damyers8

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Punk'n JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Was there a particular side you approached from?
Coming in from the drivers side was the only way I could do it. I originally thought that it wouldn't work so I used some clear hose, but was taking too long. Turned out I had just enough space to clear.
Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Coming in from the drivers side was the only way I could do it. I originally thought that it wouldn't work so I used some clear hose, but was taking too long. Turned out I had just enough space to clear.
Thanks for your fast replies!

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'm planning to change my diff oil (for the 1st time ever, any vehicle) in my 18 Rubi and had a few questions. Initially, I'm just going to change the rear, and then the front later. As a Rubi, I have the Dana 44 M220 and am planning on using Amsoil 75w-90 as I never do any towing. First question, can any components be hurt by using oil with friction modifier in a locking diff? Any reason for or against using FM? Second Q, I'm also planning to replace the diff cover with the AEV diff cover. I have about 7,500 miles on the Jeep, should I buy a new diff gasket as well?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm planning to change my diff oil (for the 1st time ever, any vehicle) in my 18 Rubi and had a few questions. Initially, I'm just going to change the rear, and then the front later. As a Rubi, I have the Dana 44 M220 and am planning on using Amsoil 75w-90 as I never do any towing. First question, can any components be hurt by using oil with friction modifier in a locking diff? Any reason for or against using FM? Second Q, I'm also planning to replace the diff cover with the AEV diff cover. I have about 7,500 miles on the Jeep, should I buy a new diff gasket as well?
In an ELD (electronic locking differential), friction modifier will not affect anything (nothing to slip), so you will not have any issues using the Amsoil. If I might suggest, I would use 75W-110 instead of 75W-90 since 75W-110 is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before the SAE J306 tables were updated and it will give you more protection than 75W-90 will.

As long as the gasket surface on the new cover is similar to the OEM, you should be able to reuse the gasket since it is rubber and remains flexible.

Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
In an ELD (electronic locking differential), friction modifier will not affect anything (nothing to slip), so you will not have any issues using the Amsoil. If I might suggest, I would use 75W-110 instead of 75W-90 since 75W-110 is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before the SAE J306 tables were updated and it will give you more protection than 75W-90 will.

As long as the gasket surface on the new cover is similar to the OEM, you should be able to reuse the gasket since it is rubber and remains flexible.
Thanks for responding! I've already ordered the 75w-90, so maybe I'll save that for the front and order 75w-110 for the back.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Do the JLs have a gasket vs RTV ? My JK had RTV and when I changed my own the first time, I use Lube Lockers and they are awesome !

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
Good to know

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do the JLs have a gasket vs RTV ? My JK had RTV and when I changed my own the first time, I use Lube Lockers and they are awesome !
Both the front and rear on my Rubicon had rubber gaskets with metal inserts (no silicone).

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I thought I read somewhere that the rubber gasket is meant to be re-usable as long as no damage to it. I could be wrong. But I thought it was someone with some technical knowledge that commented.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is the Amsoil gear oil all its talked up to be??? Apparently it out performs everything else but I’m always skeptic of reviews. Does anyone know if it’s actually that good? And if not, what do you recommend?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is the Amsoil gear oil all its talked up to be??? Apparently it out performs everything else but I’m always skeptic of reviews. Does anyone know if it’s actually that good? And if not, what do you recommend?
Yes; it IS that good. In fact, it is arguably the best gear oil on the market today. I towed 8-9K pounds with an F-150 in temperatures varying from -20F to +117F in the mountains for 45% of 160K miles and the Amsoil was perfect in every way. In addition, with a preferred account its price is within a rocks throw of other oils. Though I use other engine and transmission oils, my axles always receive Amsoil.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yes; it IS that good. In fact, it is arguably the best gear oil on the market today. I towed 8-9K pounds with an F-150 in temperatures varying from -20F to +117F in the mountains for 45% of 160K miles and the Amsoil was perfect in every way. In addition, with a preferred account its price is within a rocks throw of other oils. Though I use other engine and transmission oils, my axles always receive Amsoil.
I like their bag-like packaging, too. It would make it easy to get up in there and squeeze it into the fill holes.

Back to an earlier question, I've run many miles with Mobil 1 gear lube with the LS additive in my JKUR's e-locker rear end and it never caused an issue. I have Valvoline synthetic 75w140 in it now, like my JL, and I am not 100% sure, but it might also have the LS additive in it. No issues n either Jeep.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
How does one get set up for an AMSOIL Preferred Acct ?
Sponsored