Sponsored

Do not ASSume your trade value will be reasonable

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I just got back from the dealer. My deal was 4% below, no fees. That is on par with Koons. All that was left was trade.

DO NOT ASSUME YOU WILL GET A BOOK VALUE FOR TRADE.

Iron out your trade before you make your order.

The dealer I met with gave me over $10k less than NADA and KBB. Needless to say, I would rather keep my 2017 F250 Diesel 4x4 Crew than trade for $35k.
Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's why I am selling mine privately.

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm gonna rush to pay off my Escape or get it way down before I order my Jeep. Maybe you could try selling it to Carmax, or if you wait until the all of the year end Ford sales are over maybe it'll be more valuable to them. There's crazy discounts on F250s right now.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
I just got back from the dealer. My deal was 4% below, no fees. That is on par with Koons. All that was left was trade.

DO NOT ASSUME YOU WILL GET A BOOK VALUE FOR TRADE.

Iron out your trade before you make your order.

The dealer I met with gave me over $10k less than NADA and KBB. Needless to say, I would rather keep my 2017 F250 Diesel 4x4 Crew than trade for $35k.
What trim is your truck?

OP
OP
theplankeye

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Here at Texas, the only way to deduct the sold vehicle from the purchased vehicle taxes is trade. In Arkansas, you can sell private party and still deduct it. Normally, in Texas, it is a wash to trade or sell private party due to the deduction, so you might as well trade.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Axe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 1500, 2014 FJ Cruiser
The kicker is most dealerships have those bs "Find out what your trade is worth" calculators on their websites....you put your info in, you think "Hey, I'd be happy with that amount!", then you go to the dealer and they wont give you anywhere near that amount. Scum of the earth, every last one of em.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
I used the KBB.com trade-in calculator. I found out that regardless of the condition of the trade-in, dealers will usually only offer the very lowest value given by the calculator! The 'average' trade-in value was always the lowest amount, not the average given by the calculator. I don't know where Kelly Blue Book gets their stats.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
The kicker is most dealerships have those bs "Find out what your trade is worth" calculators on their websites....you put your info in, you think "Hey, I'd be happy with that amount!", then you go to the dealer and they wont give you anywhere near that amount. Scum of the earth, every last one of em.
I’m trading in my JK, my dealer gave me 4% below, no additional fees.... and an extremely solid trade in on my 4 year old JK with 65,000 miles....it’s actually astonishing how little it depreciated ( although same dealer gave me an awesome deal on it even I bought it 4yrs ago)

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
I’m trading in my JK, my dealer gave me 4% below, no additional fees.... and an extremely solid trade in on my 4 year old JK with 65,000 miles....it’s actually astonishing how little it depreciated ( although same dealer gave me an awesome deal on it even I bought it 4yrs ago)
I am getting a similar deal on my new JL and my dealer is also giving me an excellent trade in value on my 2015 JK Hard Rock...over 70% of MSRP (which I didn't pay) for a 3 year old Jeep. Hard to beat the how well JK Rubicon's hold their value compared to most other vehicles.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I used the KBB.com trade-in calculator. I found out that regardless of the condition of the trade-in, dealers will usually only offer the very lowest value given by the calculator! The 'average' trade-in value was always the lowest amount, not the average given by the calculator. I don't know where Kelly Blue Book gets their stats.
Not sure that this is at all useful for a JL, since they’re going to be in very high demand for a while, but...

When I decided to trade in my Raptor for a Yukon XL, I picked the dealer based on trade-in. You can’t call them or e-mail them, you have to go with your trade-in vehicle and your lowest acceptable amount in mind. “I’m going to buy a new car from whatever dealer will give me $X for my trade-in.” If they say no, just leave. (Maybe in the case of JL, don’t tell them that’s what you plan to buy?)

Another bit of advice - get an offer to buy from CarMax. They’re fairly competitive, and you can show their written offer to dealers that you visit.

I probably lost about $1,500 on my Raptor by not selling it privately, but I made that back in tax savings and time/aggravation. I got $2k more than CarMax offered, FWIW. The 1st dealer I visited offered me $13k LESS than I eventually accepted.

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar issue with a 2015 Ram 2500 Mega Cab(Lariat with a diesel, lift and 37s)
I tried trading it for a 2016 Wrangler, but the offers I recieved as trades were terrible. I ended up selling it to Texas Direct for $10k more than the CarMax offer and close to $4k more than any dealer was willing to offer me. Every dealer said they would match the Texas Direct offer, but when sitting at the table they all backed out or tried to play me on the tax savings.
At the end of the day I actually got more than blue book value(which was actually very close to what I paid for it new with discounts.)

OP
OP
theplankeye

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
37C19C2B-5672-4C68-A693-DDFAE163B1E8.jpeg
What trim is your truck?
It is an STX trim. On paper, it is an XL with an STX appearance package. (STX badging on truck, not XL)

23.5 k miles
STX package
FX4 package
Sync 3 infotainment (Apple CarPlay, Android Auto)
Factory spray-in liner
360 cam (cameras all around the truck with views stitched together to make a simulated aerial view)
Fifth wheel prep, goose neck ready with ball kit
Tailgate fold out step
Bed lights
Heavy service front suspension

Added:
Amp research power steps
Lariat front bumper (adds fogs)
Lariat 20” Wheels (tires 50%+)
Bed mat
Hard fold tonneau
Ford alarm
Carhart seat covers (on seats since new)
Ford heavy duty mats

Condition: nearly showroom. Two bucket hand wash method since new. Not a scratch on it. This is the top 1% condition truck that you are always encouraged not to select when using auto value calculators. You could tell someone this is a new truck and they would believe you.

Last edited:

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
This is why I worked out my 6% under invoice deal without the mention of a trade in.

I will trade it in separately and won't go below KBB.

OP
OP
theplankeye

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Better make sure they will meet KBB right now then.
Sponsored