2-Door and 4-Door resale value

AbeWay

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Has anyone sold a 2-door and 4-door and seen a huge difference in value?
Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
What do you mean? JK or JL ? what models?

OP
OP
AbeWay

AbeWay

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
What do you mean? JK or JL ? what models?
We're talking JL before getting a new one if I only plan on having the second one for 5 years.
No kids so I don't need the 4 door but I'm imaging resale on the 4 door is higher based on the fact over half of them they sell new is Unlimited

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ahhh.. okay, I know JK's held there value very well and suspect the JL's will do the same.. Two or Four doors don't matter it's based on condition and mileage when it comes to value. I have traded in 2 two doors and 2 four door JK's and was given good trade values on all of them .. I say get what you want and enjoy it

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Don't be surprised if they low ball you though.. Probably not many used JL's out there yet, so they are going to have to price it low to sell it .. otherwise most people will just get a new one if they are close in price .. make sense ?

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No kids so I don't need the 4 door but I'm imaging resale on the 4 door is higher based on the fact over half of them they sell new is Unlimited
Much higher than half, about 80% of Wranglers sold are the 4-door Unlimited

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
We're talking JL before getting a new one if I only plan on having the second one for 5 years.
That gives the 2door much better resale value in my opinion. You’ll get better and more exclusive buyers then with a 4door. Less competition too.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That gives the 2door much better resale value in my opinion. You’ll get better and more exclusive buyers then with a 4door. Less competition too.
They sell less, because there is less demand. That is not going to push up the prices. You have a significantly smaller pool of potential buyers, it's a much harder sell.

KBB says 2-doors only slightly lag behind 4-doors in residuals.

At 36 months: 67.4% (4dr) vs 65.0% (2-dr)
At 60 months: 58.8% vs 57.3%

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
They sell less, because there is less demand. That is not going to push up the prices. You have a significantly smaller pool of potential buyers, it's a much harder sell.

KBB says 2-doors only slightly lag behind 4-doors in residuals.

At 36 months: 67.4% (4dr) vs 65.0% (2-dr)
At 60 months: 58.8% vs 57.3%
A 2 door on the used market will sell for it's value far more often than a 4 door will. Less competition means higher prices, period. 2 door owners want a 2 door and will pay for it. 4 door seekers typically shop around for other vehicles. There's also just way too many 4 doors around too.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
A 2 door on the used market will sell for it's value far more often than a 4 door will. Less competition means higher prices, period. 2 door owners want a 2 door and will pay for it.
In theory, but not in practice. Demand drives the market. Just ask @Litfuse his experience trying to sell his 2-door JLR with a manual transmission.

This is Jeep, not Ferrari.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
In theory, but not in practice. Demand drives the market. Just ask @Litfuse his experience trying to sell his 2-door JLR with a manual transmission.

This is Jeep, not Ferrari.
JLs came out a year ago. Citing a selling experience already is a bit silly as it's too early. A worthy used market for either 4 or 2 doors still have a couple of years to go. There's no reason to buy somebody elses used vehicle already when one can get the same vehicle brand new for slightly more. There are plenty of 4 door JLs on the market sitting and not being sold either. Tough selling is not exclusive to 2 doors or Litfuse at the moment.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes, but there is a reason why dealers stock more 4-doors than 2-doors. More demand. Same reason why they are all automatics.

Quick AutoTrader search for new inventory

2D Rubi MT: 56
2D Rubi AT: 716

4D Rubi MT: 182
4D Rubi AT: 4,982

Jeep really shot itself in the foot with the success of the 4-door Wrangler. The 2-door is becoming a dying breed like the manual transmission. They already killed off the 2-door Sahara because of low demand.

The 2-door still holds its value because it's still a Wrangler. But it's just not going to make it more valuable because there are less. The 4D only holds slightly better residuals than 2D as I posted above.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
But it's just not going to make it more valuable because there are less.
We'll agree to disagree. Somebody selling a 2 Door is far more likely to meet the right buyer willing to pay it's worth then somebody selling a 4 Door. There's simply too many Unlimited's around to get what they're valued at. People are trying to sell their JL's at KBB value and receive crickets in response. Who cares what KBB says. Less is definitely more when it comes to retaining value.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
There was an article on here couple weeks ago regarding JL resale value. Number one vehicle with resale value is the 4 door JL , the number two best resale value is the 2 door JL.
you can’t go wrong with either one. Common sense tells me if you’re concerned about ease of selling with an 80/20 split a four-door will be easier to sell. Having said that I ordered and own a two door it’s the only two door 4 x 4 SUV available in United States period. which to me makes it very unique. I like that.
Sponsored