I opened a case with Stellantis, and the dealer who looked at the problem (not the dealer who installed them) said in no unambiguous terms that they were installed incorrectly by the other Jeep dealer. Likely no anti-seize. The case stayed open for almost 4 weeks while Stellantis, the dealer who diagnosed the problem, and the dealer who installed the beadlocks in the first place when back and forth. While it seemed promising at first and the communication indicated they accepted responsibility, by the time it went up the corporate ladder and came back down they decided it was "Not a problem caused by installation".

No one outside of the Jeep dealer in question ever touched those wheels. So it's either a problem with the product, or a mistake made by the technician who installed it. Either way, they're responsible but they're still not doing anything about it.

I'd recommend to anyone who is thinking about buying and having these installed by a Jeep dealership to not do it. I'd recommend to anyone who already has these, check to make sure they were installed properly before it's too late and they seize up. Better to go to a reputable off-road shop, and even better yet get non-MOPAR beadlocks. If you are thinking (like I did) that buying MOPAR is the 'safe' bet and that you will have the backing of FCA/Stellantis you will find that's not the case.

PXL_20211108_155623659.jpg

PXL_20211108_155646245.jpg
Sponsored

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Let them soak with PB Blaster for at least 24hrs and then use a set of channel locks to grab the bolt and twist out. Sucks that the bolts are no good and will need replacement, but I wouldnā€™t bail on those wheels just yet.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If there's no anti-seize on the bolts, its an improper install. Should be easy to tell from a bolt that came out. That shit goes everywhere. I'd not ding mopar or the wheels on this, but the tech that did the work and the dealer not taking care of the screw up.

Ya, I'd be pissed too.

Mopar wheels are Chinese just like all the other cast wheels.

OP
OP
Anthimus

Anthimus

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Let them soak with PB Blaster for at least 24hrs and then use a set of channel locks to grab the bolt and twist out. Sucks that the bolts are no good and will need replacement, but I wouldnā€™t bail on those wheels just yet.
I appreciate the tip. I'll give it a try to salvage them someday, but I already ordered new ones. Also worth nothing, a couple shops have taken a look at them already. They're really seized pretty badly. Probably easiest to drill them all out and retap, but any solution is a lot of man hours.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
That plus you might need some heat on them.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If there's no anti-seize on the bolts, its an improper install. Should be easy to tell from a bolt that came out. That shit goes everywhere. I'd not ding mopar or the wheels on this, but the tech that did the work and the dealer not taking care of the screw up.

Ya, I'd be pissed too.

Mopar wheels are Chinese just like all the other cast wheels.
I would not be shocked if the dealership used locktite on those bolts.....

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Another option would be to set a nut over the remaining bolt and weld the nut to the remaining bolt. After soaking with a penetrating oil of course. Thatā€™d provide the heat needed to break them free and you can then use a normal socket wrench to back them out. The last thing Iā€™d do is drill and tap.

OP
OP
Anthimus

Anthimus

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That plus you might need some heat on them.
Tried that one already, but not in combination with PB Blaster. When I get these to a garage (I live on the road), I'll try doing these together and see if it works. Just frustrating, especially since my circumstances don't allow me regular access to a garage and tools to work on them. Nor can I be without my vehicle or any extended period of time.

DesertsJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Tried that one already, but not in combination with PB Blaster. When I get these to a garage (I live on the road), I'll try doing these together and see if it works. Just frustrating, especially since my circumstances don't allow me regular access to a garage and tools to work on them. Nor can I be without my vehicle or any extended period of time.
Youā€™d be surprised what PB (or any other quality penetrating oil) and patience can do to seized parts. Just donā€™t try to rush it.

Also, as Oceanblue said, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the dealer used loctite either. Adding heat will break the loctite down.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed mine I didn't see anywhere that you needed to use anti seize on the over 100 bolts. Did I miss something in the instructions? I'll have to pull the instructions back out and check.

What I do remember is a specific torque value which I adhered to on every single bolt. Even followed the pattern meticulously so I'm hoping they come back out when I need to remove them (necessary with a tire change).

With all of the mopar beadlocks they sell,, it sounds like it might be an anomaly or the installer over torqued them.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Dissimilar metals, salty winter roads, no anti seize. Make sure that your new bolts are zinc plated and that you ise anti seize. Put them in yourself. Itā€™s easy and they donā€™t need more than about 20 Ft Lbs. if they are just for show.

This is a perfect example of why a simple wheel with no fake/decorative bolts are better, especially in areas with enough snow that the roads are salted or chemically treated.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would buy them off you if I was local, just to fix them suckers!

I am also new to bead lock wheels and didn't know that bead-locks required anti seize on the ring bolts...

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired
Is there a recommended, reputable-manufactured set of forged rings, or rims and rings?