Don't buy MOPAR Beadlocks

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Corvette Z06
Well. I'll be damned. Nothing in the instructions about antiseize. I take back what I said. These are shit or atleast the instructions are.

http://starparts.chrysler.com/info/default/K6862505.pdf
Thank you for the instruction sheet...antiseize is not called for so I'm joining the threadlocker crowd...the wheel/bolt looked really old and corroded too...add all that together and boom, bolt breaking party.
Sponsored

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! those pics of the bolt/wheel show a lot of corrosion. Looks like a case of the OP not knowing the limitations of specialized off-road equipment and letting it go unmaintained. You just can't expect a steel bolt in an aluminum wheel to not need periodic removal, cleaning and corrosion protection. And that periodic maintenance would need to be done a lot more often on wet and salty roads. Those of us in the dry southwest can get away with much less maintenance on something like this.

And forget the idea of using stainless steel bolts in aluminum. That's what's called a battery. LOL

I don't like to use loctite in aluminum, especially cast aluminum. I like something to prevent galling the threads. The anti-seize stuff works for me.

This corrosion issue reminded me of something I saw on gun oils a few years ago. I ended up getting some Hornady One Shot for my guns after reading this. Comprehensive Corrosion Test: 46 Products Compared | Day At The Range
Yikes, that fellow did quite the comprehensive test...Hornady looked good, how about that Frog Lube stuff? Living in the Southwest Desert means I don't get much rust but still, the results speak.

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The instructions for the AEV beadlock wheels that Bryce uploaded did call for anti seize when installing the beadlock rings.

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
The instructions for the AEV beadlock wheels that Bryce uploaded did call for anti seize when installing the beadlock rings.

AEV only suggests using anti-seize on the (functional) Beadlock rings, not the protective trim rings. Specifically: "On the trim rings, they don't list anti-seize."
*It appeared that the op had the trim rings installed by a dealer, so I believe he was referring to the protective trim rings rather than the functional beadlock rings.

MOPAR doesn't call for it at all, and most info out there does not recommend using anti-seize or loctite on wheel assemblies.

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yikes, that fellow did quite the comprehensive test...Hornady looked good, how about that Frog Lube stuff? Living in the Southwest Desert means I don't get much rust but still, the results speak.
I was hashing the lube test around on a gun forum and had about decided to get the Froglube. But a forum member mentioned he had the stuff go rancid. Apparently it's a vegetable based oil? That's how I ended up with the Hornady One Shot.

Sponsored

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was hashing the lube test around on a gun forum and had about decided to get the Froglube. But a forum member mentioned he had the stuff go rancid. Apparently it's a vegetable based oil? That's how I ended up with the Hornady One Shot.
Thank you for the info...I keep the stuff around forever so looks like the Hornady would be the best for me. Good tip!

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did some research on bead locks and the Federal DOT...seems like DOT releases the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) that all vehicle manufacturers must comply with and in that huge multi-sourced manual of thousands of pages the DOT essentially (brief and condensed) defines pneumatic tires as using air to hold the tire to the rim...these are the only tires approved for full time highway use...non-pneumatic tires that do not use air to hold the tire to the rim (now used for temporary spares on some vehicles) are only approved for temporary use such as for a spare tire (note that vehicle owner's manuals for vehicles with temporary spares most likely allow use only for a short distance at a not to exceed speed)...thusly, the concept of bead lock being "legal" or "illegal" has nothing to do with the tire or wheel but how the tire is mounted to the bead, simply put, a bead lock mounted tire does not use air to hold the tire to the bead and is thusly not approved by DOT for highway use...which only means at this time that there is a lawyer attached to that bead lock mounted tire and if that thing fails on your vehicle while hauling down the highway and lives are lost, the lawyer will collect a lot of money from you...I have never seen DOT policia hanging out behind billboards looking for bead lock mounted tires...that being said, if you are rolling down the freeway in CA at 80 mph and get stopped by CHP, that officer can add to the speeding citation for unsafe motor vehicle, 24002 CVC (CA vehicle code) if you are on a non-pneumatic temporary spare tire...then it would be up to the judge to rule after hearing the evidence presented by the officer in court...after all that, driving a car with a non-pneumatic temporary spare tire is pretty easy to spot...a bead lock mounted tire, not so much. (full disclosure: in March I retired from the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department after 16 years and several hundred traffic citations-never for a bead lock mounted tire)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I haven't heard or read a story about someone getting cited for beadlocks. But, it would seem to be a fix-it ticket. Anyone?

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I read somewhere (maybe Pirates forum...???) a while back that officers in Moab were citing vehicles with beadlocks. I'll see if I can find that thread....

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I read somewhere (maybe Pirates forum...???) a while back that officers in Moab were citing vehicles with beadlocks. I'll see if I can find that thread....
That would really be shicken chit. Kinda like if the cops at Sturgis started writing tickets for loud motorcycle exhaust. I wonder how the mayor would feel if all the jeepers found a new place? All the business that off-roading brings that town would be gone and residents could go back on food stamps.

Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
That would really be shicken chit. Kinda like if the cops at Sturgis started writing tickets for loud motorcycle exhaust. I wonder how the mayor would feel if all the jeepers found a new place? All the business that off-roading brings that town would be gone and residents could go back on food stamps.
I agree, but the money that is moving into Moab has the ability to change things. They have the time to go to city council meetings and the money to pay lawyers to remove the "dirty off-road people that leave trash everywhere and tear up the town."

DontCallMeRubi

First Name
DR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, but the money that is moving into Moab has the ability to change things. They have the time to go to city council meetings and the money to pay lawyers to remove the "dirty off-road people that leave trash everywhere and tear up the town."
Looked up the Utah Vehicle Code and Section 41-6a-1636(7)(a)says that a driver can be cited for operating a vehicle if any tire is in an unsafe condition.

There you go, if the Moab LEO decides bead lock mounted tires are " in an unsafe condition" because they are not approved by DOT, boom, citation issued.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
It' easy to villify the wealthy moving into an area. But more likely, complaints come from people that were in an area for a long time, don't benefit from the influx of tourism, and don't like the change.

Wealthy people don't move to someplace that has activities or other things they don't like. Trust me, they don't have to, nor want to, move to a place that's a problem and then try to fix it. Wealthy people do their homework on where to buy a vacation/retirement home because they have many options, unlike people seeking opportunities for income.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Uh... they do it all the time. People like the forest town they drove through, build a $500k cabin then realize people shoot in the forest. They don't feel safe and start filing complaints and petitions.
Got it. I wish you prosperity.
Sponsored

Last edited: