Does your jeep do THIS in park?

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
So I notice when my 2019 JLUR is in park , the a/c compressor turns on cause the air gets real cold. The a/c light is still off and in climate control settings it shows off still. I do not have it set to auto either. Any one else have the ac compressor turning on when in park?

As soon as I shift into drive it goes back to just vent mode. Again, no lights coming on to show the a/c on, but clearly it is.
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Yes, my JLUR does it too. My '12 JKUR also did it when in park even though the AC wasn't on. I don't really know why.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
My 2018 SAHARA JLU, doesn't doit--

My 2018 JLR- doesn't doit

My 2008 JKUR didn't doit--

Must be your "setting"---

W.E.

JIMBO-

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
So I notice when my 2019 JLUR is in park , the a/c compressor turns on cause the air gets real cold. The a/c light is still off and in climate control settings it shows off still. I do not have it set to auto either. Any one else have the ac compressor turning on when in park?

As soon as I shift into drive it goes back to just vent mode. Again, no lights coming on to show the a/c on, but clearly it is.
Any updates here? I have the same problem.

OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Any updates here? I have the same problem.
Nope, still does it. Dealer said they couldn't replicate problem. Such garbage! It never DOESNT do it. So it's such a pain to take it in, I just deal with it for now. I also have issues with the temp control not making any difference until I go all the way up or all the way down before the middle temps make a difference. With AC it's ice cold from Lo to about 78 or 80 before it will go less cool. With heat, it's max hot until i reach Low, then it will incrementally go up. A pain. Next time something else goes wrong like another visor breaking (twice mine have broke at the hinge point/mount) ill bring it up again.

One thing I know is it's more apt (the park thing) to happen after engine warm up, so I need to show the service adviser when I arrive. Otherwise on a cold start, I don't think it's happening right away

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Mine has does something similar for a second or two when going from drive to park. I figured it was to help keep air conditioning seals and parts healthy. It only seems to do it when I haven't run the A/C for a while. Otherwise I have no issues with heating or cooling.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
Mine has does something similar for a second or two when going from drive to park. I figured it was to help keep air conditioning seals and parts healthy. It only seems to do it when I haven't run the A/C for a while. Otherwise I have no issues with heating or cooling.
I just took my new JLUR in for this problem (the original post). The tech said he had never heard of it before but at least he saw it happening. He had to talk to the “tech assist team”. I keep thinking would the tech dumbness or the problem itself happen with a Lexus?

OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I just took my new JLUR in for this problem (the original post). The tech said he had never heard of it before but at least he saw it happening. He had to talk to the “tech assist team”. I keep thinking would the tech dumbness or the problem itself happen with a Lexus?
Keep me posted if they figure out what causes it and if there is a fix.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anyone ever find a solution/cause? My 2018 JLUR has started doing this recently as well. Any insights would be appreciated. Oh...and my warranty ran out a month ago. Otherwise I would take this in and make the dealer figure it out.

@sixspeed - Did your dealer find the issue?

OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
Sorry to revive an old thread, but did anyone ever find a solution/cause? My 2018 JLUR has started doing this recently as well. Any insights would be appreciated. Oh...and my warranty ran out a month ago. Otherwise I would take this in and make the dealer figure it out.

@sixspeed - Did your dealer find the issue?
Unable to replicate, which is ridiculous since it does it every time

Sponsored

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
It was determined by my dealer (and he’s right) that the A/C comes on when the vent fan is 4 or higher but not 1, 2 or 3. They, of course, could not figure it out or fix it. I haven’t bothered with it since. It rarely is in an issue but is a pain when it happens since I like the vent fan at 4. Plus, given some of the horror stories you hear about on this forum, it is a little thing.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
It was determined by my dealer (and he’s right) that the A/C comes on when the vent fan is 4 or higher but not 1, 2 or 3. They, of course, could not figure it out or fix it.
I had a similar issue with the HVAC control panel on my Ridgeline; the culprit was a fan speed control knob with a mind of its own.

The panel was replaced under warranty, and proper operation was restored. Like our JLs, the Honda's consolidated HVAC panel can simply be pried off and unplugged.

kheidolph

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
@Upnarms , @sixspeed , and @Heimkehr

Thanks for the quick response. I had a feeling that Jeep would "dodge" the problem and not have a solution. For all we know, it could be a design feature...but I doubt that. I'll do some more testing on my side to see if I can replicate it in other vehicles. I did notice the fan 4 setting, but thought it might have been a fluke. If I learn anything new, I will post it. But sounds like this is going to be a dead issue.

Goods news (as has been pointed out), this is a pretty small issue in the grand scheme of the other problems people are dealing with.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Upnarms

Upnarms

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I'll have to check out the fan speed 4 thing. The most annoying part is my a/c temp stays ice cold unless i go all the way to high temp then back it down. Same with heat, it's blowing fire unless I take it all the way to cold then raise it up. I miss the old temp knob like my TJ. Very finicky climate control. Im in AZ though so most of the summer I want the ac super cold and doesn't budge from that setting

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
It was determined by my dealer (and he’s right) that the A/C comes on when the vent fan is 4 or higher but not 1, 2 or 3. They, of course, could not figure it out or fix it.
I've been experiencing the same problem this summer as well, but can not verify the fan speed 4 thing, as it is currently 40-some degrees outside. I'll report back when I know something.

....given some of the horror stories you hear about on this forum, it is a little thing.
Agreed-- It is a small thing, but given the sheer volume of "small things" we have to deal with, it certainly does not encourage a feeling of trust.
Sponsored