Sponsored

Do Rubicons Really Have Better Resale Value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You’re point may be spot on but I’m Not sure I buy the data. I doubt anybody sold their sport 3 years later for more than msrp. Given you can buy them New from the dealer for 10% off all daynow, but hey more power to them if so.
It's Kelley Blue Book data. But of course you are probably right.

It would be pretty cool though!

I think it just shows that in the used market there is more demand at the lower end of the price scale. I don't find that too hard to believe. I'm not reading too much into the actual numbers.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
It's Kelley Blue Book data. But of course you are probably right.

It would be pretty cool though!

I think it just shows that in the used market there is more demand at the lower end of the price scale. I don't find that too hard to believe. I'm not reading too much into the actual numbers.
Agreed. It’s just like options. Zero option cars sell for the same basically as high spec. I would expect a zero option Sport beats all others percentage wise. Ok maybe it would need AC!

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
TLDR: Do Rubicons really have the best resale value of all the trims? NO. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

I have seen a few of these "You're an idiot if you don't buy a Rubicon" threads and one thing they tout is the better resale value of the Rubicon.

I had to wonder if that was actually the case. I mean people say it with so much conviction that I figured it must be true but I wanted to see for myself.

Now, I don't have order guides from 2015, so I had to go with base vehicles (standard options) that I had MSRP for, but I used that and Kelley Blue Book for values. I looked at trade-in values and at private sale values and they were pretty consistent other than Sport doing better at Private Sale.

Here is resale/residual % for all 4 trims based on a 2015 with 36,000 miles in good condition in NC:

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 7.37.39 PM.png

The winner? The lowly base Sport 4 Door. And yes. You can actually sell it 3 years later for more than you paid for it.

So I ask you. Why would anyone buy anything other than a base Sport?
The Rubicon resale meme has been floating around quite a bit, given as a reason to buy that model, without much supporting evidence. I had been meaning to look into details on the matter. Thanks for sharing your research.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
You’re point may be spot on but I’m Not sure I buy the data. I doubt anybody sold their sport 3 years later for more than msrp. Given you can buy them New from the dealer for 10% off all daynow, but hey more power to them if so.
Some posters in other threads had mentioned selling their used JKs at prices that seemed inflated. In fact I responded in one thread, wondering who were these foolish persons paying high prices for used JKs, when for not much more the buyers could have gotten a new JK. I found out some sellers have added items to their JKs, and that is a reason for the high resale price. And that does muddy the waters in terms of what people are really getting for their used JKs. If the owner puts thousands of dollars into various parts, then that cost should also be taken into account, when determining the true resale value.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Intere
Some posters in other threads had mentioned selling their used JKs at prices that seemed inflated. In fact I responded in one thread, wondering who were these foolish persons paying high prices for used JKs, when for not much more the buyers could have gotten a new JK. I found out some sellers have added items to their JKs, and that is a reason for the high resale price. And that does muddy the waters in terms of what people are really getting for their used JKs. If the owner puts thousands of dollars into various parts, then that cost should also be taken into account, when determining the true resale value.
Interesting point. I also considered some of these may be headed for export where they would fetch more than in the US and the dealers are not allowed to sell a vehicle to be exported. I know that happens with Range Rovers.

Sponsored

Rubiwon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jkur
Initial depreciation is the issue. Just traded in 2017 jkur that I owned for 7 months with 3500 miles. Trade in was 700 less than purchase price. See if you can do that with most other non wranglers. And the deal was made after the price for the new car was done.

stinggray

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Jeep
Initial depreciation is the issue. Just traded in 2017 jkur that I owned for 7 months with 3500 miles. Trade in was 700 less than purchase price. See if you can do that with most other non wranglers. And the deal was made after the price for the new car was done.
Out of curiosity, what trim and how optioned?

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Not only is resale high on the Wrangler Unlimited, they typically have some of the lowest insurance rates in the country.

TduP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, Lexus RX 350 Fsport
Yep. Even 75%-80% is ridiculously high. Average car after 3 years is closer to 50%-55% I believe.
Agreed.
After 3 years my 2015 2dr JK Sport is worth about 80% and will be part of my trade on my JL Unlimited Rubicon. I agree with the statement, that you get whichever Wrangler you really want, and you will do just fine leasing it.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
I'm trying to figure out why anyone on the planet would pay more for a 3-year-old vehicle with 36K miles than a brand new version, with a full manufacturer's warranty and no wear/tear issues.

The only thing I can come up with is the possibility that a lot of people buy the Sport as a "blank slate" and add thousands of dollars in modifications and upgrades, spending as much (or more) than they would have on a Rubicon but making it much more personalized. When selling, these modifications bring slightly more value to to the vehicle leading to the high resale values. Just my guess.

If I were in the market for a JK, I'd get a totally stock Rubicon over a modded Sport at the same price, with the assumption that the Rubicon's upgrades and additional capability are supported by the warranty and factory installation and testing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm trying to figure out why anyone on the planet would pay more for a 3-year-old vehicle with 36K miles than a brand new version, with a full manufacturer's warranty and no wear/tear issues.

The only thing I can come up with is the possibility that a lot of people buy the Sport as a "blank slate" and add thousands of dollars in modifications and upgrades, spending as much (or more) than they would have on a Rubicon but making it much more personalized. When selling, these modifications bring slightly more value to to the vehicle leading to the high resale values. Just my guess.

If I were in the market for a JK, I'd get a totally stock Rubicon over a modded Sport at the same price, with the assumption that the Rubicon's upgrades and additional capability are supported by the warranty and factory installation and testing.
Well first of all it was more than the original cost of the vehicle not more than a brand new vehicle. Jeeps get more expensive every year.

Secondly i would take those numbers with a grain of salt.

But look at some used wranglers and you will see how high the resale is. Supply and demand.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Well first of all it was more than the original cost of the vehicle not more than a brand new vehicle. Jeeps get more expensive every year.

Secondly i would take those numbers with a grain of salt.

But look at some used wranglers and you will see how high the resale is. Supply and demand.
Yes resale is high, that's why we are looking at new rather than used. Here in So Cal, before the JL came out Huntington Beach JCDR would have 150-200 Wranglers in stock at any time, so I'm not sure supply was limited at least in this area.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
D5A1DB4F-8360-4DF2-9533-93EDF38BB618.jpeg
This is example from Manheim auto auction kinda gives a good ball park figure of a 2015 rubicon pricing from auction perspective.

86EB7672-3D9D-4C8B-BE2C-6112ACB052D2.jpeg

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
6A2718EA-F7DC-4575-9FEE-9998AB350681.jpeg
B0CDE727-34FF-4BC8-8FB0-7B12CBACB2EC.jpeg
This is same year Sahara