Mopar Beadlocks painting

Bun707

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Looking good! This is great timing as my wheels (Mopar Simulated Beadlocks) came today and will be getting the Mopar touch up Mojito paint cans Thursday. 4 paint cans and 2 clear coats. I don't yet have a primer spray though. What's a good choice? The paint is lacquer I believe. Is a self etching automotive primer best?

Did you sand after applying the primer coats? I saw some people recommended 1000 grit at that point.

OP
OP
Kripas

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Looking good! This is great timing as my wheels (Mopar Simulated Beadlocks) came today and will be getting the Mopar touch up Mojito paint cans Thursday. 4 paint cans and 2 clear coats. I don't yet have a primer spray though. What's a good choice? The paint is lacquer I believe. Is a self etching automotive primer best?

Did you sand after applying the primer coats? I saw some people recommended 1000 grit at that point.
I used the citrus paint stripper but get a better one then used steel brush and sanded what ever left, Then used this primer

67EFC3B0-31B2-49FE-9FB7-6E787E656309.jpeg

Bun707

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Kripas how long did it take for your paint to fully cure? I did mine over the weekend and after 48 hours the paint is still a little bit tacky/soft and I can scratch it with my fingernail. I'm getting a concerned this isn't going to hold up.

I used DupliColor Automotive primer and the Mopar clear coat which is a little different than what you have. I did not use a paint stripper but I did sand to degloss and create some scratches for the primer to bite into. I also pre cleaned with a Degreaser and then used isopropyl alcohol to finish it off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kripas

Kripas

First Name
Kripas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
Yea its not good idea to paint over from old paint, maybe wait for 5 days for primer to fully cured? Before applying the base coat and clear coat

Sponsored

demisx

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Clubs

I've followed the OP's method (minus paint stripper) and the rings came out better than expected. They do match the original black pretty good. I've used Plastidip, though, not the actual paint for the final coat. I've chosen not to powder coat, so I can easily touch it up whenever needed. No need to prep/paint the back of the ring as it's not visible once installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Beadlocks painting IMG_1782

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Beadlocks painting IMG_1787

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Beadlocks painting IMG_1791

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Beadlocks painting IMG_1792

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar Beadlocks painting IMG_1793

Last edited:

Bun707

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll report back now after almost 6 months that using Mopar touchup paint and the clear coat has held up really well. I've got one or two small scratches from the trail, but hitting it with a quick spray worked fine. That paint took FOREVER to fully cure though. I waited 2-3 weeks before putting the rings back on. In the meantime, I could scratch it off with my finger nails.

So, don't worry if you prefer not to powder coat, paint holds up fine!
Sponsored