Sponsored

Better Rubicon JL Resale Value - 3.6 v6 or 2.0 turbo 4 ?

alexJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR ordered - owned 21, 19, 14, 08
Looking for any opinions or direction on deciding what is the better option on a Rubicon JL order.
New 2.0 Turbo 4 or the established and proven 3.6 v6???
Driven daily and would love the feeling of additional acceleration if the Turbo offered that, but I have the same reservations and concerns as most.
- How worrisome is having the first run of a new engine being used on the Wrangler?
- How is the public going to take to this engine ... years from now will it be what people are looking for in a Rubicon, or what they want to avoid. Don't want to be on the wrong end of this decision.
Thanks for your thoughts and advice!
Sponsored

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
Looking for any opinions or direction on deciding what is the better option on a Rubicon JL order.
Driven daily and would love the feeling of additional acceleration if the Turbo offered that, but I have the same reservations and concerns as most.
- How worrisome is having the first run of a new engine being used on the Wrangler?
- How is the public going to take to this engine ... years from now will it be what people are looking for in a Rubicon, or what they want to avoid. Don't want to be on the wrong end of this decision.
I can’t see how this question can be answered with anything other than opinion.

Many reviews stated that they couldn’t tell the difference between the 4 and 6 banger.

If gas skyrockets, yes the 4 will be worth more.

If people grenade the 4 banger then the 6 will hold more value.

The future will let us know.

OP
OP
alexJL

alexJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can’t see how this question can be answered with anything other than opinion.

Many reviews stated that they couldn’t tell the difference between the 4 and 6 banger.

If gas skyrockets, yes the 4 will be worth more.

If people grenade the 4 banger then the 6 will hold more value.

The future will let us know.
If only we all had the JEEP Crystal Ball... so hard to make this decision. One positive thing on the 2.0 Turbo 4 is reading everywhere you can easily get additional power out of it with a minor tuning.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I had a 1.8t in a Jetta in the past, and flashed it. Tons more power in a matter of minutes. That said, that was the most unreliable car I've ever owned. I'm not comparing it to this engine, totally different and I expect this engine will be much better, but from my own experience, I think I'm going to steer away from the turbo. I plan on keeping this jeep long term, and expect less issues, at least less expensive issues down the road.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Oh to actually give my opinion on your question, I think it will come down to the reliability of that 2.0. If it ends up being amazing and is actually better on gas, than it would hold a higher value.

Sponsored

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
While the potential for improved gas mileage may be a benefit to the 2.0, the fact that FCA recommends higher octane fuel (91) may negatively impact overall cost savings (if you use it).

Last edited:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
While the potential for improved gas mileage may be a benefit to the 2.0, the fact that FCA recommends higher octane fuel (91) which negatively impacts overall cost savings (if you use it).
If that's the case it might actually mean it's less cost efficient than the 3.6, not even including the fact that you are paying an extra $1k for the engine.

SpaceDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
SpaceDog
Some numbers I worked through really quick. These are based upon my current driving requirements as well as gas prices in central Indiana and using other forum members' real-world MPG for a Rubicon. Take it with a grain of salt.

3.6 Auto
--------------
Est MPG: 17.5MPG (real world)
Tank Size: 21.5G
Miles per tank: 376.25
Avg Fuel Cost: $2.49/G (86 oct)
Cost per tank: $53.54
Fill-up Freq: 10 days
Fill-up/yr: ~36.5

21.5 * 2.49 * 36.5 = $1,954.21/yr fuel cost

2.0 Turbo
--------------
Est MPG: 20 (real world 'guesstimate')
Tank Size: 21.5G
Miles per tank: 430
Avg Fuel Cost: $3.09/G (91-93 oct)
Cost per tank: $66.44
Fill-up Freq: 11.5 days
Fill-up/yr: ~31.75

21.5 * 3.09 * 31.75 = $2,109.31/yr fuel cost

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
I have a hunch there won't be any difference is resale, as long as the 2.0 is a reliable engine....The only big difference in potential resale with the engines available today would be between those 2 and the diesel, and we'll have to see how that does in the Wrangler to know if it will hold its premium....I have to say, as a person that wasn't never enamored with the 3.6 in my JK's, what they have done with it in the JL is fantastic, I thought hard about waiting for the 2.0 but pulled the trigger and even if the 2.0 does do moderately better in some categories I can honestly say I won't have buyers remorse based on my impressions over 700 miles on the JLUR.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Resale is typically determined by the overall majority of buyers, not the opinion of a passionate few forum members, so the most we can do is speculate. If Jeep goes in the direction of phasing out the V6, then I suspect many buyers will look at the turbo 2.0 is the more 'modern' and newest engine.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alexJL

alexJL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After infinite debate I will opt with the safe play of the proven v6. Everyone I have spoken to sums it up that if it were a lease why not have fun with the turbo, but to buy the first model year, play it smart with the v6.
THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
After infinite debate I will opt with the safe play of the proven v6. Everyone I have spoken to sums it up that if it were a lease why not have fun with the turbo, but to buy the first model year, play it smart with the v6.
THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT
I’m gonna order the Turbo Friday , I read it has more power and quicker off the start as well

Chicago

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU black on black loaded with turbo engine
Occupation
Pipefitter
I’m gonna order the Turbo Friday , I read it has more power and quicker off the start as well
The You tube videos I saw said the turbo was very impressive, I may take the gamble I heard they been testing the Jlu for quite some time

BaldEagle

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon jl
Thinking same thing V6 vs V4
Sponsored