First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
It’s not a bad idea to make sure what recovery gear you purchase is actually rated/certified.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I don't know about other areas, but here in Vegas we have the Southern Nevada Off-road Recovery group (SNORR). I know a couple times a year they put on a recovery clinic for anyone interested to learn proper recovery techniques.
+1. I've done the same, re: first aid methods specific to motorcycle accidents, and basic trauma care for accidents at the sportsman's club (i.e., firing range).

I've literally said to my wife that I don't ever want to be mentioned in a news article where the words "victim" and/or "GoFundMe" also appear.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Folks the outdoors is a dangerous place. There are people, places, and things out there that can and will kill you if you are stupid. Do like the Boy Scouts used to do “Be Prepared!” A little bit of study, a little preparedness and using the brain you’ve been given can mean the difference between a bit of inconvenience and a desperate situation which can cause discomfort, injury or even death.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
This is one of the biggest reasons I LOVE MORR and how popular it is. As people watch it for entertainment, they're gleaning how to do things right. Matt regularly has instances where they don't do something because it's unsafe.
Are we watching the same channel? They have terrible safety - no safety glasses most of the time when grinding metal in the shop, welding without a helmet, etc. Then on the trails they do all sorts of dangerous things. I would never count on MORR to teach safety. These screenshots are from the video they released this morning:

Jeep Wrangler JL Death on the trail snapshot2

Jeep Wrangler JL Death on the trail snapshot

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This is the very reason I upgraded most of my recovery gear. A d-ring shackle (only for sharp recovery points) and a factor 55 rope retention pulley are the only metal in my recovery kit. I don’t even run a hook but a loop at then end of my winch line.

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When I was at university 2 of my engineering classmates died summer after first year.
* one-- Fall from top of silo being dismantled
* the other-- Winch accident -- Canadian National Railway. He was cut in two.

Youtube videos are scary.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Those receivers are only as good as the metal and fabrication, w/ so much product that's now China sourced I would imagine there have been some inconsistency in quality and integrity of these important parts.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Are we watching the same channel? They have terrible safety - no safety glasses most of the time when grinding metal in the shop, welding without a helmet, etc. Then on the trails they do all sorts of dangerous things.
I was thinking the same thing! While entertaining to watch most of the time, safety-first doesn't seem to be policy. They even often joke about it on camera. They do usually use a closed pintle hitch most of the time now; a little surprising to see your screen shots.

@DadJokes has a good point about looking for rated/certified recovery gear. I've seen a lot of cheap tow straps with steel hooks on the end that have failed, including my own before I knew better. Forces add up quickly and things happen faster. I've seen a snowcat winch cable snap tight over a snowmobile and split it.

BayouTiger

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392 XR
Are we watching the same channel? They have terrible safety - no safety glasses most of the time when grinding metal in the shop, welding without a helmet, etc. Then on the trails they do all sorts of dangerous things. I would never count on MORR to teach safety. These screenshots are from the video they released this morning:

To be fair, the ball in the accident was dropped way down and would be putting huge moment stress at the receiver.
yes they do play it loose with safety, but pulling with a flat ball would not be inherently unsafe though it’s crazy to be jerking from it.
I do see MORR properly secure winch vehicles and such. Problem with all these videos is that way too many folks will try to emulate them with no training and even less sense.

Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
To be fair, the ball in the accident was dropped way down and would be putting huge moment stress at the receiver.
yes they do play it loose with safety, but pulling with a flat ball would not be inherently unsafe though it’s crazy to be jerking from it.
I do see MORR properly secure winch vehicles and such. Problem with all these videos is that way too many folks will try to emulate them with no training and even less sense.
There's absolutely no reason a guy making millions on Youtube should be pulilng from balls, much less any of us. A Factor55 HitchLink Pro that can be inserted sideways for that kind of horizontal pull and costs $150. Other options, such as a steel shackle insert with a D-ring, cost far less.

BayouTiger

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392 XR
There's absolutely no reason a guy making millions on Youtube should be pulilng from balls, much less any of us. A Factor55 HitchLink Pro that can be inserted sideways for that kind of horizontal pull and costs $150. Other options, such as a steel shackle insert with a D-ring, cost far less.
I don’t disagree, but I’ve probably done it dozens of times around the homestead. They usually have a pintle hook for this. Just takes some common sense to stay safe.

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Bottom line, no matter how unpopular it is to be "that guy" ALWAYS speak up and say something if you see people doing something unsafe.

We all can see that improper equipment used on what was not a recovery point.

Always be safe and if you need to tell someone that they need to ride in the second seat because they done have the proper equipment on their vehicle like real recovery points then do so. It's better to have someone with hurt feelings than to no longer have the person at all.

OP
OP
Old Jeeper

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Bottom line, no matter how unpopular it is to be "that guy" ALWAYS speak up and say something if you see people doing something unsafe.

We all can see that improper equipment used on what was not a recovery point.

Always be safe and if you need to tell someone that they need to ride in the second seat because they done have the proper equipment on their vehicle like real recovery points then do so. It's better to have someone with hurt feelings than to no longer have the person at all.
Its the old axiom: Funny 'til someone gets HURT!

A guy I wheeled with for years headed off to Colorado, he is not even on a trail, driving down a dirt road...a rock came rolling down the hill, took a bounce and nailed him in the head, killed instantly, it was a big rock...not always a mistake or doing something wrong, sometimes just bad luck...3 other folks in his Jeep none of them got hurt.

J_Winslow

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Its the old axiom: Funny 'til someone gets HURT!

A guy I wheeled with for years headed off to Colorado, he is not even on a trail, driving down a dirt road...a rock came rolling down the hill, took a bounce and nailed him in the head, killed instantly, it was a big rock...not always a mistake or doing something wrong, sometimes just bad luck...3 other folks in his Jeep none of them got hurt.
That is an unavoidable accident... yanking on a drop ball hitch is avoidable. Do you not grasp the difference in an accident and winning a Darwin award?
Sponsored